What is it like to use a Waxed Jacket everyday?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
As a wax canvas gear company (Adventure Tool Co) I've had nearly every type of waxed canvas garment out there in the last two decades. Used them from Alaska to most of the lower 48. Everything everyone has stated before is spot on, except for the personality that a wax garment takes on. Like an old leather bomber jacket, wax garments patina with time and wear, also
every mark, stain and scratch has a story and people love talking about them (when was the last time some asked about an old nylon goretex jacket?) and like most of my gear, my son is waiting for them to be passed down. But, like most gear choices, something's aren't for everyone. Go luck and great adventures!

shellb

Adventurer
Paul - Interested in hearing your suggestions for jackets if you don't mind?

Btw might have to stop in to buy some stuff shortly. Thinking about a custom project too!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Paul - Interested in hearing your suggestions for jackets if you don't mind?

Btw might have to stop in to buy some stuff shortly. Thinking about a custom project too![/QUOTE

Hey Brett-

Filson Tin Cloth.

Shoot me an e-mail and would love to discuss your idea.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I have owned a couple of dozen Gore-Tex and other laminated fabric jackets. I've never had the issues many report, which I attribute to users not understanding how to clean and maintain those garments. Even when I lived in a part of Alaska that got 14 feet of moisture a year, mostly rain, Gore-Tex was my go-to. I have used waxed canvas off and on over the years but it doesn't quite suit my personal needs. I don't often require heavy abrasion resistance but lightweight layers. Waxed canvas is too heavy and bulky for my individual needs. I'm also not wild about the aroma of waxed fabrics for apparel. And it does occasionally transfer that wax and smell to things like car seats which makes my wife nuts.

But, for those days in Alaska when I was outside in the piss, splitting wood or doing other chores, waxed canvas was the jam.

zimm

Expedition Leader
waxed cotton is a fashion statement and smells like finger after freshly picking an ear. wear it if you own a 750 norton.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Because I forgot to pack wrenching coveralls or a ground pad on a flight to AZ to pick up a land rover...

Ended up in a truck stop parking lot under an oily vehicle refilling and draining an LT230 with a Barbour beacon on. It was too cold to not have a jacket on otherwise (beginning of December). Had no marks or stains afterwards which surprised me. There was EP-90 everywhere too.

Loved Barbour even more after that. Maybe I take some sort of dark pleasure trying to ruin equipment that ends up being fantastic

The Yak

Observer
Over the past 30+ years I have always had one or two Barbour waxed cotton jackets.

Yes, difficult to keep clean but I do not buy them for smart.
Yes, they do tend to look better when used and dirty!
Yes, they do get to have that certain aroma attained by waxed cotton and dirt.
Yes, re-wax them periodically as they will start to let the damp through.
Yes, be aware of wax transference to seats and seat belts.

I do have Gore-Tex jackets as well, but I always carry an old waxed jacket as part of my kit in the back of my truck for the times when you cannot help but get wet and dirty.

perterra

Adventurer
Over the past 30+ years I have always had one or two Barbour waxed cotton jackets.

Yes, difficult to keep clean but I do not buy them for smart.
Yes, they do tend to look better when used and dirty!
Yes, they do get to have that certain aroma attained by waxed cotton and dirt.
Yes, re-wax them periodically as they will start to let the damp through.
Yes, be aware of wax transference to seats and seat belts.

I do have Gore-Tex jackets as well, but I always carry an old waxed jacket as part of my kit in the back of my truck for the times when you cannot help but get wet and dirty.

I have both Barbour and Filson. I think the Barbour is a little more refined and a little more comfortable than Filson, but I think Filson may be a little tougher.

perterra

Adventurer
waxed cotton is a fashion statement and smells like finger after freshly picking an ear. wear it if you own a 750 norton.

Your too sensitive. LOL

It has it's uses, may be archaic but it goes far beyond a fashion statement. It can be maintenance intensive if used in wet weather, but it's no more a fashion statement than a wool shirt or hand wind watch.

Though I will admit to people buying them for the look. I have a 20 year old Filson 1440 that in a previous job one of the other salesguys inquired about. He said I want one like that, I said they sell them, he said no I want it to look like that. :clapping: I told him buy a new one, wear it, sweat in it, get mud on it, spray it with the garden hose and brush it clean, cross a hundred barbwire fences, sit in a smoky camp fire, it will look just like it.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
I had a Filson waxed jacked made out of cover cloth that I bought a few years ago on clearance. This year I couldn't find it and since it was discontinued, there weren't any around. I finally found a new one on eBay and bought it. While I was looking I bought a Barbour jacket on eBay and although it was a large it wasn't made for American bellies and I couldn't button it. Luckily my wife likes it. I like the moleskin lined pockets and collar on the Filson better than the corduroy collar on the Barbour.

Perterra, there seems to be a booming market for old Filson gear. I guess people want to look like they've used the gear for years and years right after they bought it. Maybe in a few years I can sell my large duffel for more than I paid for it and get a new one. :) It still is looking pretty good though, just dirty.

Chad

perterra

Adventurer
I had a Filson waxed jacked made out of cover cloth that I bought a few years ago on clearance. This year I couldn't find it and since it was discontinued, there weren't any around. I finally found a new one on eBay and bought it. While I was looking I bought a Barbour jacket on eBay and although it was a large it wasn't made for American bellies and I couldn't button it. Luckily my wife likes it. I like the moleskin lined pockets and collar on the Filson better than the corduroy collar on the Barbour.

Perterra, there seems to be a booming market for old Filson gear. I guess people want to look like they've used the gear for years and years right after they bought it. Maybe in a few years I can sell my large duffel for more than I paid for it and get a new one. :) It still is looking pretty good though, just dirty.

Chad

I think you are right, they are looking for that "instant" personality. You got to be careful now with both Filson and Barbour, they have started selling to a younger "stylish" generation, the same generation that likes their clothes a size too small. In Filson they call it the Seattle fit, sleeves too short and waist not really made to zip unless you are anorexic. In Barbour, just look for the classic fit stuff, the other is small for it's size.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I have an Outback Trading Company waxed canvas jacket (unsure of what exact jacket it is) that I've been using for over 4 years now. Hands down the best jacket I have ever owned, but definitely is in need of a re-wax. Best part about these jackets is just watching water wick away. Come back in the house with the jacket covered in water, just shake it a little and *poof* it's dry!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles