VMI Offroad Trailer Registry... and support group.

Downing

Sorry for taking so long to get back to both of you. I just saw these questions.

Trailer looks great. Looks like you have some plugs on the side. What do you have in the way of water and/or electric? Any more pictures of the inside? What does this weigh?

There are two electrical plugs on the drivers side. Both are for charging the dual 140 amp hour 12v DC AGM battery system. The bigger plug is for an extension cord and the smaller one is for a solar panel cord. The batteries are also charged by an ACR charging system that runs off my alternator. This will allow me to run my refrigerator as I'm driving down the road/trail and continue to run it while we're camped. There's a battery monitor just inside the tailgate on the passenger side that also has a 12v socket outlet and two USB outlets for charging my portable sink and shower pumps.

I carry my own water in 5-gallon jerry cans. I've got ample room to carry 20 to 25 gallons at any one time, maybe a can or two more if I think I will really need it.

The interior is basically just a big open tub. The fridge is on a slide and will stay in there permanently. The dual batteries are behind the fridge encased in aluminum housing, which creates a small shelf that runs along the side up to the front.

Per VMI, the dry weight is 540 pounds.

I'm attaching some more photos and apologize in advance for the sun/shadow thing. Plus, I've got a bunch of gear stashed in there so the interior photos don't show much.

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

Looks great indeed.
Just wondering if there is any specific reason for not using a jockey wheel.

I have no idea. I didn't even think of a jockey wheel until you asked. I'll email Mike and ask him. Looks easy to put one one. Here's a shot of my Lock and Roll hitch (not sure if the padlock would actually prevent someone from wheeling away with it but it makes me feel better) and the swivel jack.

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

Last edited:

Downing

Looks like their website is back up now.

I forgot to include a photo of the interior that shows the battery box behind the fridge. That's the refrigerator slide frame on the floor in front of it. I'll attach a photo showing the tailgate latch as well.

IMG_0554.jpgIMG_0552.jpg

Last edited:

Downing

Looks great indeed.
Just wondering if there is any specific reason for not using a jockey wheel.

So I shot an email to Mike at VMI and this was his reply: "The Explorer trailer comes with a standard solid foot tongue jack, the Crawler series trailer come with a wheeled version. The Explorers are usually so light they are easier and more maneuverable and really don't need the wheel. It can easily be upgraded to a wheeled jack if you find the need for it."

I haven't tried to maneuver the trailer yet because it's on a slight incline in my driveway. I am interested to see just how maneuverable it is both loaded and unloaded.

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
Don't try it.
So I shot an email to Mike at VMI and this was his reply: "The Explorer trailer comes with a standard solid foot tongue jack, the Crawler series trailer come with a wheeled version. The Explorers are usually so light they are easier and more maneuverable and really don't need the wheel. It can easily be upgraded to a wheeled jack if you find the need for it."

I haven't tried to maneuver the trailer yet because it's on a slight incline in my driveway. I am interested to see just how maneuverable it is both loaded and unloaded.
Don't try it !!!!
Imagine having to lift/remove your trailer and try to use the handbrake in the same time.
Do yourself a favor and save (just a small ammount of ) the money you would pay to a colleague of mine (Physiotherapist) to treat your back
and get a jockey wheel.
It might be the difference between a nice weekend in the woods and a few visits at a rehab lab ;-)

Downing

Don't try it.

Don't try it !!!!
Imagine having to lift/remove your trailer and try to use the handbrake in the same time.
Do yourself a favor and save (just a small ammount of ) the money you would pay to a colleague of mine (Physiotherapist) to treat your back
and get a jockey wheel.
It might be the difference between a nice weekend in the woods and a few visits at a rehab lab ;-)

Lol. Thanks for the tip!

tjsean0308

Thought you guys would like to see what has been brewing here at VMI the new Summit series trailer are now available, Crawler Summit, Alpine Summit, and Compass Summit, the Canyon Summit will be available shortly.

I definitely recognize one of those Crawler Summits. It's been a great trailer. Here's a few shots from a recent trip to the southwest. I did add a wind break next to the stove and a storage light to the rear compartment. CE8%ZeubQBKzm51c2AJ0bA.jpgovRNx2kVRCKFxDQzBa1WCA.jpgCE8%ZeubQBKzm51c2AJ0bA.jpg2be26BLDT0e5RoSVgZinkQ.jpgID9p8vbpSvmsegd5yMwl2w.jpgI9eBICgyQW2KYnLEf2tUyw.jpgDMAwqhKyRjW%kUvIjHyMzg.jpgv6tQGvjyTLeFT2nbEN0+Nw.jpgZvH%VPSmSDOPNo7btBDpww.jpg+xwQdltUSb+cmK33+nMPLA.jpg

Grassland

So anyone running an Alpine here that's still active?

What does the summit series change on the regular versions?

Do I have to email VMI to get more pictures than are posted on website?

tjsean0308

Can't speak to the Alpine, but the summit is the ready to camp at time of delivery trailer. The website is pretty out of date now to be honest. So the pictures from page 5 that Mike uploaded are the best bet.

Every build they do is custom so you can pretty much get whatever you want. This comes at the cost of extra lead time of course.

The second crawler summit brochure is my trailer and if there are specific things you want to see let me know and I'll get some shots.

Grassland

Can't speak to the Alpine, but the summit is the ready to camp at time of delivery trailer. The website is pretty out of date now to be honest. So the pictures from page 5 that Mike uploaded are the best bet.

Every build they do is custom so you can pretty much get whatever you want. This comes at the cost of extra lead time of course.

The second crawler summit brochure is my trailer and if there are specific things you want to see let me know and I'll get some shots.

Thanks for the offer. Very specifically looking into the Alpine, as can't remotely afford the larger trailer. Wife isn't at all interested in anything smaller or more tent like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94