XJSuperman's Jeep XJ & Related

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Yup, but DW didn't/doesn't occur on a daily basis or anything. It has not been that bad in a couple years, since Ive now replaced the old stock control arms, trackbar, steering box, and such.

Guess time will tell at this point. Change one thing at a time, and go from there...

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
No DW since the tightening...seems good so far, but time will tell.

Had some fun the other day with the Jeep and a sled. One of my little sisters had a heck of a ride..

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Sometimes I find it hard to keep this up-to-date. Its less user friendly than my other forum.

Anyhow, not too much done to the Jeep, the headliner has been out for months, the speakers out, and new material for the replacement was ordered and is waiting to be installed. I have 4 new speakers also waiting to be installed, and another speaker bar to be installed at a later date. Trying to decide on whether or not I want to keep the OEM stereo. The Jeep just got a SmittyBilt awning for Christmas, and it will get insalled after I take care of the projects I started, but its looking like 2017 is gonna be a good year in the Jeeping Adventure department.

I have some skidplates I scored cheap this summer that are partially installed ( I still need to get the front skid fitted and clearing my steering (which I hope to replace), but money has been tight with life-related expenses and technology upgrades. It seems like everything I have wants to fail at the same time. So a new computer and some odds n ends have had to happen. Also, I bought a 25 year old Ford Ranger a few weeks ago for a winter DD and that needed work. Hopefully after the first of the year I can begin to resume projects.

Here is a video I just finished on the new laptop from a fall wheeling trip to MIOBI here in south-central Iowa:

IMG_2542.jpg
IMG_2531.jpg
IMG_2499.jpg

Last edited:

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Ok, the full interior and instrument LED conversion is complete as of this weekend. I have it all videoed, posted, and wrapped up......sort of. I have left most of it apart still because it is time to run new speaker wires to both front doors. Any tips for this would be appreciated!

My dash now has dimming-capable LEDs in it, thanks to OneWayLight.com. Awesome dude there. And any burntout bulbs are back and brighter than ever. I love it. Its a refresh for the dash, but clearer to read, and has so much less draw on the battery. I did the whole swap over a couple days and the Jeep started without a hiccup. Usually only takes an hour or two to kill the battery with regular bulbs.

The immediate projects in this Phase are:
X -LED install
-new front door speaker wiring
-new front door speakers
-headliner
-install additional led indicator lights in my aux switches
-possibly find the sacred high idle switch or whatever that may take (did 2001's even have that wiring hidden still?)

And that should be enough to wrap up the interior renovation for the 2017 wheeling/camping/adventure season.

Also, I had to fix my rear windshield wiper switch because it self-detonated somehow in the process of being unplugged and moved for LED insertion. i followed this link here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fi...-wiper-948791/ and it worked (so far). Time and my superglueing skills will tell the truth.

179474d1485231003-xjsupermans-2001-xj-wiper-switch-fix.jpg

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Working on acquiring the parts jeep i bought a few weeks ago. I need the front axle, some random interior crap, and a mirror. Many potential projects with a whole Jeep. Gotta get my OBA, 5 points, headliner, and power panel. Awesome.

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Today was a good day. I got my coolant overflow bottle relocated to the opposite side of the engine bay, directly in front of my "cai" filter. I need to cut the heatshield and clearance it tomorrow at work. I want more space for the OBA project on that side of the engine bay, and so it had to go. Didn't make much sense running a hose all the way across to it anyways so I moved it closer. Lol. What should have been fairly quick took some time because I have a "cai" on the Jeep and the heatshield and filter were in the way for the bottle to sit where I wanted. So the shield is getting cut up tomorrow as its the last piece to the puzzle.

So this mini project required several minor mods to get it all in place. First I unscrewed the bottle from its original home and undid the hose. Then I removed my air filter and heatshield. None of this helped get the bottle tucked in enough for the hood to shut, so I unscrewed this electronic thing (honestly not sure what it is exactly, probably the computer) and proceeded to cut off a significant amount of material on the mounting "feet" and put it back. This got me maybe a 1/2" of space by tucking it closer to the fender of the Jeep.

Then I used a 2x4 and a hammer and beat the crap out of the bottom part of the inner fender and that gained me a bit of vertical clearance. Also note the little twisted brackets I put in for attaching the zipties to (they'll work for now). Then I cut the hose to length and called it quits. The hood closed with no problems and the filter should fit. All thats left is the heatshield.
f3e4b552912384ac9ce7e40a41e38d30.jpg

181506d1488153962-xjsupermans-2001-xj-20170226_155202.jpg

181514d1488153962-xjsupermans-2001-xj-20170226_155217.jpg

181530d1488154469-xjsupermans-2001-xj-20170226_162514.jpg

181538d1488154469-xjsupermans-2001-xj-20170226_162521.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94