Dodge Ram bed rack

JJEH

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before. I'm wanting a bed rack for my Dodge Ram just like All-Pro Off Road offers but it's for Tacoma and Tundra only :( The only alternative I can find is the Leitner ACS, which is nice but costly.
And I don't really want to use a camper shell. My main thing is to put a roof tent on top of it and have plenty of storage in the bed. Are there any other alternatives out there?

I appreciate any help :)

jgaz

Adventurer
Have you contacted All-Pro? I spoke with someone from the company that was at Overland Expo two years ago. He offered to sell me the pieces so I could custom fit their design to a Dodge Dakota I had at the time. It wouldn't be "bolt on" but to me it looked like a workable solution.

p nut

butter
Plenty of options if all you're wanting is a rack to hold the RTT. Thule, Tracrac, Yakima and few others make racks similar to what you're looking for. And probably at a cheaper price than a custom from All-Pro.

https://www.yakima.com/outdoorsman-300-compact

outdoorsman_3qtr_pdp_1.jpg

Just make sure the weight limit is ok with your RTT.

adventr

Adventurer
My advice is to find a local fabricator to build you one. It's easy to do if you have a tube bender and some time.

I designed and built this one on my old tacoma (back before Allpro came out with theirs..):

And designed this one for my old dodge truck (but ended up going with a utility bed):

Also took that bed rack design, modified it and updated it for our Sema build last year:

Maybe that will give you some ideas. Can go from mild to wild on a bed rack!

Also, not sure where you're at in Oklahoma, but we're just over in northwest Arkansas if you can't find a local shop to build you one.

Last edited:

taz223

ExplorationOutfitters.com
What year/model/bed size is your Dodge? We're in the middle of building one for our shop Ram 2500 short bed, and we're considering producing them for sale. Even if we don't produce them we can take care of building one for you. Here is a pic of the rack in progress, I'll post completed pics when its done. It'll have the full compliment of goodies once its done.

We're located about 7 miles west of Durant if you're familiar with the area.

12729355_801738329961049_574313738747454557_n.jpg

12592441_801738303294385_5368766583069944387_n.jpg

Excuse the mess in the shop. :)

Matt
Exploration Outfitters
Mead, OK

JJEH

Thank ya'll for the replies, I do appreciate it.

jgaz, I did contact All-Pro and perhaps we can work something out, not sure.

adventr, I like that Jeep rack very much. But I'm not sure if I can ever afford it though...

taz223, It's a 2003 Ram 1500 SLT QC with the 6.25' bed. Do you have an email address I can contact you directly?

taz223

ExplorationOutfitters.com
Absolutely. E-mail is matt@explorationoutfitters.com.

Thank ya'll for the replies, I do appreciate it.

jgaz, I did contact All-Pro and perhaps we can work something out, not sure.

adventr, I like that Jeep rack very much. But I'm not sure if I can ever afford it though...

taz223, It's a 2003 Ram 1500 SLT QC with the 6.25' bed. Do you have an email address I can contact you directly?

MarAgt

Observer
What year/model/bed size is your Dodge? We're in the middle of building one for our shop Ram 2500 short bed, and we're considering producing them for sale. Even if we don't produce them we can take care of building one for you. Here is a pic of the rack in progress, I'll post completed pics when its done. It'll have the full compliment of goodies once its done.

We're located about 7 miles west of Durant if you're familiar with the area.

View attachment 329814

View attachment 329815

Excuse the mess in the shop. :)

Matt
Exploration Outfitters
Mead, OK

Matt,

I would be interested in a Rack for my 2015 AEV Ram 2500. Based on what I've seen at the AEV Forum, a number of other owners would likely be interested as well. AEV keeps telling their AEV owners that they do not have any production racks in the works.

R/
Ken

TeamDoty

Cpt. TeamDoty
I'm "kit-bashing" a TracRac Trac One contractor rack + adding some 8020 extrusions, etc. for carrying bridging ladders, tools, storage boxes, etc. I plan on building a basket of sorts on top for gear using some old extension ladder parts or an ATV ramp or something... I'm raising it up a little on the bed sides so my MX bike can fit under it when I take it. I'm also thinking about putting some E-Track on it here and there for other load bearing needs. I'm a scrounger and "re-purposer"... can't afford a lot of the nicer custom built stuff. But, man... that rack on the Wrangler is AMAZING!!! Wow, hats off man!

MarAgt

Observer
From AEV Dave, post 43 here seems to indicate differently: http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?t=10483&page=5

I am a fan; have a 2015 RAM AEV Prospector and Love It! AEV makes good stuff, but they don't make fast stuff. He says "working on it" in that thread, but on many other occasions AEV Dave has been quick to say the rack on their trucks are one offs for SEMA. This one particular comment is the closest he's ever given to any work on actual production rack. He also says he's working on a skid plate for 2014+ vehicles, 17 x 10 wheels, extended fender flares for 40's, a Ram rear diff cover, a Ram rear bumper, lift kits for 2013 and earlier Rams, Locking Diffs, Pro-Cal for sale independent of the lift kit, etc, etc, etc...if you get my drift.

Bushwacker Inc.

Supporting Sponsor
I am a fan; have a 2015 RAM AEV Prospector and Love It! AEV makes good stuff, but they don't make fast stuff. He says "working on it" in that thread, but on many other occasions AEV Dave has been quick to say the rack on their trucks are one offs for SEMA. This one particular comment is the closest he's ever given to any work on actual production rack. He also says he's working on a skid plate for 2014+ vehicles, 17 x 10 wheels, extended fender flares for 40's, a Ram rear diff cover, a Ram rear bumper, lift kits for 2013 and earlier Rams, Locking Diffs, Pro-Cal for sale independent of the lift kit, etc, etc, etc...if you get my drift.

Not to sound like a shill, but we recently came out with our Max Coverage Fender Flares (including for Ram) if you're looking for such an accessory.

50921-02_v01_20151203.jpg

http://www.bushwacker.com/fender-fl...fender-flare-set-of-4-oe-matte-black-50921-02

- Andy

kb7our

Explorer

Your post rings so many bells with a number of vendors here - it's rather ironic. And yes, I definitely get it. Would love to see a Procal for the RAM without having to purchase a lift ( for TPMS, DRL, Tire Size, etc.) and a nice rack would be great - one that works with the Rambox. Probably working on it ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles