What sprinter 4x4 layout for 2 adults/2 kids for camping?

zimm17

Observer
I just got done reading through the sportsmobile website and I'm impressed. Unfortunately, the layout tool doesn't work on my work computer.

For 2 adults and 2 kids, what would be best layout? This would be for road trips, vacations, camping, and visiting friends/relatives without enough sleeping room in their houses.

I'm thinking the 4 captains chairs would be the ticket. Then a small shower with porta potty so I don't have to pull over for the kids to pee. With a small table in the middle of the 4 chairs- that should work for the dinette too. What about sleeping arrangements? Big bed with bunks up top? I guess we could all fit on one platform if it was king sized. Anyone sleep in a van with 4 people? What works?

I have a Honda eu2000 generator I could utilize. Or I don't mind running the diesel to top off the batteries if needed. Plugging into 110v at someone's house would be ideal for power. Campground might have a 30amp, 115 or none.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Zimm in the sailboat racing world we cram lots of crew into tight spaces. Do some googling on "pipe rack bunks" basics are bent pipe, hinged off the wall with canvas stretched over it. The rack typically has two simple harken adjuster lines that support the rack and adjust its angle. When not in use they fold up against the wall and can stow lots of loose gear bags. In some racing boats we stack 3-4 high. In your case this idea would allow open gear / floor space in the back when you dont need rack time, they would also double as easy duffle bag storage racks. They are very light weight, fairly low cost to create and work really well. For kids you can add a simple lee cloth which does a couple of things, keeps you in the bunk, helps isolate the bunk space a little and can let you leave the bunk down and use it as a gear storage shelf.

Anyway just an idea that you might find really interesting.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Another one they give you the idea.
The true racing sailboats this is all you find inside besides very a crude galley and typically a toilet mounted center line in front of the mast no privacy walls. The most important interior elements are the Navigation Station/ desk and the crew bunks. Weight is such an issue the only flat flooring is typically a small area around the galley counter the rest of the floor is simply exposed inner side of the hull.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...0ahUKEwjo1NbQicvKAhUY32MKHT5qB3U4ZBAzCC0oKjAq

clarkh

Observer
I'm selling this- www.harveytravels.com It's not 4x4 so may not be something you're interested in, but you may get some ideas from the layout. Very hard to fit everything in. The shower will be very hard. My porta potti sides out from under the sink.

Keyne

Adventurer
Maybe modify the standard FB50 layout by moving the bench forward so you have space at the rear for a shower/toilet. Downside is you would need to access via external doors (or crawl over the couch/bed). However this would provide a lower and upper bed for sleeping 4 people and have 2 rear seats with seatbelts.

Also, you could checkout the Roadtrek and Airstream sprinter websites. I believe they seat 4 plus and have layouts for sleeping 4. Might get some ideas there.

robgendreau

Explorer
I've got a regular SMB, but the principles are kinda the same.

First, I love the penthouse. Not only are you out of the way of what/who is below, but the view is awesome. Best thing about my van. Two above; two below.

Second, kids. Put 'em outside? Just kidding, but 4 in a van is tight, and you should design around that fact. Everything is a compromise. Take captain's chairs: comfy, but they use a lot of room. Sitting the kids looking sideway on a gaucho might be better. Adults tend to dislike looking sideways when driving, but kids are sometimes occupied doing other stuff anyway.

And showers inside with four people on a rainy weekend can be kinda awful. A porta potty might be better. Again it sacrifices space. And remember, with kids and recreation gear you probably need more space than you realize. There's also a tendency to add everything. Try not to do that; only add really really critical stuff, and even then stuff that has more than one use (like a gaucho: seating and sleeping). Table? meh. I got one; haven't used it in years. Counter space? more important. We just eat off our laps or little foldout trays that can also be used outside.

Go over to sportsmobileforum.com; you can get a lot more ideas (and opinions!) over there.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'd stick to variations on the "50" (or RB150, for the Sprinters, I guess), aka classic "Westy" layout.

As mentioned, captains chairs eat a lot of real estate inside. Some kids may be OK sitting sideways, but I hated it - my sisters and I always fought over who got "shotgun" in the front cabin of our RV because riding sideways sucked for us. We can sleep four in our Astro-based Westy layout, and I've seen as many as six or seven in my step-mom's '73 Westy Bus! (Counting one on the floor and one in the front cot over the seats.)

An inside shower is a definite luxury, but also dedicates more floor space than you may be willing to lose. A porta-potti on a slide that moves into a center aisle is much more space efficient. Of course, I'm in a smaller rig than the Sprinter, so I'm SUPER conscious of that. Barring dedicating massive amounts of space to such luxuries or a massive kitchen or closet, sleeping 4 in something as big as a sprinter should be cake.

Don't think you'll be able to get to a king-size width in any van, but fortunately sprinters are tall enough that you could go with a bunk arrangement even without a penthouse top. Mounting the rear bed up high also allows you to do low cargo storage, which is awesome. A penthouse top makes everything even easier!

chmura

Adventurer
Can't you just sleep 2 adults in the pent house and the kids on the lower level? Should be plenty of room for 2 adults and 2 children.

barnis

curious to hear too

it seems like this thread might be a bit stale but does anyone else have thoughts for a 144 wb sprinter for 2 adults and 2 kids?

larcie

mate,
take the opportunity and pull over so the kids can pee.
stop walk around the vehicle.
look whats around you.
enjoy.
you miss sooo much when you are driving due to your focus being on the road, conditions and if any, traffic.

just a thought...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles