Amertek Rob

Observer
New to the forum, been working on my Amertek chassis for about a year now, getting ready to start sub frame and body construction and came across many references to this forum! now i'm addicted

Attachments

• IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    570.5 KB · Views: 63

tahoejmfc

I purchased one last month, it arrived by truck last week. It has 5500 miles and we are turning it into a Burning Man Mutant Vehicle with a focus on flame effects.

I was thinking of taking ours apart just like you did with yours
IMG_0741-1.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 10.55.04 PM.jpg
One of our design concepts

Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 4.14.00 PM.jpg

we are using the tank for seating in our current design
Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 4.14.20 PM.jpg

Here is the tank being opened up
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 11.37.39 PM.jpg

I am in deep need of the manual for this vehicle if anyone can provide.

I have the manual for the Detroit 6V92 in Pdf but Expedition portal wont let me post a link yet

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow these vehicles are just soooo :drool:cool! Can you guys tell me if they are street legal and what it costs to purchase one? I can guess that they are ex military and you got them off the military auction. Any other info you guys have would be cool. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Amertek Rob

Observer
They are street legal! Only 8'6" wide, mine came from an gov auction, picked up 30 minutes from my shop in Port Hueneme California at the Base, did the paperwork with department of motor vehicles, got a clean title and registered as non operational until completed, then I'll go back and register as a motor home, personal use motor homes are exempt from the new diesel emissions regulations.
I paid $8,500 usd for mine it has a little over 8,000 miles on it, all it needed to drive was a set of batteries.
They have a bad reputation among firefighters who used them,

Amertek Rob

Observer
Glad to see I'm not the only one �� Mine was complete when I got it, mostly recycled now
I just finished removing the PTO/ pump drive , witch moved the transmission back 18" and cut some weight I also moved the rear axle back 18",
More pictures soon

Amertek Rob

Observer
I purchased one last month, it arrived by truck last week. It has 5500 miles and we are turning it into a Burning Man Mutant Vehicle with a focus on flame effects.

I was thinking of taking ours apart just like you did with yours
View attachment 329837

View attachment 329838
One of our design concepts

View attachment 329840

we are using the tank for seating in our current design
View attachment 329841

Here is the tank being opened up
View attachment 329839

I am in deep need of the manual for this vehicle if anyone can provide.

I have the manual for the Detroit 6V92 in Pdf but Expedition portal wont let me post a link yet

There is a lot of wasted space under that tank ! You might think about removing it and building a flat floor

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
They are street legal! Only 8'6" wide, mine came from an gov auction, picked up 30 minutes from my shop in Port Hueneme California at the Base, did the paperwork with department of motor vehicles, got a clean title and registered as non operational until completed, then I'll go back and register as a motor home, personal use motor homes are exempt from the new diesel emissions regulations.
I paid $8,500 usd for mine it has a little over 8,000 miles on it, all it needed to drive was a set of batteries.

I guess the auctions are only open to Americans? Also curious as to why the vehicles got a bad rap with firefighters? Thanks for posting up and looking forward to new pics soon. Cheers, Chilli..:bike_rider:

tahoejmfc

Freakin Score for 8,500$. Mine cost $14,000 with 5,500 miles. almost no rust, good tires, feel alittle ripped off, but it is what it is. I found mine on a fire engine website.

We have decided to remove the entire tank as well as the 3' of dead spare forward and behind the main 1000 gallon tank. We wont be removing the PTO like you did to save a tiny bit of space. The cost to do that as well as getting a longer axel will eat into our propane fund.;)

This project is a very limited budget, mostly donation from people who have been to Burning Man and understand the work ahead of us

Amertek Rob

Observer
I guess the auctions are only open to Americans? Also curious as to why the vehicles got a bad rap with firefighters? Thanks for posting up and looking forward to new pics soon. Cheers, Chilli..:bike_rider:

doesn't seem fair since they came from Canada !

Amertek Rob

Observer
Freakin Score for 8,500$. Mine cost $14,000 with 5,500 miles. almost no rust, good tires, feel alittle ripped off, but it is what it is. I found mine on a fire engine website.

We have decided to remove the entire tank as well as the 3' of dead spare forward and behind the main 1000 gallon tank. We wont be removing the PTO like you did to save a tiny bit of space. The cost to do that as well as getting a longer axel will eat into our propane fund.;)

This project is a very limited budget, mostly donation from people who have been to Burning Man and understand the work ahead of us

Don't feel bad mine is rusty and had tractor style tires no good for highway use, but I still love it,

Amertek Rob

Observer
Today's pics

So this weekend, checked out the air dryer, it's bad new one on the way, new rear brake hoses, removed the exhaust system to re route, made a temporary bracket to mount the temporary fuel tank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    554.5 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    570.7 KB · Views: 36

tahoejmfc

nice work, chugging along nicely. I am working through the electrical this weekend.

Do you happen to have a copy of the CF4000L Manual?

I have the hydraulic and electrical schematics and will get them online soon

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thats a pretty:drool: cool looking rig you got there Rob. I would think that with the engine in the rear it would have great weight distribution and make it ideal for some off road adventures. Has anyone ever wheeled these rigs?:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles