M1102 conversion to Expedition trailer

ShamusTX

Observer
Had to take a few months off from working on the trailer to do some home improvement projects. Since they have been completed I have been able to get back on the trailer and install the tent and power panel. I plan on using the trailer on a trip soon so this will help me figure out what I need to change.

Picture of tent stored inside trailer. I installed the tent this morning and will open up and take pics later.
IMG_4770.jpg

and installed
IMG_4778.jpg

Power panel has a 30A MPPT controller that is connected to 2 100W solar panels and a 100Ah AGM battery. I plan on making a batter box for the outside of the trailer but for now the battery is stored in the back of the trailer.
IMG_4771.jpg

IMG_4773.jpg

My next project is to do the gas struts for the doors. I have been going through a number of online calculators trying to determine the stroke and size needed for the doors. After doing some mock ups I found out that I need to modify the rear door area to fit the gas strut. As for the force of the strut I have decided to go with an option from a company in the UK called Camloc, they have distributors in the US. This company makes struts that are provided at their max force setting. Once installed the user can release pressure on the gas strut using the provided tool on a valve located on the strut.
http://www.camloc.com/products/vari‐lift/

Still need to do more research on the struts thou.

ShamusTX

Observer
Pics of the tent open. The tent currently sits about 6.5' off the ground. Able to stand under the extension area so it looks like an annex is in the future

IMG_4779.jpg

IMG_4781.jpg

IMG_4784.jpg

IMG_4786.jpg

ShamusTX

Observer
So I actually was able to use the trailer last weekend. The trailer has a ton of storage. I was helping to support a mountain bike race and need a lot of food for volunteers. I was able to fit a 3 large plastic totes, a number of boxes, 2 75Qt internal capacity coolers, a 100Qt internal capacity cooler and other misc things with room to spare.
IMG_4791.jpg

IMG_4792.JPG

IMG_4793.jpg

On the front I had two propane tanks and another 50Qt cooler
IMG_4804.jpg

IMG_4800.jpg

No to get my side tables built to give more cooking room. The tail gate works but not the best option.
IMG_4806.jpg

ShamusTX

Observer
Did a bunch of work on the doors to the trailer. Installed gas struts. The struts are from Camloc, their VARI-LIFT model. They have a 200mm stroke and an 8mm shaft. They arrive charged with max force, 650N. Once installed there is a valve with a 2mm allen key that can be open to release pressure.
see brass colored collar at the top of the strut below

IMG_4905.jpg

Basically the instructions indicated to add 10% of the doors weight at the farthest point from the doors hinge centered between the two struts. Then gradually release pressure from each strut until just before the door moves, or until the door sags ever so slightly. Remove the 10% weight and you have the door at or almost at the perfect pressure. The 10% weight is to prevent the struts from having too much pressure removed.

The two side doors had 4lbs of weight added, which was ~15% over and the rear door had 5lbs added which was ~13% over.

Now the doors close with a light force applied and open by themselves once started. I will do final adjust once they have been used as I know they are just slightly over pressured.

Rear door

IMG_4906.jpg

I also built two propane tank holders for the front of the trailer. Still need to add tie down hardware, anti-theft hardware and powder coat them.

IMG_4910.jpg

Finally, I finished up the rod holders for the top of the trailer. 3 of the 4 are installed in the pic below.

IMG_4904.jpg

ShamusTX

Observer
Worked on the tables that will mount to the trailer. In the pic below are the arms installed that will support the tables and can have a chuck box mounted above.
IMG_4943.jpg

The horizontal supports of the table
IMG_4945.jpg

Center Section inserted. This section will work on either the Left of Right side.
IMG_4946.jpg

Middle section slats installed
IMG_4947.jpg

One side completed
IMG_4949.jpg

The wood is simple cedar planks, stained and soaked in a water sealer.

ShamusTX

Observer
Finished up the two propane tank mounts. They are powder coated, just like the horizontal supports for the wood slats.
IMG_4951.jpg

One of them mounted with D-rings attached.
IMG_4952.jpg

Both sides done with a tank installed and trapped down.
IMG_4960.jpg

The D-Ring on the back of the mounts will be used to chain the tanks up to deter theft.
IMG_4961.jpg

I used Red loctite on the bolts.

Hummelator

Adventurer
I usually don't like the military roof top tent trailers but this is looking pretty good.
Are those all yeti coolers stored in the garage rafters?

ShamusTX

Observer
They are actually Bison coolers. Bison, like yeti, is a Texas based company. They are slightly cheaper then Yeti and a 50 quart bison cooler has a 50 quart internal capacity.

ShamusTX

Observer
Added a Fridge to the trailer and built a slide for it.

ShamusTX

Observer
Built a 180Ah LiFePO4 battery pack for the trailer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles