Sleeping setup for long bed

michaelk

I'm having a tough time coming up with an idea on how my wife, daughter and I can all sleep in the truck bed, long bed, under the shell. My daughters only 4 but it would be ideal to design something that could work for at least another 3-5 years. Has anyone else tackled this type of setup and if so can you share your pics or ideas.
Thanks and its a 2000 7.3 psd supercab long bed.

michaelk

Don't have the shell yet, but thinking a leer or the likes, just standard truck bed shell. Trying to decide if we are going to go the shell route or go with a hard side cab over like a lance or something. If the shell can work I would rather go that route so we can travel more places with it.

quickfarms

Adventurer
With the cab height shell you are pretty much limited to a sleeping platform. Picture all of you sleeping in a queen size bed.

With a cabover you can build bunk beds. The top one extends into the cabover portion and the lower one runs across the bed or on the sides, more options

Rot Box

Explorer
Does your truck have a sliding rear window? I have my daughter sleep in the back seat of the truck when I have the shell on. The sliding window(s) is nice because we can talk to each other and she doesn't feel like she's alone. Once I start snoring the window closes LOL. Just a thought.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Does your truck have a sliding rear window? I have my daughter sleep in the back seat of the truck when I have the shell on. The sliding window(s) is nice because we can talk to each other and she doesn't feel like she's alone. Once I start snoring the window closes LOL. Just a thought.

The rear seat in most trucks is more than large enough for a toddler to sleep in, this sounds like a great idea.

michaelk

good idea on sleeping in the back seat, the truck does have a back window but is an extended cab not a crew cab so ill have to look at the back seat sleeping option, that seat does not fold flat either.
Thanks again for the ideas.

cliniford

Observer
I built my sleep platform in my Dodge 2500 just above the wheel wells. It's plenty big enough for me, my wife, and my 2 young daughters. Kinda cozy but there is enough room.

mkitchen

Explorer
A couple of ideas

I had an extended cab Ford and I built a platform that ran the width of the cab and went from the back of the front seat to the back of the cab. I had it set up so that it could be put up as needed so you could set something like that up once in camp. That way you could provide a comfortable. cozy spot for your daughter and the two of you sleep in the camper. Careful though, if your wife and daughter get mad at you, it may be you sleeping in the, then, not so comfy, cozy cab bed.

I have a shell on my current Ford, 1971 F 250 4X4 standard cab (only cab back then) and my wife and I sleep comfortably in the back and we have three dogs that sleep with us but my bed is 6' wide and 7' long so there is plenty of room. If you can afford an actual camper you will probably find that you will use it more since all of you will be more comfortable when travelling. If you do go that way, check out Phoenix or Four Wheel campers. A camper with a collapsible top will do you a lot better when in the back country.

Also, a shell that is a bit taller than the cab is a lot nicer if you go with the shell. I have my bed at the height of the bed of the truck and I still have room to sit up in bed and read, etc. My bed is made in a way that I can simply reduce the length and then have room to stoop/stand when getting dressed. I really don't like dressing while laying down. Thirty years ago, not so bad but now, no thank you.
Mikey

p nut

butter
Hey, what do you have against a good ol' ground tent?? :D My kids love sleeping in the tent. It's pretty comfortable with a big air mattress in there.

michaelk

All good ideas, nothing against the ground tent, that's the setup now, just thinking that sometimes it would be nice to all be inside. The pop up style would be ideal, but they are costly, I'm looking to keep costs down but still allow an enclosed on vehicle shelter. I think I may try the back seat shelf idea for the little one. Thank you

poriggity

Explorer
This is my prefered method.. Truck bed tent. With an 8 foot bed it's like the Taj Mahal in there... And is easily removed and set on the ground for exploring during the day.

7c105779f3635cbeb1d94bb6faf76323.jpg

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Seabass

Idiot
Somewhere down the list there's a thread titled "let's see some set up regular camper shells" or something like that. There's bunches of pages and loads of ideas. You might look there. I've been using cots under my shell. They set up fast and come down just as fast. Seems to work for us....but we only have dogs for company instead of youngsters. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online