Fox vs King: 2.0 Remote Reservoir Coilovers - Durability & Performance Comparison

comptiger5000

Adventurer
Oh, totally.....but I can find you a shock that is the same price or cheaper that will out perform the bilstiens.

Quite possible. But for my application, I was length limited. I considered the Fox shocks, etc. but I wouldn't be able to fit them in the rear. The 10" travel short body 7100s are just short enough back there, anything more would be getting very close to "put the shocks through the floorpan" territory, so that kinda made the decision for me once I'd figured out what category of shocks I needed (and that even the nicer stock replacement types wouldn't give me what I needed).

155mm

Adventurer
I was pretty disappointed with my 9100s. The nickel plating is absolute garbage and it only took a single NY winter to turn the finish on my $1300 worth of shocks to rust. Bilstein basically told me to pound sand and that I need to wax and polish them to maintain the finish.

I won't even buy a set of 5100s for my new truck. Going to go straight to Fox 2.0 bolt ins.

Fox says waxing and polishing is necessary as well. Part of their recommended service: http://www.ridefox.com/service.php?m=truck&ref=topnavservice

Ben in Nevada

I have great results with my Bilstein. I have sets of 4600's on my road truck for about twenty years and they've always done a fine job for the low cost.

On my offroad vehicle, I would use a minimum of a revalvable shock. That's a 7100. These are comparable to the lower-end Fox 2.0 (not the higher-end coilovers reviewed in the OP). The 7100's are a great value in a light duty shock. They work great for moderate speed dirt road work that will not see high compression damping. I continue to use 7100 short-bodies for the rear because of limited clearance. I've worked out the valving on them myself, which is quite easy to do.

The 9100's are very good indeed for a lightweight overland and trail rig. I've had no trouble with the finish or rust for about three or four years now. I do not wax or polish, but recommend doing what's necessary for the environment they're used in. These are 60mm shocks, and I would compare them more favorably to Fox and King 2.0's. They are closer to the category of 2.5" shocks. I couldn't say they're better than Fox or King since I haven't used those. I imagine they'd be on the lower end of the 2.5" category, more like the King Performance series rather than the Pure Race, but the prices easily reflect that. They're prices are about 20% lower than the other brands.

WSS

Rock Stacker
I put a set of fox 2.0's on the front of my CJ5. Rally made a difference over the rancho 9000's. I did redo the mounts to give more travel and articulation however, so it may not be a fair comparison.

Silverhorse

Adventurer
TRD I have a 2013 chevy express 3500(diesel) I plan to SAS it with a 07-09' dana 60 from a F250/350.. My plan was to use the stock ford coils and radius arms.. Someone suggested I use King or Fox emulsion coilovers, I have no experience with coilovers at all.... This is a tow rig so minimal lift and stability are the main goals.. What is your opinion on this?

thanks, Bill

*TRD*

Observer
TRD I have a 2013 chevy express 3500(diesel) I plan to SAS it with a 07-09' dana 60 from a F250/350.. My plan was to use the stock ford coils and radius arms.. Someone suggested I use King or Fox emulsion coilovers, I have no experience with coilovers at all.... This is a tow rig so minimal lift and stability are the main goals.. What is your opinion on this?

thanks, Bill

Hi Bill,

You are going to want remote reservoir coilovers. Every shock is a bit like an air shock, as the shaft goes in the pressure increases inside. With emulsion shocks the initial air volume is small so the pressure ramps up quickly. With a remote reservoir the initial air volume is large so the pressure increases slowly. The lower pressure in a remote reservoir shock improves ride quality and durability by reducing seal friction.

Another thing that is important is to not get carried away with having crazy amounts of travel. With coilovers you want to have some preload on the springs. So longer shocks get lower spring rates. Lower spring rate also means lower rebound damping. So longer shocks really start to reduce your roll stability and handling. I wrote an article about coilover selection for handling, and it seems like it's just what you're looking for. You probably want to be in the 10" travel range, MAYBE a 12" if you really want to push the limits.

Feel free to call, text, or email if you have any questions.

Just realized I wasn't subscribed to this thread, will respond more quickly now.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I wonder if fox are going to put float technology on on/off road vehicles.....that would be interesting...I loved them on my sleds/

Kingsize24

Very interesting article. Just the o-ring difference in and of itself is significant. Buna rings are extremely cheap. Viton is what we use in the oilfield for all our equipment in every hydraulic application. Buna wouldn't even be considered. Fox ****** in this shock comparison.

Thank you for the comparisons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior