Adam's 2005 4runner Modular Drawer System - Initial Planning & Build thread

Krayziekid

Observer
Absolutely awesome dude. Seriously considering building a set for myself after seeing the utility of this. I have a ton of crap in the back of my 03 that just rolls around and stuff. Would be really interesting in making a slightly shorter set of your shelves.

Quick question or two for you though.

1. About how much would you say it cost you for the raw materials? I.e. wood and rails.

2. I know you said that the outer shell is 1/2" birch plywood. What are the drawers themselves made of? Or is everything 1/2"

3. What kind of weight are you looking at with that thing? I don't want to load down my trunk too much just with the structure of the shelves, but it would be nice to have a little weight in the back to settle out my Superflex 2.5s in the rear.

Thanks Adam!

Absolutely awesome dude. Seriously considering building a set for myself after seeing the utility of this. I have a ton of crap in the back of my 03 that just rolls around and stuff. Would be really interesting in making a slightly shorter set of your shelves.

Quick question or two for you though.

1. About how much would you say it cost you for the raw materials? I.e. wood and rails.

2. I know you said that the outer shell is 1/2" birch plywood. What are the drawers themselves made of? Or is everything 1/2"

3. What kind of weight are you looking at with that thing? I don't want to load down my trunk too much just with the structure of the shelves, but it would be nice to have a little weight in the back to settle out my Superflex 2.5s in the rear.

Thanks Adam!

Thanks for the feedback, I plan to figure out a way to distribute either cad or cut instruction "blue prints" to people in the future at a reasonable price, so maybe any feedback or interest on that would be greatly appreciated.

1. Here is my budget including dual battery build thus far.

o5gByG1.jpg

2. Everything is 1/2" birch, due to the size of the drawers and the weight going in them, 1/4" would have been too flimsy for bottom or side support.
I plan to reduce weight through the use of web openings on the sides and the bottoms of the drawer carcasses. This will increase strength as well. (much like in I-beam construction)

UA3553_fh_1-600x600.jpg

3.The weight is not the lightest. I can get you an exact weight once its completed. A lot of the weight derives from the heavy duty sliders themselves. There are probably 50lbs alone. I'm hoping its around 200lbs when completed. The vehicle handles no different with the drawers.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Krayziekid

Observer
Thanks for the feedback, I plan to figure out a way to distribute either cad or cut instruction "blue prints" to people in the future at a reasonable price, so maybe any feedback or interest on that would be greatly appreciated.

1. Here is my budget including dual battery build thus far.

o5gByG1.jpg

2. Everything is 1/2" birch, due to the size of the drawers and the weight going in them, 1/4" would have been too flimsy for bottom or side support.
I plan to reduce weight through the use of web openings on the sides and the bottoms of the drawer carcasses. This will increase strength as well. (much like in I-beam construction)

UA3553_fh_1-600x600.jpg

3.The weight is not the lightest. I can get you an exact weight once its completed. A lot of the weight derives from the heavy duty sliders themselves. There are probably 50lbs alone. I'm hoping its around 200lbs when completed. The vehicle handles no different with the drawers.

Thanks again for the feedback!

That sounds awesome. How are you planning on incorporating the web openings? Are you drilling holes into the wood, or using something like that piece of metal you linked? And dang! 200lbs! That's a lot hahah. I really love the design but man if I build something similar I might have to look in to stiffer springs!

That sounds awesome. How are you planning on incorporating the web openings? Are you drilling holes into the wood, or using something like that piece of metal you linked? And dang! 200lbs! That's a lot hahah. I really love the design but man if I build something similar I might have to look in to stiffer springs!

Drilling holes in the wood. the Metal is just to show you what the holes look like. Yea it's not the lightest. I have Overland rear springs and haven't noticed a difference in ride height at all, even when fully loaded with RTT as well.

Also its a modular system. If you only need one drawer, or don't need the side storage, you can easily shave off a lot of weight.

spenny

Glamper
well done. Very purposely buil, like it a lot

How far could those lift up hinges go if they were unihibited? Or is that the full extension that they are capable of?

Drawer Update
  • Monstaliner complete
  • Foam Organization in Kitchen Drawer
  • ARB 50 Quart Fridge aquired
  • Alucab fridge slider with slide and tilt completed (small size)

0maU4m2.jpg

1uiu9nE.jpg

ZrTCr3I.jpg

PFYU7KP.jpg

Redman333

Adventurer
Drawer Update
  • Monstaliner complete
  • Foam Organization in Kitchen Drawer
  • ARB 50 Quart Fridge aquired
  • Alucab fridge slider with slide and tilt completed (small size)

0maU4m2.jpg

1uiu9nE.jpg

ZrTCr3I.jpg

PFYU7KP.jpg

How do you like that fridge tilt slide? I was going to get the timbo tusk slide with the cutting board under it but saw the tilt slide and am thinking about getting that instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you like that fridge tilt slide? I was going to get the timbo tusk slide with the cutting board under it but saw the tilt slide and am thinking about getting that instead.

All depends on how tall you are. I'm 6ft so its more of a luxury for me, so the timbo tusk slide seemed intriguing as well. But after realizing my 5ft7 girlfriend and maybe even future kids would need to gain access to the fridge, the tilting feature was a homerun.

Redman333

Adventurer
All depends on how tall you are. I'm 6ft so its more of a luxury for me, so the timbo tusk slide seemed intriguing as well. But after realizing my 5ft7 girlfriend and maybe even future kids would need to gain access to the fridge, the tilting feature was a homerun.

I'd be in the same boat as you. I'm 6ft but the GF is a foot shorter then me. How much did you get the tilt slide for anyway? Just curious on the price difference.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I'd be in the same boat as you. I'm 6ft but the GF is a foot shorter then me. How much did you get the tilt slide for anyway? Just curious on the price difference.

I think they are around $500. You can email easy slide in Australia and order one of their drop slides. Maddiesel a member on T4R has one and I just placed an order for the ES100Plus, they will ship it for around $600 USD. Exchange rates are in our favor.

Redman333

Adventurer
I think they are around $500. You can email easy slide in Australia and order one of their drop slides. Maddiesel a member on T4R has one and I just placed an order for the ES100Plus, they will ship it for around $600 USD. Exchange rates are in our favor.

I don't think I want to get a drop slide though. I could be completely wrong but they seem slightly difficult to operate and a lot of moving parts makes me worry about something failing when out on the trail.

I want a setup that is simple even for someone not familiar with fridge slides. Where I can say hey grab that handle and pull down and the fridge will lower and they will know how to do it. When I watch the drop slide videos it seems there are 3-4 steps to dropping the fridge and raising it. Where a tilt slide or regular pullout slide only has one. Which is to unlock the slide.

I have yet to see a drop slide in person so it's hard to say whether I'm right about this or not but from watching videos this is what I've come to. So for now at least I feel either a straight slide or tilt slide is the way to go for me. I will check to find out how much they are though.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I don't think I want to get a drop slide though. I could be completely wrong but they seem slightly difficult to operate and a lot of moving parts makes me worry about something failing when out on the trail.

I want a setup that is simple even for someone not familiar with fridge slides. Where I can say hey grab that handle and pull down and the fridge will lower and they will know how to do it. When I watch the drop slide videos it seems there are 3-4 steps to dropping the fridge and raising it. Where a tilt slide or regular pullout slide only has one. Which is to unlock the slide.

I have yet to see a drop slide in person so it's hard to say whether I'm right about this or not but from watching videos this is what I've come to. So for now at least I feel either a straight slide or tilt slide is the way to go for me. I will check to find out how much they are though.

Fair enough. OK4WD has the tilts for 449.95 http://ok4wd.com/shop-by-vendor/alucab/alu-cab-tilting-fridge-slide-small-medium-fridges

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles