45-70 rifle

p nut

butter
I'm looking at purchase a 45-70 rifle. I was looking at some lever actions by Henry and Marlin, but I really would prefer a single shot. Looks like CVA makes one, but I'm not fond of that brand. I have a muzzleloader made by them and have not been impressed. Also found T/C (Thompson Center), which looks good, but I am not really liking the muzzle break loading system.

Any others that I should look at? This will be used for target shooting and hunting. Thanks.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
If you want to go single shot I would recommend a ruger no.1, in my opinion they are a first class rifle! I have a no.1 in .416 rugby and it is a fantastic shooter! The action is very easy to work even when cold and you are wearing thick gloves and they are made to accommodate just about any optics or sights you want to use!

p nut

butter
Hmm, I do like the falling block design. However, looks like their current offering does not include a 45-70 caliber. Did they make them in the past? I may have to look at the used market if that's the case.

Arclight

SAR guy
That is an exceptionally good rifle. Check Gunbroker and similar sites - they are available in 45-70. Also look at the #3 (carbine) version.

If you're into hand loading and lobbing huge cast bullets around, another good option is the 9.3x74 caliber.

Arclight

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Can't believe they aren't making no.1 in that round anymore, seems like that is a super popular round for single shots and lever guns!
But you should be able to find a clean used example pretty easily!

dozrmn

Marlin Quality is supposed to be much improved since the Remington takeover. I ran thru a store having a sale new years eve and grabbed a 1895g without looking it over. I am not sure how long my rifle had been in the stock room but it is a "Remlin". My new rifle is the poster child for everything you will find online that could possibly be wrong with a Marlin. I will make this gun work for a spring bear hunt this year but the money I planned to spend on cool custom stuff now has to go to just getting the dang thing to function.

p nut

butter
Marlin Quality is supposed to be much improved since the Remington takeover. I ran thru a store having a sale new years eve and grabbed a 1895g without looking it over. I am not sure how long my rifle had been in the stock room but it is a "Remlin". My new rifle is the poster child for everything you will find online that could possibly be wrong with a Marlin. I will make this gun work for a spring bear hunt this year but the money I planned to spend on cool custom stuff now has to go to just getting the dang thing to function.

That's no good. I like the looks of the 1895's, but I will steer clear of them. Thanks for the heads up.

ssc45

Observer
I have a marlin guide gun in 45-70. It is not bad for a light weight truck gun or hiking gun. They can be slicked up with aftermarket parts or a trip to Wild West. My favorite 45-70 is the Springfield 1884 trapdoor carbine. They are hard to find. I have had a few in the rifle configuration. I sure wish I had kept one. Still looking for a clean carbine.

Cheers, Steve

marathonracer

Adventurer
I have an 1895gs and absolutely love it easy to handle gun quick to get on target when you shoulder it and very easy to carry through the thick stuff. Mine is "JM" stamped so its an original marlin. From what I've seen in the gun shop the "remlin" issues seem to be over. I would just make sure you look it over well you will be able to tell the fit and finish will be terrible.
I have a friend who is a bear guide (bait and hounds so he needs something fast) who carries a 1895sbl very slick gun from the factory if you want a pistol grip instead of the straight. It also has a big loop and ghost ring from the factory.

Can't say enough about the 45-70 as a cartridge. As long as you understand its obvious limitations obviously it's a short range big punch caliber (some jack wagon always wants to compare it to a belted magnum made to shoot 300 yards). Factory loads are available to make this a very cabale gun for deer but then swap some ammo and you could hunt Africa (with limitations) with it. I've shot several bears with it and been on several hound hunts where its been used either for the first shot or the quick follow-up. The bear is dead when it hits the ground...period.

namsag

I don't recall if the Ruger #1 was ever available in .45-70 but that would be a great rifle. On the other end of the spectrum, the humble NEF/H&R Handi-Rifle is hard to beat. They shoot very well. There is a short version and a long-barrelled Buffalo Classic. Have taken game with both, work every time and accuracy is better than you might think from such an "affordable" rifle. Both come ready to mount a scope. I really like the Buffalo Classic but it is a little more cumbersome to handle in a shooting stand or thick brush, the short version is the ticket there. My guns love the Hornady LeverEvolution ammunition. Check it out.
I will warn you though, they have a way of multiplying. I started with the Buffalo Classic, then the short one appeared, and then out of nowhere there was suddenly another one in 7.62 x 39 for my daughter. Had to get my wife to peel a .308 out of my hands recently, dern thing wouldn't let go of me. They're fun!

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Thanks for all the info!!

I ended up placing an order for a T/C Encore single shot. Local shop gave me a great price for it. Looking forward to breaking it in (4-6 weeks out).

S

Squatchout

TC makes good guns. But you should have bought the Henry IMO! A used H+R Buffalo Classic or Handi-rifle are also good options in a single shot. They were put out of business by Remington but there are still a few new ones around at shows and on the web. 2 weeks ago I saw a NIB 45/70 Handi-Rifle on line at a dealer for under $300.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Recently acquired an 1895GS and am impressed with the quality, definitely none of the early Remlin issues.

Beauty of the 45-70 is felxibility, you can load it anywhere from mellow cowboy action to a major thumper - I believe the Garret loads, which pushes 540 grs at 1550 fps, punches through 60" of wet newspaper!

If you do decide on a Ruger No.1, you can load it even hotter, but don't know how much punishment your shoulder can take...

dozrmn

when I saw the total price for all the goodies I planned to put on my 1895g remlin my interest faded fast. Do I hunt now or spend my hunting money getting the rifle and Tacoma ready for the trip ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles