Miller315's multipurpose trailer

Miller315

Observer
Hi all. I have been following EP for a few years now, and( just like many) I have earned a lot, and gained great ideas. I have posted a few times on hear, mostly questions or looking for suggestions. Well I finally decided to start a build thread.
First off, this is not much of a real rugged, off road trailer. As the title says this is a multi purpose trailer. I bought this from my dad 10 years ago for $500. He had it for about 10 years before that. It has been, and still is, used for everything. It hauls fire wood, garbage, brush, grass clippings, furniture, you name it. I have also used it for hunting trips for many many years. It's not until recently that I realized the potential for this trailer. Over the last year or so I have incorporated the trailer into hunting camp more vs just being the gear hauler. I used to fill it up, haul to where ever we were hunting, unload it then push it off to the side. I added a makeshift table to the side, with a sink, then added my Yakima Outdoorsman racks to carry more stuff.
image.jpg

When we hunt its usually on NF land, somewhere off the beaten path, and a decent drive from the nearest city of any size. Me and one of my hunting partners each have different outfitters tents for 3+ people each. It's not really roughing it by any means. Nice cots, good sleeping bags, wood stoves, carpet, etc. Even raining, snowing, and 0 degree weather, we live pretty comfortably?
image.jpg

So this is an 8'x5' deck. It is an angle iron frame, but seems to be pretty strong. Not 100% sure but I believe my dad said the axle was a 3500#, non brake axle.
My dad had added some wood sides that lasted quite a while. As time went on I added some things here and there. Usually it was just some idea I would get from here then try to add it, shabbily most of the time. After this last hunting season I decided it was time to do a make over.
First I stripped the trailer of everything down to frame. Then I sand blasted it. Then came the fun. First off I am by no means a welder. My dad has a 110v Lincoln Welder, no gas. I do what I can, and a grinder is my best friend. My first move was to flip the axle under the springs.
image.jpg

I decided to use Unistrut for the new side frames. It seems to be strong, and let me have the ability to add different things. I bought some 2x2 square tubing to use as stake pockets. I cut them to 4" and welded them to the sides. Then I used the Unistrut for side frames. This took my quite a while being a pure beginner.
image.jpg

Then it all got painted. I then added 1/2" plywood sides.
image.jpg

As you can see in the pics, I added my Yakima racks, or at least one of them. I made a removable rack stand with Unistrut in the front. I did this because I'm thinking I may use a truck tool box for lockable storage and wanted it towards the front.
Almost done to the point of usable, but never finished. I have some tailgate clamps coming this week. I need to finish up the cables that the table hangs from. I have a 15 gallon water tank and 12v rv pump to incorporate, as well as 2 deep cycle batteries. I have a turkey hunt coming up in April, so I am trying to get it ready by then.
Anyway here are a couple current stage pics.
image.jpg

image.jpg

I am by no way a pro, or an extreme off roader. This is being built for multiple purposes, and to make life easier out in the woods. Any comments or suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 24

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
I use a ton of Unistrut for work and it does seem to be a simple way to fabricate a trailer. Don't like a part? Just unbolt it and try a different style. It does what you need it to do, what more can you ask for?

Miller315

Observer
I use a ton of Unistrut for work and it does seem to be a simple way to fabricate a trailer. Don't like a part? Just unbolt it and try a different style. It does what you need it to do, what more can you ask for?

Yes, exactly why I went with it. I originally tried to find the square metal tubes with holes on all sides, similar to what they use with street signs. I couldn't find any locally, but the Unistrut I can, and accomplishes what I want or need so far.

Miller315

Observer
I finished hanging the table today.
image.jpg
image.jpg

As you can see, I put on the other Yakima rack. My plan of adding a truck tool box is on hold for a bit. This is not a real expensive project, but it's definitatley adding up. So I decided to use what I have. By putting the other rack on, I have a piece of 3/4" plywood that I have been using that has notches cut to fit with the rack to create a flat space for whatever.

The table is on hinges. When I don't need it it will come off. When it's time to use it, I can install it and fold it up for driving. Quick and easy deployment.
image.jpg

It sits kind of high, but that is for a purpose. You can see here I have a tool box that I have used as a mini chuck box of sorts. I riveted a thin piece of wood to the inside of the lid. Added some rubber stops to the back, and pack it full of utensils, silverware, fast food packets of condiments, spices, some aluminum foil, and I have just about all I need.
image.jpg

Now the way it sits the lid flops over the top and works well for my needs.

Miller315

Observer
I got the spare mounted today. It's not in the previous pics, but it was mounted flat on the tongue. I have hopes of putting a box up there, and I just didn't like it there in general. So using Unistrut, I made a mount on the driver side. It's not fancy, but it works.
image.jpg

I welded a little tab to take some of the weight,,just in case.
image.jpg

Eventually I would like to get some different tires. The nice thing is, with the Unistrut, is I can adjust the height as needed to sit on the tab.

Miller315

Observer
Got a little done today. As I said before this is a multipurpose trailer, so pretty much everything needed to be modular, or removable. I turned an old storage box into a battery box and pump housing. I had made a single battery power box last year, which worked well, but ran out of juice after a few days. So I moved to a bigger box, big enough to hold 2 batteries. I will be using my 2 boat batteries for this since it sits in the garage except for the summer.
In the bigger box I mounted the 2 batteries and water pump. I then made a power tether of sorts and ran that to my smaller box. In the small box I have a fused power block and ground block. I did a little cutting here and there and made a nice little control box. It has 2 individually powered 12 volt power plugs and 2 used led lights on the outside. Under a all weather electrical cover is 2 switches( one for pump one for lights) and the business end of a 400 watt inverter.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I then put it all in the trailer, along with my water tank, to see how it will fit. You can see the shelf I added to the top. That is where the control box will sit.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Tomorrow will be some fine tuning and testing on the water system.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Miller315

Observer
Finally got it out of garage and took a test drive. I went about 5 miles away to weigh it. Had a small issue enroute. Hiway 101 by me has had some problems with too much water resulting in a rough road. Anyway, on my out I think the combination of 50 mph and some bumps caused the table clips to break, and drop the table. Luckily there was no traffic near me, so I could just pull over and tie it up for the rest of the trip. I have stopped and got some better snap clips now, and will secure it much better.
With just the sides and empty tongue box it weighed 980#. Little lighter than with the old sides.
Here it is finally getting some drive time.
image.jpg

Miller315

Observer
Been working on the trailer a little here and there. Baseball season is here and taking a lot of my spare time. Still have some things to finish up before its maiden voyage next month for turkey hunting.
I have always put a tarp over and then bungee spider strapped it down. I wanted to try something different, so I bought a tarp a little bigger than the trailer and stalled some snaps to hold it down. Not done yet, but here is a couple midway pics.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Miller315

Observer
Well it's been a year, not really sure if anyone remembers this thread. An update to the trailer I rebuilt last year. It's been on a couple hunting trips and has worked out well. Biggest problem found was not the trailer but finding a good cover/tarp system. Been using pop up tents, and when it really starts to rain, those don't hold up well.
Trailer still pulls well, Andy with increased height definitely handles off road better. I am thinking I want to install one of those folding tongue wheel jacks like on boats.
As far as the Unistrut, couldn't be happier. I bought a whole bunch of the spring bolts that fit inside. I have been able to add or move as I need/ want. I found a pair of used plastic truck wheel well storage boxes, at a garage sale. $10 for the pair. Mounted on the side and make a great lockable storage for little things that I can get to without having to dig into trailer.
IMG_2552.jpg
For power and water I made some improvements. A new big box store moved into our town recently.( not sure if I can mention names) and they had a15 gallon water tank with 12v pump for a decent price. For the power distribution box I found a smaller plastic box that works good, and I added a 3' tether. Added some 12v outlets, and an led light. Stilll have 2 Optima blue tops in the battery box. Lasted all week charging phones, running pump, and a couple lights with no problem.
IMG_2553.jpg
Here it is is action.
IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior