F-150, pulling the trigger, where to start for specific use?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Where my Mini Cooper idea was probably just fine, slightly modified, I've decided to back off due to my perceived issues with the reliability on the Mini. Fantastic gas mileage doesn't justify the difference to my old F-150.

So, beginning tomorrow (too busy today) the project begins.

The vehicle;

99 F-150 XLT, extended cab, 4x4, 5.0, towing package, now with 82K on the clock, with a matching snug bed cap. Never any mechanical issues, bought it new, a little slow kicking in or out the 4x4, but that is probably from very limited use, I'll use it weekly to get past that. A/C-heater needs attention and a PW needs a quick fix, other than that, it's in excellent condition.

Intended Use;

Overlanding in North America, no extreme off roading, no rock climbing, camping, with and without a utility trailer. Mostly highway but will go outback in the Western desert, boondocking, fire trails. Alaska is on the agenda and the Circle might be a goal. Anything a stock LR3 can do, I should be able to do, including Wal-Mart parking lots :)

Trailer, when used, hauls a motorcycle, toilet and kitchen gear, probably a generator and A/C.

Budget;

Let's say $5,000, can go up depending on the need/desire/cost justification. Like to stay under 7K, won't go to 10K on this truck.
Building this up isn't going to payoff much if I sold it, so I'll plan on driving the money out of it.

Requirements;

Dependability is paramount. The budget goes here first.

Independent for 5 to 7 days, usually 3 to 4 days,

Driver and passenger with one Boxer, all need to be comfortable. An easy unloading or modification will accommodate 2 or 3 more in the back seat, but rarely.

I'd like some custom touches, LED headlights, grill, maybe a hood and bumper cover, cosmetics, $500 of the budget might go here but the rest of any custom stuff won't be in that budget.

Need wheels? Not sure but I do need new tires, I usually go with BFG A/Ts, unless there is something better from you guys. My old truck has 15's, I'd go larger but I'm not sure what I do with the speedo.

Need a skid plate under the oil pan.

I'd like two full size spares, need one more.

Recover gear, I need your advice!

I have a bed liner, need a platform in the back for sleeping.

The bed cap lifts up, I'll go to an awning shop that does custom camper tops for boats. With the lid up I'll have tent sides and the tailgate end will have two options, one encloses the bed with a door, then an extended awning that connects to the trailer making an enclosed tunnel to the tentage on the trailer. A plank will lay on top of the tailgate in the down position and connect to the trailer, over the tongue so we can walk or crawl from bed into the trailer and out the back end. $500 should cover the sewing costs there, screens, snaps and zippers, I have material.

I have a small window A/C unit, 110V. $500 or ? for a generator. I already have heaters, propane, kerosene and electric.

One side of the trailer will hold the kitchen the other side the head, need a shower. Would like at least 25 gallons of water. Tank or cans. Not sure I want or need a black water holding tank, please advise on national parks.

I'd like a dual battery system, maybe 3 batteries, 250-500 watt converter, even with a generator on board. Will consider solar trade offs.

Need on board air and hose. What is your suggestion.

I have an ATV winch for the trailer. What is really need for the truck if anything. I will lean in the direction of safety.

There is a lot of room to mount and store stuff in the fender body and bed and above the frame under the bed, how can this space best be utilized? For what? May ford shallow waters. Underneath isn't a place for recovery gear. Just hate to see wasted space.

Planning on a fridge in the back of the cab, a top loader(?) , any suggestions, please! I know everyone is into that popular fridge, but if it's in the cab, what about a simple apartment type, the small dorum types.

Considering a nice looking rack for the top of the bed cap, any suggestions?

Range 400 miles, means additional fuel on board. I get 10 mpg in town, 16/17 on the highway and 500 to 1000 pounds in the bed makes little difference. Estimate is for the need for only 10 more gallons when that range is needed.

I'm not really interested in big suspension modifications other than shocks, maybe 2" lift, springs if needed, don't really know. With the usual camping gear, a bit on the light side, where do you see the weight of all this going?

I'll have an Icom 707, a CB, a marine radio, computers, cell phones and some misc. radio gear.

I need to cut this off, it's getting long with a lot of questions, sorry. I don't think the requirements are that tough or other than being an American cruiser for off the path camping is a big deal for the F-150.

But where do you begin, building reliability and comfort with a little go almost anywhere flavor?

Thanks guys!

p nut

butter
Not going to be too much help, but I would consider a few things:

* First, baseline and get any little issue fixed, no matter how insignificant it might seem. Reliability is #1 priority here, since really, in its current state, it's plenty capable for what you're looking to do.
* Winch is nice. But maybe just a hi-lift/tow rope might be just as good?
* Fridge: Reconsider this. A week long trip can easily be done with a good cooler. I have a Coleman Xtreme that has been out on 5-day trips, in the summer, with ice left over at the end. (Next cooler I get will be a Yeti). Much cheaper, more space, no wiring, etc.
* Fuel: How difficult is an extended range tank swap? I know Ford has had big tanks available for quite a while. My current F150 came stock with a 36 gal tank, and I love it. Couple of 5 gal cans in the bed works as well, I guess.
* Armor: Maybe the skid on the oil pan is good, but I would just go minimal here. You really won't need much, as these trucks have good clearance already.
* Tires: Don't skimp on these. I run BFG KO2's, but others have had good luck with Cooper and Goodyear tires. I've *heard* issues with Goodyears sidewalls, but no personal experience. Cooper seems to be good, although, according to my local tire guy, quality control seems to be poorer than BFG/Michelin. BFG's have never let me down, so that's what I got. Don't forget to do the spare with same size.

That's all I would do. As you can see, that's not much. You should do just enough to get you out and back safely on the first few trips. I think you'll then get an idea of what to get, or more importantly, what NOT to get.

Some B-list items:
* Drawer: Maybe a drawer for the bed.
* Leaf springs: Add a leaf for the extra weight in the bed.
* Dual battery: In case you run out of juice or battery craps out in the middle of nowhere.
* GPS: Stand alone GPS unit with RAM mount. Handy to have maps when you're out of cell range.

Good luck.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I'm getting ticked now, I've lost two posts trying to reply P Nut, let's see if this posts!

Well it did! Gee 3rd time, hope is the cham.

Had several comments, but bottom line, thank you for saving me a lot of money!

I'll go with a cooler!

Main question, what about larger wheels and tires? I have 15's which are getting harder to find. If I did tear one up and was in Plainoleswap Al. it might take a while to get another. Or trash one on the AK Highway, not many would come by with another 15" if I went through a spare. Now, chances of that are slim I know.

My tire choice might be limited, don't know yet. Larger wheels would look better, maybe. I'm not just hot to get some new wheels, I probably don't need them. But, another matter, what about my speedo/odometer with bigger shoes?

I'm building my platform as light weight as I can, no 2x4 construction, aluminum may be metal studs and hard poly platform. Might use tube/pipe for drawer guides, with heavy duty tub containers under the platform....but that's another topic.

Can anyone recommend a good LED utility lights to light up the camp and the back end?

Thaks a ton P Nut, you saved me some real bucks! :)

Last edited:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Sup dude. Check my build for some ideas on sleeping platform.

You don't need bigger wheels...you can find tires that will fit in any shop. When I lived in the mountains I always went with BFG AT, although, there are so many tires out there now that its hard to decide. The BFG AT's are great on and off road. I'm currently running some Michelin all terrain tires which I really like.

x2 on the fridge.

Definitely want to get on board air. ARB compressor or ViAir works really well. I have the ViAir compressor kit. I chose it because you dont need to wire anything. Just clamp it to the batt terminals and use it.

Suspension lifts are limited. Our trucks use torsion bars so we cant technically put in "2 inch springs". You can crank the T bolts a few times for a lift....but, like P nut said, our trucks have a good amount of clearance as it is. If you want to go any higher than what the T bars will allow, you'll have to get a drop down bracket for the front diff and that is ugly AF.

Armor: I still have yet to see a company the makes a nice looking front or rear bumper. All of the ones avail look bulky and heavy....and ridiculously expensive. Might want to look at a hide a winch to go behind the bumper... the front and back have great tow hooks so the need for bumpers is very minimal. If you want something quality you'll have to get it done custom...which equals money. There is absolutely 0 need for me to have a front or rear bumper...but now that I think about it.... seeing you're in the Ozarks you might want to look at something custom...I only have a need for rock sliders since I live in the desert and don't have that many trees.

You'd be surprised at how far one of the can take you. I have been deep in the AZ/NM mountains and never had a problem. Only time I had a problem was when I was stuck in the sand in the desert and my 4x4 didnt work.

Speaking of your 4x4, I assume you have the lever to engage? I have the electronic engaging :(

You say your engine is a 5.0? I wasn't aware that they made a 5.0 for the F150...You sure its not the 5.4? If it is, then check the oil very frequently. I have the 4.6L and my brother has the 5.4L. Mine sips oil and his chugs oil.

My one complaint about my truck is not having a locker. I'd look into one of those...pricey but will get you out of a situation quickly if needed. Unfortunately, Ford didn't offer the FX4, which has a locker, until 2000, I think.

Hit me up with any questions dude.

p nut

butter
Like SDDriver said, I think you'll be fine with the 15" rims. It's still a common size, although 16's MAY be a bit more popular. I would just use it as-is, unless you come across a super great deal on some 16" rims and tires. As far as tire size goes, I would go 32's. I got 33's and wish I would've stuck with 32's. For what you're looking to do, they would be plenty capable, and more importantly, not rob as much power and MPG as 33's. When my set wears out, I'm going back down to 32's.

X2 what p nut said. Fix anything that is broken or rattles or even bothers you a little bit on the road because it will bother you worse on the trail. My suggestion would be to take the truck out as is on a short excursion and see how it does before you spend money on the truck. Stock vehicles are more capable that most people give theme credit for. And after your trial run think about the things that would have made the trip more enjoyable and also about the things that were in the way.

Do you not want to sleep in a tent on he ground? You can find some really good tents for less than having your topper modified.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Hey guys, thanks!

SDDiver, I think you're right, 5.4, I haven't paid attention to it really, just thinking it's the small v-8 in 99. Plenty of towing power, pulled my 5,000 # boat up and down hills, cruise on 65 and it never dropped 5 mph and we have some step grades. The engine did sound like it was going to fly out of the hood though...LOL

82K miles, it runs strong, no oil leaks, no smoke, no rattles, still quiet as the day I got it. Paint is excellent and the poor thing has never really been in a garage. It's the "warm sand" color, a gold, shines nice as new, really. That must have been really good paint. Inside, I have a coffee stain on the carpet by the heater, just never shampooed it, it should clean up. Driver seat has a small burn spot from an ash the flew back in on while puffing on a cigarette. The passenger side window won't go down, a bad switch I think and power locks don't work, I heard the a rod drop in the driver's door. I've kept fluids changed and clean filters. So, for the age, it's pretty cherry I think.

I keep getting recall letters about straps holding the as tank in, I changed the fuel pump last year, the straps aren't rusted as they suggest, it's tight, so I never took the time for them to do whatever.

I am getting tired of the interior, it's in clean shape, just tired of the design of the dash, I should never have seen the new platinum my son bought. I'm saving so much money with the advice here I might talk to a good custom shop and, while I'm not a wrencher anymore (too sophisticated for me to work on) I'm a good interior guy. And no, I have the electronic switch. I mentioned it was slow kicking in and out, but I think I heard the cure is to use it more often, not really a problem.

P nut, I'll take your advice as you already saved me a ton of bucks, I'll stick to my BFG A/T 32's. We have a lot of curvy blacktop lake roads, I stay in my lane and can take 35 mph curves I know at 55/60 giving it gas pulling me out of the curve, the wheel tire combination allows me to run through at my speeds without adverse leaning or drifting, it just hugs, unlike other trucks/suv's I've had. But, of course my cars were faster LOL.
Not really a hot rodder, just drive a tad on the fast side.

Shaefer, thanks for the input as well. No, my GF has a hard time getting up off the ground or floor, actually I don't jump up like I use to either, so while we could do a ground tent and cot, it's easier to sit on the tail gate and roll into a bunk. Rolling out is easier too, LOL. Older bones and knees! I can get a custom tent made for less than an RTT and not have to use a ladder. High, dry and secure. Really, I'd rather have hard sides that would fold down for the bed camper, bears probably know what tents look like! But then, they could probably rip the doors off if they wanted to.

Looks like the dual battery set up and air is about the only surviving things on my list!

I think a good mounting position for the air and hose might be in that vast area of space wasted in the fenders. Might be a good place for a water tank as well. Another item might be the additional battery, that might take some engineering for a secure and protected bracket.

I'll be back later, it's a great day out near 60, so I'm going outside to the truck and start measuring. Thanks again guys!

The more ideas and opinions the better!!! :)

Ivan

Lost in Space
If you have a 1999 F150, the smallest wheels you can use (due to the front brakes) are 16" wheels.

10th gen Ford trucks are great, underrated rigs, but not without their idiosyncrasies. Take a photo of the door tag so we can start figuring out which engine/transmission/axle combo it came with. Unfortunately not all 5.4 F150's came equipped with the 4R100 transmission and 9.75 Sterling.

If you have the 4R70W/8.8 combo, it's not bad, but be aware of the tranny and axle issues (usually not many if any, but the 4R70W is less robust than the 4R100 by comparison ) and limitations.

Depending on whether it's an early or late year build, you could have 3.73's and a limited slip from the factory.

Also the towing package may not mean much. The 10th gen trucks are notorious for having the wrong radiator installed (ford trucks.net, f150 forums, etc. have quite a lot of threads on the subject). See if you have the 1 row vs. 2 row radiator. As far as your 4x4 being "slow" to engage, keep in mind these trucks use a vacuum system to lock and unlock the front axle (unless you meant the transfercase seems slow to engage ). If that's the issue, you can fix the issue (whether it's hoses, solenoids, etc.) or replace it with something like this: http://4x4posi-lok.com

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head orher than... post pics! :D It's nice to see another full size Ford here.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Good call Ivan, forgot to mention the vacum problems on the t case.

Never heard of the over heating problem.

and, X2 on F150online.com I am a member there and have learned so freaking much.

Here's a fun trick. on the dashboard, under the front window, there is a concave long oval piece of plastic. It is usually a different color gray than the normal. Pop that off and there is a nice metal square tray and you can hide things there. I've been to mexico a few times with my truck and hid my passport and extra cash there. I think its big enough to fit a handgun if it interest you.

Raul B

Explorer
Taking this for later use..... I'll be able to give you more info when I get home from work. But.... You can look at my build thread to see what I have done with my f150. It's a different year but the same concept applies

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have a 2003, same concept. Mines a 4 door lariat. I have 285/70/17s with no lift. I am adding a small 2" to it for some extra clearance underneath, but that's it. I have the 5.4, electronic 4x4 and 120000 on the clock. I love the truck more than the new ones. I think I'm going to add a different set of wheels as mine are rusting a bit....and I get new shocks with the 2". inside, I am adding saddle cloth seat covers, a new cb, a Sirius radio mount. Toss in the action packer, coleman powered cooler and camping and hunting gear and she's good to go. I am going to add true tracs if available.

Ivan

Lost in Space
Good call Ivan, forgot to mention the vacum problems on the t case.

Never heard of the over heating problem.

and, X2 on F150online.com I am a member there and have learned so freaking much.

Here's a fun trick. on the dashboard, under the front window, there is a concave long oval piece of plastic. It is usually a different color gray than the normal. Pop that off and there is a nice metal square tray and you can hide things there. I've been to mexico a few times with my truck and hid my passport and extra cash there. I think its big enough to fit a handgun if it interest you.

Oh no, not overheating. The tow package F150's, FX4's, 4wd Expeditions, are supposed to come with a two row radiator from the factory (I do not recall the build code off the top of my head). However for whatever reason not all that were supposed to come with the correct radiator (1 row vs. 2). To make matters more interesting, you can order the 3 row radiator that came standard on the F250LD (or the 7700 model as it was known between 2001 and 2003), which is a direct fit in the 1997 - 2003 F150's.

Speaking of, that's the next thing I need to tackle as an "upgrade" before it becomes a "fix" :D

^^^^ and he has a sexy rear bumper.

2yns7te.jpg

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
LOL, sexy rear bumper, I'm more impressed with the one my GF has.

I have a shade tree mechanic, great guy, I asked him about mods and he suggested a chip for performance saying it might give me better MPG.

I asked him about a tranny cooler and he said "you already have one!"! Okay, cool!

Ivan, thanks for coming in with your expertise! I believe I have a "double" radiator, my understanding is it's part of the "tow package". I've never had a cooling problem.

I had sign in issues with the Ford F-150 Forum, but I've been lurking there for some time, great stuff there!

Guess I should look up my VIN and see what I really have and date of mfg. I'd bet it's an early '99 since I got it in the Spring/early Summer, but don't know.

Ivan, that's what I'm looking for here, "upgrades" before the become a "fix"! I had not considered a radiator issue as I haven't had an issue......yet. Glad you mentioned that.

SDDiver, cool tip, never thought of looking under that oval, mine has the tan interior and it's all the same color. Which reminds me.....Mexico and border states (maybe others too) have "hidden compartment" laws with vehicles, the assumption is if you have hidden compartments in a vehicle you're a drug mule, they take the vehicle. Have no idea where "they" draw the line on that. And yes, "Have Gun, Will Travel" (LOL, we'll see how old folks are here)

BTW, what's the best way to open that oval up, without breaking any clips or retainers?

Raul, got a link for your build?

Kojack, sounds like you have a nice low mileage truck, yours is really a style'n ride. Saddle cloth? I'll have to search for that. Going to bucket seats is a thought for mine.

As soon as I can get my truck unloaded with some "bank" windows I scrounged (bullet proof) I'll remove my bed liner and see what condition the bed is in, hope it's like new without rust. I've not found any body rust, the frame has surface rust but still seems solid, cleaning and undercoat might be in order.

Anything suggestions on utility lights guys?

I'm probably over thinking this, paranoid of a break down, long ago I had a really bad day and a long hike from a break down in Europe. But now, gosh, I have a cell phone, radios, internet and a GPS to let me know where to get about anything. Tow trucks and a good garage will take credit cards! While being prepared is prudent, it's the unknown that makes it an adventure. :)

Yes Ivan, I know pics help, I'll see if I (or someone) can do that, I'm technologically deficient being born in the 50's.

Raul B

Explorer
LOL, sexy rear bumper, I'm more impressed with the one my GF has.

I have a shade tree mechanic, great guy, I asked him about mods and he suggested a chip for performance saying it might give me better MPG.

I asked him about a tranny cooler and he said "you already have one!"! Okay, cool!

Ivan, thanks for coming in with your expertise! I believe I have a "double" radiator, my understanding is it's part of the "tow package". I've never had a cooling problem.

I had sign in issues with the Ford F-150 Forum, but I've been lurking there for some time, great stuff there!

Guess I should look up my VIN and see what I really have and date of mfg. I'd bet it's an early '99 since I got it in the Spring/early Summer, but don't know.

Ivan, that's what I'm looking for here, "upgrades" before the become a "fix"! I had not considered a radiator issue as I haven't had an issue......yet. Glad you mentioned that.

SDDiver, cool tip, never thought of looking under that oval, mine has the tan interior and it's all the same color. Which reminds me.....Mexico and border states (maybe others too) have "hidden compartment" laws with vehicles, the assumption is if you have hidden compartments in a vehicle you're a drug mule, they take the vehicle. Have no idea where "they" draw the line on that. And yes, "Have Gun, Will Travel" (LOL, we'll see how old folks are here)

BTW, what's the best way to open that oval up, without breaking any clips or retainers?

Raul, got a link for your build?

Kojack, sounds like you have a nice low mileage truck, yours is really a style'n ride. Saddle cloth? I'll have to search for that. Going to bucket seats is a thought for mine.

As soon as I can get my truck unloaded with some "bank" windows I scrounged (bullet proof) I'll remove my bed liner and see what condition the bed is in, hope it's like new without rust. I've not found any body rust, the frame has surface rust but still seems solid, cleaning and undercoat might be in order.

Anything suggestions on utility lights guys?

I'm probably over thinking this, paranoid of a break down, long ago I had a really bad day and a long hike from a break down in Europe. But now, gosh, I have a cell phone, radios, internet and a GPS to let me know where to get about anything. Tow trucks and a good garage will take credit cards! While being prepared is prudent, it's the unknown that makes it an adventure. :)

Yes Ivan, I know pics help, I'll see if I (or someone) can do that, I'm technologically deficient being born in the 50's.
Link in my signature....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior