40 Guy builds a 100 Series

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Here is the overall look this will achieve. I like how this is coming along, I think the balance of aesthetics, light output, glare, and protection are where I want them. Today I made a jig for my milling machine to start all the upper hoop stand-offs, and I bent up the upper hoops for my buddies rack to fit his dual light bars on top of the rack. They are gonna look great.

A few shots of the rack/light bar/truck and how they will sit on the 100.

img_0888-jpg.1449955

img_0908-jpg.1449956

img_0891-jpg.1449957

img_0893-jpg.1449958

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I got to get out and play for a few hours, nice to see the 305's tuck so nicely when I am twisted up and turning.
image-jpg.1454600

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I got the upper hoop mounted up on my roof rack. A few more final welds, and creating the sunroof panel attachments are all that remain. It's been a fun ride, but I am ready to start using the thing instead of making it. :bounce: What do you guys think?

It is finally coming together. I am impressed with how light it still is. I bet its about 50ish pounds as it sits. The sunroof panel will add some more weight but by not adding a floor this thing is trim.
img_0975-jpg.1459245

Have I mentioned I hate welding 16ga tubing yet? Man, you get a good bead moving and WHAM, I burn through, it is pretty fine line between solid weld beads and burning through... requiring building the weld back up and not doing it again. Good fit up is everything with this gauge tubing.
img_0976-jpg.1459246

Here is a shot of the rear section, leaving two slots for low profile LED lights and a center section for add on's down the road.
img_0978-jpg.1459247

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Last week while the family was out shopping we came across this 10" sub box at the local Goodwill during half price Saturday, so for a whopping $5 bucks I brought this home and figured I could finally get off my duff and toss some gear I have had collecting dust on the shelf together and get some thump in my trunk.

The dual 4" subs in the 100 actually perform well for what they are. But they in no way compare to a proper sub. I used to install car audio as a hobby and side job (back in the day) but I haven't messed with it in a long time. I picked up this sub and amp a while ago for a great deal but making a simple 1 cubic foot box stalled me out... man three kids and a loving wife and my garage time goes to other things. Finding this box made this a plug and play... well almost. It was in grungy black carpet, that had to go.

Here is what I am starting with...

Alpine Type R 10" subwoofer (these are amazing for the price)
Alpine MRP-M500 500 watt mono amp.
Alpine Speaker grill for the sub
Q-Logic 10" speaker box with .65 cu/ft sealed air space.
1 square yard of OEM Matched tan vinyl
img_0933-jpg.1459261

My el-cheap-o box. The Alpine Type R's can handle serious power and they hit really clean. They are a high value sub.
img_0934-jpg.1459262

I started a thread here a long time ago looking for OEM color vinyl and Keystone Bros was recommended, sure enough the guy who helped me walked out to the 100 with a big swatch book of colors and bingo we were on to "Neutral Tan" I'll grab the factory part number but don't have it handy right now, but it is 100 percent dead on.
img_0935-jpg.1459263

Rezarf <><

Explorer
First up was to get the carpet off the box so I could apply the vinyl. This box was attractive since it has these cover panels covering all the seams of where the wood/carpet come together making it EASY to apply the vinyl. First up was pulling all the old panels and the speaker terminal cup out and remove them from the box.

img_0937-jpg.1459278

img_0938-jpg.1459279

Grabbed some pliers and yanked all the old carpet off the box. It came off in one big sheet. That was a big deal I didn't want to mess with picking at it all day. I used a heat gun to get the adhesive loosened up a bit then tugged. Easy.
img_0939-jpg.1459280

You can see it came off in one big sheet plus both sides.
img_0940-jpg.1459281

Here is the naked box, I took a sander to it to knock down the pattern left by the carpet and the glue. I just needed to get it back to bare wood.
img_0941-jpg.1459282

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I started the wrap by laying the vinyl in the sun to loosen it up, this promotes good adhesion and it allows it to stretch a little better too. Tossing it in the dryer can accomplish the same thing but this is greener HA!
img_0945-jpg.1459284

Box is sanded and ready to get wrapped. I started on the bottom, sprayed both side with contact cement and started to wrap it up like a big Christmas present. Just spray one panel and enough vinyl at a time and work your way around the box.
img_0947-jpg.1459286

Yank each of the corners and use pressure to make it contact solidly. You'd want to stretch and pull over each corner to make it transition well from one panel to another.
img_0949-jpg.1459287

And the finished result all put together with the sub, grill and trim ring. It came out great. I'll do a write up on the amp install when I get to it.
img_0951-jpg.1459288

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I scored a used/unused Oz Tent Foxwing awning on CL the other day. I found a fella who was trying to mount this on top of a Sprinter van but the extendable poles wouldn't reach the ground and the awning... too tall. Good deal for me, I will get it mounted up soon for my Solar Eclipse run up to Wyoming next month to check out the full solar eclipse. I am really impressed with the "canvas" on this thing, it feels really nice and it drips quality. I was stoked to get it for just a little more than the ARB 2500 I was looking at buying.

img_1168-jpg.1494470

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Also, I bought a used 100 series OME lift "kit" off a fellow Rising Sun 4x4 friend here in Denver. After adding the bumpers, sliders, roof rack, winch, dual batteries and a plan to add a full set of drawers and skids... the factory suspension is squishy, wobbly at speed and loose in the corners. My :princess: said "we need to do something about this!" I said "OK, but only for the children's safety." :lol: :bounce:

I need to put a call into Christo and the gang at Slee tomorrow to decide on which rear spring I want to run? Any preferences from the Mud crowd? I am looking at the OME 2.5" Heavies from ARB and the Slee 3" Heavies... I wish I could drive before I buy but the guys at Slee haven't let me down yet, and they're local so that's fun.

I'll need to add a diff drop and a set of upper control arms before being "done" with the suspension but I am excited to start getting it dialed in and bolted up. I'll likely fab a rear adjustable panhard bar if I find my axle getting off centered, and extend both the bump stops and sway bar mounts with home booty fabbed units.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel on this build. The 100 keeps on impressing me.

img_1362-jpg.1494473

The torsion bars are PURE BEEF! Wow... they have got to be double the size of the factory bars. I am stoked to get them popped in.
img_1363-jpg.1494474

Rezarf <><

Explorer
SUB'D!

Also, Is Tim @Gamviti still selling racks and such?

He sure is, contact him through his website. He might have snuck out on vacation or something, he has amazing racks with amazing service but he is a one man show... give him time, he's worth it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne