F-150, pulling the trigger, where to start for specific use?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Dahhh, thanks Raul, saw the large blue letters and thought it was an ad, ;)

Just finished Raul's build thread, WOW, great thread and nice work, I don't have your fab skills!

My education there was do it right the first time, simplicity and only do what is needed, at least for me.

The only way I'm getting the money out of my truck is to drive it out!

Tires seem to be the first on my list!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm now thinking of a platform and what might be integrated into that, within reason. I'll be studying the platform threads too. :)

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Followed your thread and it's GREAT Raul! Wish I had your energy and skills!

I did begin with my plan only to hit a snag, so some feed back would certainly be appreciated!

Took it in for the go over inspection, turns out I'm looking at a couple grand + to get the heater and A/C fixed as it should be, still works, but not the best. On top of that, ball joints seem to be coming up too. It's going to need new tires before I get too far away from home. So, I'm looking at maybe 3K to just get back to good and ready condition.

That is a set back!

Naturally, the thought of putting that money into a new truck came to mind.

I was looking at 2011/12/13 years, ext. cab, 4x4, just a must. They aren't cheap with good miles. I've always just looked at the XLT's but then, by mistake I hit on an XL.

Verified the year on an XL, it's a 2009, 5.4 gas automatic. Scary part to me is it has 149K on the odometer. I think the price is really right and there are a few things I like about it.

Like to know what you guys think!

It comes with an ARE utility topper, "site commander" double rear doors, outside storage on the driver's side, lift up windows on the other side, front glass with wire cage but you can see through the rear door windows. There is a utility rack on top as well.

It also appears to have a sliding platform that pulls out the rear and a large steel storage box at the front of the slider.

Another platform could easily go over that storage box and slider.

And, the truck is missing the back seats! There are two metal drawer systems facing out both sides and space between them, hopefully big enough for my boxer to ride, if not, one drawer system can come out.

Body is in great shape, the driver's seat is worn, nothing seat covers won't fix. It has almost new tires on it.

Seems the XL has everything the XLT has except power windows and seats, at least on this one. Power window kits are $100. How often do I change my seating position? Almost never.

I think I can get it just under 10K, that means money for mods. My though is going with some wheels and larger tires when the tires wear down. A bull bar and brush guard with a winch. Might get heavier shocks. Lights of course. Dual batteries as I mentioned. The rest is interior work.

It's Ford white, good paint, didn't see any dings or scratches. The grill is broken, so a custom grill goes on.

Here's my real concern, it's 400 miles away!

I like the utility topper, slide, box, drawer systems, might be 4k+ in stuff, so I'm looking at it as a 6K 09 XL.

I have a couple big trips in mind, (big for me) run up the the Arctic Circle/AK and down through the western states. Another mid-west eastern run, after that more local outings.

Can't help but thinking, I'd name it the Bi-Polar Express, since it's all white, LOL. If I'm naming it before buying that might be an indication of a mental state of mind with this affair!

I know, it's whatever trips your trigger, but I'm not familiar with the 09 XL, seems it would be more capable than my '99, but don't know. Any tips on long distance buying? I'd hate to get there and hear the 4x4 clunk and chatter!

I'll see about pulling pics when I get them.

Thoughts, prayers, support or mental health advice is all welcome! :)

p nut

butter
Short answer: NO!

You bought your truck new. You know the history. And you only have 90k on it. Doesn't make sense to go buy another truck with more miles and unknown history.

And this may be anecdotal, but had a relative with a 5.4 triton motor. With what he went through, I don't think I could recommend it to anyone. Just spark plug changes alone cost $$$.

Try to fix as much as you can yourself, if you want to save money. What's wrong with the A/C? Leak in the system? Or simple recharge? What about the heater? Is the core leaking? Or just a simple thermostat change needed?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Hey P Nut, thanks, I know you're on the right track! Part of it might be I'm tired of looking at the same dash.......guess I could change that!

The heater......they said it was $700 to flush it "properly" I know it was a sales pitch. Since then I got on Youtube, holy crap, a $5.00 fill kit, some flush, a garden hose and a couple buckets! It'd my GF's shop and I told her what I found! I won't be going there again! The heater is warm, not hot.

Now, the guy did say it could be broken trying to flush it, I understand that, and if so, they wanted $1,200 to replace the $50.00 core.

The A/C has a slow leak, recharging every year will probably get me by, but I'd sure hate to be in AZ without cold air!

I don't have an issue with ball joints or ongoing maintenance, actually the truck has pretty much just sat there. Deferred maintenance!

I know what you're saying that I know the truck, then again I don't really, I know I haven't had major issues, doesn't mean I can't have major issues. The miles I have don't concern me, the age does being 17 years old. I don't know, what I don't know, wires, hoses, seals, my odometer flickers too, forgot that.

A neighbor has an old F-150, close to mine in age, it has cancer and it's his work truck not his best vehicle. Mine is rust free except for surface rust below, nothing at all major.

My truck doesn't leak anything. I have babied when driving, I drive fast but not hard on it. The most the "A" arms have ever moved is going through corners on the highway, it's not been over anything really rough.

I always break in a vehicle like I'm going to use it. Last year I took it on a 800 mile round trip, worked fine!

It's kinda like Cecilia, shes breaking my confidence in her (LOL). Guess I'm gun shy over the age, might not be warranted.

I don't mind grease under my nails, but I'm 1. not up on new mechanical issues, 2. not up to getting under vehicles anymore and 3. not as limber as I use to be. I'm not done yet, but I don't want issues.

Now, it would worry me driving that back home, for sure, I'm just thinking that being 10 years new buys some peace of mind.

We have a 14 Terrain, very nice SUV, I'm getting my subby Forester sold now, selling my bikes in the spring, my back doesn't put up with much riding. The truck has to be multi-functional, I just don't drive ugly vehicles and I have to remain friends with a few snobs (actually they are pretty good folks) I can afford much better but I just cheap! I could get by with a white mild looking expedition looking rig ready to travel, my old gold slick mall crawler won't look very bad *****. But then, black or green and gold might look good.

I'd think the white utility look would get me past urban boondocking easier too, no one would think a thing of see that truck on a Lowe's parking lot or outside a gate at a construction site. All I need is 4 hours of crash time and I can move on, I hate paying $125 for a motel only to take a long nap.

Geeez, I could just go buy another Miata for fun and shine and build up the old truck I guess. Too many dang options! At least I've settled on a Ford truck for travels! :)

Last edited:

p nut

butter
I know what you're saying. I was in a similar conundrum a couple of months ago. I had thoughts of buying an older truck for less $$ (I've got cheapskate-itis as well), and maybe an older Tacoma reg cab 4x4 as a toy, or Civic hatchback for track days, or......bunch of other stuff.

But I'm looking at spending more time with the wife/kids, out wandering the west this summer and years to come, I figured the money would be best spent on a reliable and comfortable rig. As you said, I don't want to have issues in the depths of summer down South or in the bitter cold up north.

Also you SHOULD be excited to get in your car and drive. I'll admit it--I like looking at the pretty gauges in my new Ford than the old tired ones in my old '99 Tacoma. :D I spend a fair amount of time in mine, so I figured the extra $10-20k extra I'd spend on a new car would be justified. I ended up with a new F150, and although I can't say I don't think about the "maybe I should have just gone with an older truck" thing when I look at how much I spent on it---but when the kids are in with the ridiculous room out back, truck is packed, and we're heading out on a long road trip, I've definitely glad I went that route.

We all have our individual needs and got to find a good balance. Just follow your gut, and you'll be fine. Have fun!!

balexander87

Observer
Someone above mentioned this, and I think it bears reiterating. Get the essential fixes in place (assuming you have any) and start taking some trips. I've never built up a truck, but I have a somewhat modded mtn bike. Every time I go a bit without riding, I start obsessing over all the stuff I "need". Then I go ride and realize what I have is freaking awesome as is. I'm better off putting the money towards gas for a trip with my buds!!

Can't wait to see this thing out in the wild!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well P Nut, you're a wise man, you too Balexander!

When you look over at the other side of the hill the grass can always seem greener! I was considering something close to an even swap, selling my vehicles for a newer one but many had more miles. What really got me was`finding newer ones with large utility toppers that with a little work inside would be ready to go.

