Big Bend National Park and Ranch State Park - January 2016

wngrog

Adventurer
Day Two is divided into three parts.

Camp and Mariscal Mine, Black Gap Road and River Road West

We woke up with the sun. It took about an hour for the sun to break over the mountains to our East and it was cold. Very cold. I think it got into the high 20's that night. We were expecting upper 30's so we all got deep deep into our bags that night.

Watching the sun rise in this part of Texas is only second to the sunsets. It was amazing. The shadow cast by Elephant Tusk on the Chisos was breathtaking.

image-X3.jpg

We all packed up and grouped up in Solis 2 for breakfast and coffee. Andy is the brew master and pulled some big espressos for he and Patrick. These two clowns look 10 years older pre coffee

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
We hit the trail about 8:30 am and turned west on East River Road. Destination, Mariscal Mine.

image-X3.jpg

This mine is worth the trip alone. Make sure you allow a couple of hours to just get out and explore. When I went in July it was 120* so I did not get to spend the time I wanted there. This trip the temps were already up in the 50's when the sun came out so hiking up and around was a breeze.

image-X3.jpg

The mine was active in the late 1800's and early 1900's making Quicksilver or Mercury of bomb fuses. The market dried up after WWI and they closed the mine. There are literally thousands of artifacts laying around and it makes you love that it is protected.

image-1597x1252.jpg

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

image-1597x1252.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
image-X3.jpg

Bailey was the lone child on the trip. She is 12 and is one of the most pleasant adventurous people on earth. We loved watching her adventurous spirit unleashed on the mountains and on the mine.

image-X3.jpg

image-1597x1252.jpg

We finally decide we needed to get moving so we packed up everyone and headed west on East River Road to the south entrance to Black Gap trail.

image-X3.jpg

Here is the entire gallery for Mariscal Mine

http://www.rockmidgetphotography.co...nd-Texas-January-2016/Big-Bend-Mariscal-Mine/

wngrog

Adventurer
Black Gap road is really awesome. It bisects the south central section of Big Bend between River Road near the 20 mile point and Glenn Spring. We decided to leave the stock 100 series at the Elephant Tusk campsite due to the high speed rough sections and his 2 ply tires. David and family piled into my 100 series and I jumped into Andy's truck with him to photo the journey.

IMG_3524-1597x1252.jpg

A Hawk watches for brunch

This trail offers a close look at the south east side of the Chisos and Elephant Tusk mountain. Everywhere you look there is a photo to take.

IMG_3531-X3.jpg

IMG_3535-X3.jpg

IMG_3541-X3.jpg

Black Gap itself is where the road breaks through a ridgeline. The canyon has been improved so there is very little problems for people who get in here and may be over their head.

IMG_3546-1597x1252.jpg

We got a fly-by from the Park pilot. He checks on people in the backcountry every day.

IMG_3550-X3.jpg

IMG_3560-X3.jpg

IMG_3568-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
IMG_3576-1597x1252.jpg

Just before the trail ends at Glenn Spring, the road climbs up a large ridge that is amazing. I think this is the first time we engaged in 4 Low on the trip.

IMG_3577-1597x1252.jpg

IMG_3580-X3.jpg

We flipped around within sight of the huge Cottonwood at Glenn Spring and turned south toward River Road and lunch.

IMG_3586-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
I hate to repeat a trail but if you are going to repeat one, Black Gap is it. The views going south are totally different as is the trail.

IMG_3595-X3.jpg

IMG_3600-X3.jpg

IMG_3606-X3.jpg

IMG_3608-X3.jpg

We gathered up David's Cruiser and hit the flats for River Road and lunch at Talley 1 campsite. That little section in my highly modified 100 made easy money of convincing David's wife Ardenne that the 100 needs a new suspension. My job was done.

IMG_3612-1597x1252.jpg

See all of the photos from Black Gap Road here:

http://www.rockmidgetphotography.co...s/Big-Bend-Texas-January-2016/Black-Gap-Road/

wngrog

Adventurer
We made it to Talley at about 1:30. We had covered a lot of ground already and we were all hungry.

We pulled off River Road and circled the wagons and popped the Foxwing. I learned from my last trip to Big Bend, if you want shade, bring shade. The Foxwing has been awesome and it is really awesome in the desert.

IMG_3617-X3.jpg

IMG_3619-X3.jpg

IMG_3624-X3.jpg

The Expo ladder Xtreme pulled double duty as a quick table for lunch.

IMG_3614-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
Westbound after lunch you quickly hit the halfway point of River Road into West River Road. This section is rougher and will close from time to time after a big rain. The park is paid by the Border Patrol to keep it open so if you catch it closed, you are really having an unlucky trip. Matt the ranger said he can only remember a few days in his 3 years that it was closed.

IMG_3625-X3.jpg

Mule Ears replaces Elephant Tusk and the interesting geological feature for West River Road.

IMG_3633-X3.jpg

We took a side trip to Loop Camp. This is a GREAT camp for 4 vehicles as each holds 2 and they are close to one another.

IMG_3639-X3.jpg

IMG_3646-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
The next stop was Johnson Ranch. This is a great spot. Another good place to camp for larger groups as the sites are close and wind protected. The ranch was used for R&R during WWII and there was an airstrip there.

IMG_3652-X3.jpg

Don't try to walk to the river from here.....its not close. I have the scars to prove it.

IMG_3647-X3.jpg

IMG_3659-1597x1252.jpg

The cemetery there is so lonely it takes your breath away.

IMG_3664-X3.jpg

IMG_3669-X3.jpg

From this point we headed west pretty hard for Castellon and the West River Road terminus. We made it out just before 5 pm, got cell service and checked in with loved ones.

IMG_3674-X3.jpg

IMG_3677-X3.jpg

Santa Elena Canyon loomed large to the south as the sun set on Big Bend.

IMG_3688-X3.jpg

Photo Gallery from River Road West

http://www.rockmidgetphotography.co...xas-January-2016/River-Road-West-BB-Nat-Park/

Last edited:

wngrog

Adventurer
Our second camp was at Terlingua Abajo on the west side of the park. We chose this due to its location at the end of River Road and Santa Elena Canyon as well as the proximity of the campsites to each other.

Matt @yetiranger met us and the site and had dinner with us and regaled us with storied about the park. Patrick whipped up fish tacos and fajitas on his Skottle and we all went to bed around 10 with full bellies.

IMG_3721-X3.jpg

IMG_3728-X3.jpg

IMG_3733-X3.jpg

I checked out the Abajos while the boys huddled around the coffee maker

IMG_3738-X3.jpg

IMG_3736-X3.jpg

IMG_3740-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
That morning I packed up fast and grabbed Bailey and the two of us took off for Santa Elena Canyon to catch the first light as it entered the canyon. We had about an hour to climb around while the others took their time and joined us around 9:30 am.

IMG_3751-1597x1252.jpg

IMG_3754-X3.jpg

IMG_3756-1597x1252.jpg

With Uncle Nolen......safety is our second priority.......

IMG_3759-1597x1252.jpg

This is the view up Terlingua Creek to our campsite. We were able to watch the others as they left camp and made their way toward us.

IMG_3761-X3.jpg

IMG_3772-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
We hiked into the canyon. All you can do it look up. Look up.

IMG_3843-1597x1252.jpg

The hike is easy, the scenery is crazy. 28 years ago I paddled through Santa Elena Canyon and hot my fist taste of Big Bend. I have been mesmerized since.

IMG_3837-1597x1252.jpg

IMG_3829-1597x1252.jpg

We had the timer set and a nice group was coming up and offered to shoot us. We declined and we were timer pros at this point.

IMG_3854-X3.jpg

I wish we had accepted. Maybe we would have been able to determine that we were two groups of like-minded folks overlanding. We got to the parking lot and found their vehicles and for the second time in 3 days we had Overland Envy.

IMG_3855-X3.jpg

IMG_3857-X3.jpg

See the full gallery here:

http://www.rockmidgetphotography.co...g-Bend-Texas-January-2016/Santa-Elena-Canyon/

mph

Expedition Leader
great report...thanks for taking the time with the narrative and pictures. well done!

cationmoted

Observer
Your first trip report was definitely an inspiration. Once I have time to plan appropriately I will extend my traveling around the area.
Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles