VMI Offroad Trailer Registry... and support group.

SquatchGX

Anyone in the SoCal area? Really interested in a canyon but ideally would like to see one first. May try for expo, but I have a road trip to Montana the next weekend and doubt wife would like two back to back.

IM1RU

Observer
It is my understanding that they are not going to Expo this year. Too busy, and since it's just the few of them, going means closing up shop for a few weeks. Mike was hoping to have a VMI owner retreat sometime in August but I haven't talked to him about that in a while.

franklantern

Craig Lathem
My personal issue with the 80" width would be fitting on the trail. I've already had mine in places that it would be a problem. That said, you know where you'll take yours, and whether or not the width would be an issue.

Yeah, I'm sure there are pro's and con's either way. I still have a few months to sit on it. I have no idea what sort of places I will take the trailer so its rather hard to say. I guess I will have to buy 2 :) There is a good article on the front page of Expedition Portal written by Chris Cordis and his SoCal teardrop. Good article. According to SoCal's website that trailer is 84 inches wide. He appears to get around quite well. But yeah, you are right, I have been down trails where the added width could be an issue. He is using the AT TAAS suspension on his tear drop and of course VMI is most likely using the Timbren.

aaen

Adventurer
Well, I don;t own a VMI trailer yet, however I just got back from hauling my buddies xtender ox around for four days of camping. ONly went to a few parks as I didn't want to go to far into the woods without knowing to much about the trailer. Love the way she tracked behind my tacoma, and loved the build quality.

Sadly a RTT is just not going to work for this guy, which pushed me more into the canyon/alpine area, but then I saw the compass, and realized I probably am not going to drag a trailer through serious offroad area's anyways, and it could also double as a trailer to live out of at work when I am on job sites. Sigh, I have a problem and it is VMI and their wicked trailers. Need help now, there should be a incase of trailer envy glass you smash and their is a 44 to just shoot yourself now with. haha.

All seriousness, these are pricey little trailers, but they are top notch, and from what I have seen much better then an air stream, which i am still not sure why people buy. Hoping to talk to the boys here in the next few weeks, perhaps take a trip down and start preliminary talks on figuring out need/wants.

Steve

aaen

Adventurer
This is the VMI I was hauling around pretty sure it is their original one, I've seen it in a few YouTube vids, my buddy picked it up from them for a good price.

e9b66b9995144088a4a3604c2418bc57.jpg

ddae5888798019f2a5290fd94193d81c.jpg

Regards

Steve

franklantern

Craig Lathem
Steve, wish I could tell you the wait gets easier once you are in the que but it doesn't. I am resigned to doing cardboard layouts in the living room until my date gets closer :)

aaen

Adventurer
Haha. I'm still waiting for them to call me back. Might give them a call next week.l or the week after.

What sort of lead time are you looking at now. I'm pretty much thinking its a minimum year waiting list. Seems to be the rough time frame with these sort of trailers.

Regards

Steve

franklantern

Craig Lathem
I was told 12 months when I put my deposit down. Yes, they are difficult to get a hold of. Between that and the wait it can be a test of faith but I am hanging in there :)

SCputter

Hi, I'm Brent from SoCal...FJ Owner

I want a VMI Canyon soooooo badly that I'm considering a VMI tattoo (that part is not true).

I work in the Seattle area from time to time...and the next trip will include a factory visit...and with any luck, a deposit and trailer wait time commencement.

Any current owners...please include any advice with the process. Hindsight suggestions?

Thanks,

Brent

OCD Overland

Explorer
We had a deposit down for almost a year before we decided on a different direction. Sounds like I should have auctioned off our spot in line. :sombrero:

They're great trailers though, and well worth the wait.

armymgdude

Observer
I was just told at the Overland Rally this weekend that the wait is 3-4 years. This was directly from the VMI guys. And they want $3000 to get you a spot in line. That is refundable though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

FyrFly

Voyager
Expo East - Asheville

Biltmore Grounds, Oct 7th - 10th. We will be there if anyone wants to see a finished VMI product: Alpine XL. Just reach out to us & we'll see if we can't arrange a meet.

KEENO

Adventurer
Offer Accepted...

FyrFly...
We will also be at Overland ExPo East his year and would love peek at the VMI Alpine XL. I believe it to be the next 'step-up' from our SoCal 459 Krawler.... When the time comes.

KEENO

Attachments

• Western Bound.jpg
    Western Bound.jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 92

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online