Do you check or rent skis?

gtbensley

Explorer
Headed out to Colorado next week for some skiing fun, we plan to be out there for ten days but skiing four days total probably. Do you guys normally rent skis once you are out there or check them with the airlines? Seems it will be about $50 per day to rent skis out there x 2 so thats a bit of money. United Airlines says:

United accepts one item of ski or snowboard equipment per customer as checked baggage. Equipment must be securely encased in a suitable container. An item of ski equipment consists of:

Water skis
Up to two snowboards in one bag
Up to two pairs of snow skis and associated equipment in one bag and one ski boot bag.
If the combined weight of the ski bag and boot bag is over 50 pounds (23 kg), applicable overweight charges apply.
A boot bag without an accompanied ski bag is considered one bag and normal baggage fees apply.
First or second checked bag service charges may apply.

Ski equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge for a single piece, whether or not it is presented as a single piece.

Ski and boot bags weighing more than 50 pounds (23 kg) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate ski equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight checked baggage service charge.

United is not liable for damage to water ski, snow ski, or snowboard equipment.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for water ski, snow ski, or snowboard equipment.

So I am think it will cost me $50 each way to get two sets of skis and boots out there? Anyone have experience?

Lucky j

Explorer
Well, all depend how much you like your skis.

I telemark, use the NTN binding and always wanted release in my bindings. Rental do not often have those.

So I check.

If I would downhill, I would think about it, but I would always, always bring my own boots!

Dealing with rental (by the way, for a little more you can usually rent higher end skis and not just the typical intermidiate beginer skis) can always be done, but dealing with unconfortable boots can ruins your ski trip.

But again, my feet do not like any boots. Short, wide and strong lower leg.

gtbensley

Explorer
We WILL be brining our own boots no matter what. Agreed, much better to use our own then wear something that is not comfy.

87Warrior

GP'er
If you love your skis, bring them along. Rentals just won't do unless you are adventurous and pay extra for demos. Although I will admit, I have never needed to check skis on an airline.

gtbensley

Explorer
We WILL be brining our own boots no matter what. Agreed, much better to use our own then wear something that is not comfy.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
No matter what we are doing, if we have our own, we bring it. from fishing, to golf, to snowshoeing to whatever. You know and trust your stuff. I would NEVER jump out of a plane with someone elses chute.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I always travel with my own boots. I often check my skis but in the last few years have enjoyed the opportunity to demo skis. You get better gear than rentals, albeit at a slightly higher price. Then again, what's an extra few bucks on a day that is already tantamount to highway robbery. Skiing prices are insane.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Demo'ing new stuff is cool. As long as they are in great condition. I had a demo snowboard once, and the edge was pulled. made for a horrible experience.

gtbensley

Explorer
Just got back from a great trip!! Checked all our own gear out which ended up being the most cost effective and enjoyable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles