Big Bend National Park and Ranch State Park - January 2016

bajarat

Explorer
Looking forward to BBRSP. I have done most of it on 2 wheels. It will be interesting to see a 4 wheel trip report!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great pics and writeup, I really like family adventures and getting the kids out to play....family and friends even better.
I grew up in Texas but never went to Big Bend, looks like I need to head out from Arizona and check it out, thanks for the report and please post more.

wngrog

Adventurer
Two and 1/2 days is a hard push to see as much of Big Bend as we did. Being an off-road trip as much as possible, it is tempting to want to use Old Maverick Road to exit the park, but if you go out through Study Butte, the most beautiful route is along Ross Maxwell Loop in my opinion. Of course, it is paved, but it is superb. Quickly you climb out of the river area and are soon looking west back toward Santa Elena Canyon.

image-1581x1252.jpg

My favorite stop among many is The Sam Nail Ranch.

image-X3.jpg

image-1581x1252.jpg

image-X3.jpg

Water pumps from the original windmill that is still in operation

image-X3.jpg

image-1581x1252.jpg

We took off after the ranch for Terlingua/Study Butte for lunch and to resupply for the trip to Big Bend Ranch State Park.

When I finish this up, @ntsaint will post up the GPS maps and the distances we traveled on and off road.

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
Mine is a 1998 with 150,000 miles, factory locked. Suspension is OME Tbars, Slee Heavy rears, Iron Man Pro shocks. Slee diff drop. Tires are 305-65-18 BFG KO2

The white one with the armor is a 2006 with factory AHC and 275-70-18 Nitto TGs

The green one has a full Iron Man heavy suspension with Pro shocks.

The other white one is bone stock.

wngrog

Adventurer
After lunch in Study Butte, souvenirs at the Terlingua Store and gas at Lajitas we stuck out on one of the most beautiful roads in Texas. FM170 runs along the Rio Grande from Lajitas to Presidio where we would again leave the pavement into Big Bend Ranch State Park.

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
Just like some of you reading this story, I was dying to see Big Bend Ranch State Park. Years ago, on my 3rd trip to Big Bend, my friend Price Burdine regaled me with stories of hiking for days to the center of El Solitario, an ancient volcano crater, that is in the NE part of the park. Now, thanks to the land becoming a State Park, I would be driving my Land Cruiser to the spot it took him days to reach on foot.

We left the pavement about 10 miles south of Presidio and entered into Big Bend Ranch State Park. This place is desolatation personified.

image-1597x1252.jpg

The gravel roads that we drove to the HQ 25 miles in the interior of the park were in excellent condition with very little washboard.

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

I kept starting and stopping and taking pictures. Even after 3 days in the National Park I was still amazed to see there were actual rock formations that were different here than any we had seen yet.

image-1597x1252.jpg

image-X3.jpg

25-30 miles after we left FM170, we rolled into the Ranch HQ.

image-X3.jpg

image-1597x1252.jpg

BBRSP does a great job allowing you to book sites ahead of time. This is nice since we really didn't know much about the sites and our timeline getting in. We had Guale 2 and Tres Papalotes. They are in opposite parts of the park, and after seeing the time it took to get in and out of the park, we decided that we would prioritize the east side of the park so I could finally see El Solitario.

image-1597x1252.jpg

After talking to a beautiful Park employee at the desk, she helped us select Tres Papalotes due to the size of our group and the proximity to The Road to Nowhere in El Solitatio.

wngrog

Adventurer
We arrived in camp just a little over an hour after we left Ranch HQ. The road was a bit slower, but for the most part we made real good time. There were 4 LOW trails splintering off the main trail we were on just about every mile. It seems like the wheeling, hiking and biking opportunities are endless.

image-X3.jpg

The signage in BBRSP has great signs. I still operate off paper maps and I was easily able to follow along on the paper map they provided me.

image-X3.jpg

As you can see, the track has gotten more defined versus the wide gravel roads we had to the HQ and a few miles past

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

I saw this nice fat Javalena along the way.....these things look like pigs but they are really rodents. Large rodents.

We rolled into camp just as the sun was setting to the Southwest.

image-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
So, the absolute most awesome part of the Big Bend Ranch State Park is that they allow ground fires.

image-X3.jpg

We all packed in a bundle of wood for the night and the next morning. When I go back to the State Park, I will bring my M416 with fuel and wood so I can support about 3 days of wheeling this park and camping.

I tossed my Solar Shower on the roof at Terlingua and it was sitting at a balmy 80* when we got to camp. I slipped out the FrontRunner arm, tied it up and took my first shower in 3 days.

image-1597x1252.jpg

We fired up the Skottle, tossed some Venison Sausage on it and started heating up dinner while the sun set.

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

"Expo" ladder in use

image-1597x1252.jpg

Sunset was awesome

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

God Bless America. God Bless a great fire.

IMG_4075-X3.jpg

Photo Gallery Lajitas to Tres Papalotes

http://www.rockmidgetphotography.co...Texas-January-2016/Big-Bend-Ranch-State-Park/

Last edited:

wngrog

Adventurer
IMG_4077-X3.jpg

The next morning Fireman kicked up the campfire with the remaining wood and Andy pulled the espressos

IMG_4095-X3.jpg

Andy noticed that there were hundreds of birds around the well drinking. We snuck around and watched and took pictures

IMG_4096-X3.jpg

IMG_4101-X3.jpg

IMG_4103-X3.jpg

So many of the windmills have been converted to solar now

IMG_4102-1597x1252.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
After wandering around camp for an hour, we hit the trail to the Uranium mine south of camp. The drive up got a bit more technical. We all used 4 low for the climb.

IMG_4105-X3.jpg

IMG_4112-X3.jpg

IMG_4114-X3.jpg

There were two mines. One was close to the road with no way to turn the trucks around at the top. We just admired it from a distance and pressed on up the hill to our destination

IMG_4121-X3.jpg

IMG_4124-X3.jpg

Patrick was photographing his shoes. Something about expo fashion.

IMG_4126-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
This mine is cool......not really the mine as much as the vantage point from the mine. You really feel like you are at the end of the world up there.

IMG_4128-X3.jpg

Our gang......

IMG_4133-X3.jpg

IMG_4136-1597x1252.jpg

The mine itself is capped off but you can climb on it and look down forever. This thing was active during the Cold War when we were mining Uranium as fast as we could to make bombs.

IMG_4138-1597x1252.jpg

I sent the crew down so I could photograph them from the peak and also so I could fly their decent with my Phantom Quad Copter. These things are banned in National Parks but not yet in BBRSP

IMG_4142-X3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles