Thoughts on new AEV RAM?

joshuak172

Hello folks,

I'm in the market for a new truck. It would mostly be for weekend fun and farm use on occasion. I plan on keeping it a long time though and although I don't have the time for any overland currently I would like to have it capable for the occasional family trip and for a potential move out west (active military).

I really like the new AEV RAM trucks. Does anyone have any experience with them? Seems like a great do just about anything, keep forever truck. Preferably with a cummins.

I am looking for some suggestions on this filling the bill. Thoughts?

p nut

butter
For occasional farm and rec use? Why spend all that money on an AEV? If anything, get a Rebel. But a regular ol' Ram will get you to many many places and you'll get to have a ton of fun out here in the west with a relatively stock rig. And forget the Cummins. Stick to good ol Hemi.

joshuak172

For occasional farm and rec use? Why spend all that money on an AEV? If anything, get a Rebel. But a regular ol' Ram will get you to many many places and you'll get to have a ton of fun out here in the west with a relatively stock rig. And forget the Cummins. Stick to good ol Hemi.

Yeah I'm also considering the power wagon. I need at least a 6' bed for tax purposes.

Scott Brady

Founder
We have one for some tesing. Wicked machine. What is most surprising is how comfortable and composed it is on the highway with 40" tires. Detailed feedback soon

image.jpg

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
There has been a lot of discussion about AEVs on the Power Wagon Forum. Admitting our bias (i.e., we don't own one), the consensus is that the AEV is way overpriced for what you get and a properly equipped AEV Ram is way overkill for most people's needs. AEV seems guilty of adding a lot of froo froo crap options like embroidered seats and body emblems that really run up the price without adding any functionality. If you can justify the cost and if you can limit options to those things that actually add value, then maybe it makes sense. But probably not. AEV Rams seem marketed to the crowd that requires a titanium spork for their chili. Some of the mall crawler and flatbill crowd drool over AEV wheels and such, but I just can't see it. A Power Wagon right off the lot will do 90% of what a maxed out AEV will do, but is that last 10% worth another $40K? On the other hand, if you get a PW, you will probably be tempted to start modifying it anyway (most of us are guilty). If money were no object would I like to have an AEV? Yeah, probably. But for that extra $40K I could get a real clean C6 Corvette or a lightly used V8 Raptor to go with the PW. So there's the rub.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I love the looks of the AEV Ram and some of the components they offer, but I'm not sold on the price tag. I think a person could buy some AEV parts and install them on their own to save some money, but then you might not have the warranty like you would from the factory. I'm really happy with my AEV Raised Air Intake, but I'm holding off on other mods for now. Plus AEV doesn't offer a suspension/lift system for my 2012, and I don't feel like lifting my truck at the moment.

joshuak172

There has been a lot of discussion about AEVs on the Power Wagon Forum. Admitting our bias (i.e., we don't own one), the consensus is that the AEV is way overpriced for what you get and a properly equipped AEV Ram is way overkill for most people's needs. AEV seems guilty of adding a lot of froo froo crap options like embroidered seats and body emblems that really run up the price without adding any functionality. If you can justify the cost and if you can limit options to those things that actually add value, then maybe it makes sense. But probably not. AEV Rams seem marketed to the crowd that requires a titanium spork for their chili. Some of the mall crawler and flatbill crowd drool over AEV wheels and such, but I just can't see it. A Power Wagon right off the lot will do 90% of what a maxed out AEV will do, but is that last 10% worth another $40K? On the other hand, if you get a PW, you will probably be tempted to start modifying it anyway (most of us are guilty). If money were no object would I like to have an AEV? Yeah, probably. But for that extra $40K I could get a real clean C6 Corvette or a lightly used V8 Raptor to go with the PW. So there's the rub.

Yeah, the cost is the big thing for me too. Especially if you just look at the cost to throw some bigger tire on a power wagon and you basically have the same truck. On that note, what's the biggest set of tires you could fit on a stock power wagon? What would it take for 37-40" tires?

Thanks,
Josh

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Leave money out of it, you could buy a P/W then, you have a P/W. Or....you could buy the AEV and have something special. They have added a lot more than embroidered seats and badges.

kmcoop7

Observer
again

Wow, AEV really has some great marketing if they have you convinced than an AEV ram is "something special".

A stock power wagon is MORE capable than an AEV ram that isn't built on a power wagon. A PW comes from the factory with lockers. Buy a regular AEV ram that isn't a PW and you still have to add lockers. The lockers will get you way further than the badges, stickers and embrody that AEV is selling you for $4500. PW also gives you skid plates that are next to impossible to retro fit on to a regular ram. 37's on a PW will walk all over your $85k Prospector

If you want one because you think you are getting something special, get it. If you want a truck to perform off road, look elsewhere.

MarAgt

Observer
First, good luck with your truck search.

Second, what engine do you want? If you want a diesel, the PW is out. They don't offer it in a diesel.

Third, do you want to tow something to the desert and explore? Or, do you want a super sized off-road truck? If it's all about off-road capability, let's be honest; an AEV Jeep Rubicon Unlimited might better suit your family's needs.

I have an AEV Ram. I do not share kmcoop's opinion and that's OK. I don't live in the desert (I'm in SC), so I'm not running Moab or the Rubicon. But I do spend a lot of time off road fishing and hunting. My AEV Ram does an excellent job of running off road for 3 1/3 ton truck. I also want to tow from time, which the diesel does better than any gasser.

I don't know how kmcoop off-roads, but he did state in another forum post that he blew up three sets of Bilstein 5100's over the course of 30k miles. He obviously runs his trucks very very hard, so maybe a full AEV build isn't the truck for him. I like to off-road, but I cannot imagine running my new truck so hard I blow up three sets of Bilsteins in 30k. If terrain gets that rough, I unload an ATV. That being said, kmcoops right, I don't have lockers. I do want some, so I'll probably have a set installed later.

If you want to maintain towing capacity and road manners, while improving off-road capability, the AEV Ram will do that.

The AEV Ram's come with a lot more than non-AEV Ram posters usually make it sound (i.e., 4:10 gears, full 5th AEV wheel & tire for a spare, professionally installed lights with interior switches, etc). So, I would recommend going over an actual AEV build sheet, compare equivalent after market components, and then contact someone about installation. I don't know what labor costs are where you live, but whether it's Harley-Davidson, the ATV shop, an off-road shop or a diesel mechanic; it's seems that the going rate for labor is $85 an hour around here. Labor costs a lot.

If you have to pay for labor to install equivalent components, the price of the AEV isn't that much more IMO. If you can or want to install all of the stuff yourself (or have a buddy that will hook you up), then you probably would save money over buying an AEV Ram. Whether you buy an AEV Ram with all the stuff on it or buy a new truck and have it all put on, you're going to spend a lot of money; no way around it.

If you want to have all of the components AEV installs and still have the truck covered by the original or extended factory warranties, AEV Ram gives you that. There is long term value in insuring failures will be covered by a warranty; at least there is to me.

Besides kmcoops 3 sets of blown up Bilstein 5100's, I was not find able to find any posts about actual users having any problems or failures with an AEV build. Furthermore, the professional reviews and ACTUAL user reviews I found about the AEV Rams are all positive. If you look, you will not find any actual AEV Ram owners or prior owners rebuking the AEV Ram's quality or performance.

These are just my opinions. If you buy an AEV Ram you'll be happy. I bet if you buy a new PW, you'll be happy with that too (except for the gas mileage).

Good Luck

Ken
MSgt USMC (Ret)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior