Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Act of 2015

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I wouldn't say "without regard to safety rules" yet. The article is focused on how the bill allows for emissions in replicated cars, but doesn't cover low volume production of "new design" cars. In fact, it doesn't mention safety at all. I haven't read the full bill yet, but I doubt that it doesn't take into account safety. In fact, it seems like its leaving the safety aspect up to the National Highway Traffic SAFETY Administration. What I believe will happen is the NHTSA will allow manufacture of replicas to the original safety standards of that model year. For instance, a 67' mustang replica would be built with 67' model year safety standards. Now, there may be a few things changed, like seat belt requirements and such, but I believe that the most of the safety standards will remain the same. The bill really gives a lot of leeway on the NHTSA for that sort of thing.

The bill also allows replica manufacturers to use modern engines, if they choose too, but since the original design wouldn't have that, then the manufacturer simply needs to comply with the installation standards set by the engine manufacturer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles