Big Bend National Park and Ranch State Park - January 2016

wngrog

Adventurer
This past summer I took off for a quick trip to Big Bend National Park to explore the backroads. I had a fantastic time running the trails solo and really getting off the beaten path.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/146066-Big-Bend-Summer-and-Solo-2015

As soon as I got back, two of my friends and I started planning a return trip during cooler weather.

image.jpg

2 of us took off early Wednesday morning on January the 13th from Mississippi and picked up number 3 in West Monroe Louisiana. Big Bend is over 1000 miles and a world away from the deep south.

image-X3.jpg

One of the greatest things about driving to Southwest Texas from Mississippi is getting there for the hour-long sunset.

image-X3.jpg

Our first night destination was Ft Stockton. We got there in 14 hours of easy driving through the Heart of Texas backroads with plenty of stops for Brisket, real Dr Pepper and milkshakes.

We met up with the 4th vehicle of our group, grabbed some real Tex Mex and hit the rack for an early start Thursday morning for the Persimmon Gap entrance to the National Park.

Last edited:

wngrog

Adventurer
The next morning we fueled up on breakfast burritos in Ft Stockton and took off south 90 miles to Big Bend. The sunrise on the drive was on point. Our destination was the North entrance, Persimmon Gap where we would get our backcountry permits. They open at 9 am so we were able to stop and see some sights along the way.

image-X3.jpg

Marathon Texas has the last gas before the park and the cool Gage Hotel. If you are trying to balance a trip to Big Bend with your significant other, this is a great jumping off point. The Gage Hotel is beautifully restored and moderate to high end with excellent food.

image-X3.jpg

Sunrise Shadows

image-X3.jpg

The road from Marathon to Big Bend gives first-timers and veterans alike chills as you approach the Big Bend region and the mountains rise to the south.

image-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
We arrived at the park just a few minutes before 9 am when the park entrance office opens. Backcountry permits are only available 24 hours ahead of time so you can't call ahead to book spots. We had a list of options that would work for our group of four that put us where we wanted to be to get through the park and the backroads over the next 2.5 days.

image-X3.jpg

Going on my experience from the last trip in July, we started on Old Ore Road. This is a superb way to begin seeing the backcountry of Big Bend.

image-X3.jpg

The first views of the Chisos Basin will take your breath away this time of day.

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

Old Ore is cool because it travels through so many different types of terrain. We never used 4 low but we did air down to make the many softball sized rocks on the roads pass easier.

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

Deserted Ranch

image-1597x1252.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
Random Shots along Ole Ore Road looking back toward Mexico of my Land Cruiser buddies.

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

There was random cell service along this part of Old Ore Road and I got a text from my friend Matt @yetiranger who is a Park Ranger. The text said "Have you passed the Germans in the MAN yet?" I was a bit confused by the text until we rounded the corner and ran into this.

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

The couple that owned the MAN were from Germany. They had it shipped to Nova Scotia and were driving North America for 18 months. Old Ore gave them all they wanted. Lots of off camber. The driver was stressed.

wngrog

Adventurer
We linked up with Matt at Ernst Tinaja for lunch. After we had a sandwich, he took off back to work and we hiked up into the Tinaja.

image-X3.jpg

image-1597x1252.jpg

The Tinaja is one of the most interesting and accessible water features in the park.

image-X3.jpg

This ancient oyster bed was carbon dated 93 million years by the Aggie geologist that was on site doing research. He also filled us in on many of the interesting features in the canyon.

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
We hit pavement and turned south to Boquillas Canyon Overlook. This section of asphalt is so beautiful and being able to check out the canyon from above the Rio Grande introduces the newcomers to the river and gives them a close view of Mexico.

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

The Mexicans from the town of Boquillas slip across the river and leave art for sale. Each piece is $6 and are considered contraband by the park but I don't think it is enforced too much.

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

Moonrise

image-1597x1252.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
Because we were only spending two nights in the National Park, we had to fast-forward or skip some sections of the park that I truly love. One is the hike into Boquillas Canyon and the other is Hot Springs. We chose to hit the Chisos Basin instead before we made the final push to our camp at Solis.

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

The Basin was where I stayed the last 2 trips and it is one of the most beautiful spots in the park. We checked it out and promised to return and watch the sunset on another trip.

Our campsite for the night was at the end of Glenn Spring Road and a small section of East River Road called Solis. It was 2 hours to dark and we had 20 miles of off road to cover before camp.

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

wngrog

Adventurer
Our final push for the day got us to one of the most remote places in the park and one of the most remote places in the Lower 48 for the night.

image-X3.jpg

After a quick trip to the river to explore, we split up and camped in Solis 1 and 2 which are about 250 yards apart. Most campsites in Big Bend are designated for 2 vehicles only so Solis was a good spot since they were within walking distance.

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

Camp was beautiful in the waning minutes of the long day.

image-1597x1252.jpg

Andy from Louisiana heated up some wonderful gumbo and we all settled in early after a long wonderful day.

image-X3.jpg

image-X3.jpg

upndown

Adventurer
Awesome pics! Have yet to make it there, on my bucket list. Can't seem to make it further east than NM. Then north as far as BC and west to the coast. But someday!! Thank you for sharing. :sombrero:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
We were there about 6 weeks before you (Thanksgiving week) and had a great time. I'm looking forward to your BBRSP portion since we had to bypass that one.

ljrunner05

Adventurer
Looks like I'm adding somewhere else to my Overlanding Bucketlist. Looks awesome! Can't wait to see the rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles