Autohome columbus and k9 rack

andrewh

/dev/4wd
hey Folks,

Looking for some help. I have a columbus RTT and the eeziawn k9 roof rack. It looks like the mounting rails for the tent line up over two of the slats of the k9. My arb rtt was spaced enough to be between the slats so that i could screw it on with the k9 mounting kit. Does anyone have this combination? If so what did you do? i do not want to drill through my rack unless absolutely necessary.

chmura

Adventurer
I'm curious to know as well! I was thinking about the same thing. I just purchased a K9 rack and I want a autohome too. Good question and hopefully someone chimes in.

andrewh

/dev/4wd
I got it mounted, its off to one side for now, ill get some pictures of it this weekend as its already dark when i get home. Can you count the number of slats you have? my rack may be wider/narrower than yours

chmura

Adventurer
I got it mounted, its off to one side for now, ill get some pictures of it this weekend as its already dark when i get home. Can you count the number of slats you have? my rack may be wider/narrower than yours

I have the 2.2m version. Its basically a the same one that fits the 5th gen 4runner, 4th gen 4runner, Land Cruiser, etc. I believe I have 6 slats and 5 cross rails. I'm at work now so I cant count exactly, if I get home tonight I can. Let me know if you still need me to. But I believe K9 uses the same rack for mid/full size SUV's.

Check out post #66 here. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/98414-2013-Toyota-4Runner-Equipt-Edition-Build/page7

Yes please post pictures when you can. :)

chmura

Adventurer
I stand corrected. I have 5 slats and 5 cross bars. Weird. When I checked the dimensions of the rack they are the same as the 5th gen 4Runner.

andrewh

/dev/4wd
Alright, picture time!

you can see here that it sits flush with the right side of the rack.
IMG_20160131_130107.jpg

Theres about 6 inches from the front of the tent to the front of the rack
IMG_20160131_130110.jpg

If you zoom in on this pic, you can barely make out the tracks that the tent has underneath, they are as close left wise to the nearest slat as possible, this is to bring the side of the tent flush with the side of the rack on the right side with no hang over. This is the right side
IMG_20160131_130121.jpg

Left side, you can see the same thing,
IMG_20160131_130124.jpg

Ill get an overview front and rear in a minute. those didnt come out and were blurry. Im OK with the off center since im going to be putting a manta up on the left side. should even out the weight.

-Andrew

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Nice photos Andrew. Your truck looks great. There is a difference in the 70 Series rack and the 4Runner rack from K9. The 70 Series rack in the photos is a 1400mm wide x 2200mm long platform (55"x87"). The 4Runner K9 platforms are 1250mm wide x 2200mm long (50"x 87"). The spacing for the slats and the quantity of slats is different on the different widths. So for Andrew's tent, he had to offset the tent to align the mounting track. I just had a customer write me about mounting a Maggiolina on the K9 and referenced this thread. We measured it out to see if it would work. The tent mounting track is 24-3/4" on center. On the 4Runner 1250mm wide platform, the spaces between slat 1 & 2, and slats 4 & 5 measure from 22-3/4" to 29-3/4". So on this tent, the customer can lay the tent right on top of the platform and either use the Autohome hardware or the K9 RTT mounting kit to attach the tent to the rack. I am happy to help anyone with mounting measurements to see if we are compatible. Feel free to contact me any time.

Cheers,

BulletHead

Adventurer
@Equipt Paul, so what is the option for 1.4m wide K9 racks and Autohome Maggiolina combinations? For those the mounting tracks land right on the front/rear running tracks right? What is the mounting solution? Please advise.

Equipt

Eezi-Awn just recently came out with a hard shell roof top tent mount that clamps around the top slats that run front to back and provides mounting point that is adjustable left to right. Usually the mounting extrusions on the bottom of the hard shell tents run front to back, parallel to the K9 slats. And rarely do the tent extrusions line up with the spaces between the slats. This new mount takes care of it.

IMG_4115.JPGIMG_4121.JPGIMG_7493.JPG

You can learn more about these on our site, here.

http://www.equipt1.com/item/k9-hard-shell-roof-top-tent-top-flush-mount-set

Cheers,

Equipt

Perhaps. The K9 slats are 5-1/8" wide and 1/2" thick. The width of the slat could work if narrower, but the thickness needs to be the same for the clamp to work.

Cheers,

brentbba

Explorer
Perhaps. The K9 slats are 5-1/8" wide and 1/2" thick. The width of the slat could work if narrower, but the thickness needs to be the same for the clamp to work.

Cheers,

Thanks for those specs Paul! I'll pull out my micrometer and take some measurements!! :)

Edit - width is fine at 3-1/2" but thickness at .525" might not cut it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94