Balexander, I did the same thing with motorcycles! I had an XR 650, just had to have the V twin Transalp. Bought bags and didn't go more than 150 miles! Now, my cruiser is different, but I don't want to buy stuff for that anyway. Seems there is always some big kick going on about toys!

I looked out the window at my truck, it just sits there and shines, like it's ready to hit the road. It's always been ready, never failed me. Better than a good horse at 17 years old! Actually, I'd hate to see it a lot, or going down the road with some kid driving her. She'd probably be mistreated and abused by some kid thinking he was at SEMA and wreck her.

I guess I better git the first aid kit out and tend to her wounds, nurse her back to where she was and start using her. We'll just add to the memories and if I play it right she can haul my casket away!

I'll get her some new toys, spruce her up to the hottie she can be, at least hot enough for me.

So, that's taken care of, on to her make over. I think as soon as it's warm enough I'll get under and scratch her belly of that surface rust and give her an undercoat. Start looking for things to snag or get lose and wrap'er up. Her wheels just need a good cleaning and so does the inside.

Tonight I'll call the vet that use to work on her and get her over to him sometime soon.

I must have lost my mind! This site will do it to you, there is some very clever marketing going on here at the subliminal level getting us all excited over parts and equipment. I'll probably just look for a camper, what do you think about that? :)

p nut

butter
Get her shined up and out to play! I hope in 17 years, I can do the same to my truck.

Camper would be a great addition. I am a diehard ground tenter myself, but my wife appreciates the "luxuries" of a camper. :D We might compromise and get a Jumping Jack or a RTT. :elkgrin:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
P Nut, check Ebay for an RTT, one was listed for $1,100 and it looked like it was in good shape. I'll see if I can find it again and post it for you.

There will be those that use something 3 or 4 times and decide it's not for them, that's what I'd look for.

If I were in my 40's or younger, I'd jump on an RTT, or might say jump down from one, not any more.

I really like the Jumping Jack, they are about the size of my utility trailer, I remember the days of trenching around my tent for a good rain, being a few inches off the ground is the way I'd go. I'm more in favor of anything with less work now. LOL

In my uniformed opinion, I think the utility toppers would be better built being commercial grade than the run of the mill bed topper/camper. The latches and hardware are heavier and the racks on top take about 600 pounds. The door on one looks like a bank vault, or a hatchway of a ship.

I took pics of the truck the other day, need to find that cable to load them, i'll my my GF on that. It was dirty then, it's been shined up and ready for inspections. Lost a hub/wheel cap so I have that ordered too. Any good way of keeping those things on there?

We'll head to Florida in a few weeks and make a loop through Texas on the way back, that should be a pretty good test for the old truck, if my GF agrees over taking the Terrain.

I also need to get started on an equipment list and get started, which this thread was supposed to be about, LOL.

After repairs, the first major deal will be tires, any suggestions? Grappler vs KO's, which might be better for mud and snow while being quiet on the pavement and which sheds water on pavement the best?

I'll need to order some Expo decals I guess, while this site caused my addiction I'll be happy to advertise it! LOL

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Thanks for the tip on the RTT's. If I were to get one, I can get a bed rack that will keep it much lower, so not a huge issue. But I'm still loving my ground tent! :D

Regarding tires, I've heard good things about Nitto Terra Grapplers, but never tried them myself. I've had a few sets of KO's and they've performed well. Not a lot of mud around here, so no experience there, but they do well everywhere else. I've also heard that Goodyear Duratracs are a bit more hydroplane resistant, but heard not so great things about their sidewalls. So all hearsay for me :D but KO's have been good. They wear like iron, snow performance is good, and rides on road fairly quiet.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
View attachment 330339

Well, we tried to load a pic of the old truck, hopefully that's it.

I'll go with the KOs and get them ordered.

Went to another shop, they said $40 to flush the heater, not worth my time so the get it next week. The will shoot dye in the AC to see about any leak and I'll take that back in the Spring when it runs a bit.

On the list for the trailer:

More steel for a larger platform
New safety chains
New coupler
Batter box
Winch plate fabricated
New fenders
Black paint
New brake light kit and license plate bracket
Toggle switch and control panel for lighting
Spare tire carrier and spare
Jack stand

For the truck, a dual battery set up.
Platform designed
Tires
More later

Any tips with this stuff I'd sure like to hear them :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior