Feel even better about my ole 2003 F150 screw now.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Well, today at the local Canadian tire store, I parked the ole girl next to a new rebel (sweet truck). I was happy to see that my truck was just as high, had as much ground clearance and what not as the rebel, on full lift. Since I am running 33's...with no lift on my end, I am super happy. Plus, I saved 50g with the 2003...ha ha ha. I can't wait to take it up in the bush camping and hunting. Just have to add some lighting, power ports out back for the cooler, Monroe reflex shocks, and wheels to give a wider track. Also adding a hidden winch in the front behind the bumper.

p nut

butter
The reasons why most modern trucks are lower is for MPG. Mine has that plastic aero piece under the front bumper which is supposed to help increase mileage... Don't know how effective it is, but I'm at 24MPG highway, so no complaints from me! I also fit 33's stock height in my '15. :D

But there is the charm of older vehicles that are just as capable as new ones. I bet your F150 can go a lot of places! Rebels look good, but too much sparkles and light show for me. Loud graphics, akin to the PW, but no real off-road prowess other than a stock lift and tires.

Dalko43

Explorer
Yeah, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Rebel essentially the same Ram 1500 platfrom, with the same Hemi V8 and some mild trim/appearance mods?

I don't get why people hype up these "special editions."

bdp1978

Adventurer
Yeah, but in 13 years the Rebel will be parked next to another truck and that guy will be saying....I saved $80g's buying this 13yr old truck!! Its all relative.

Curious, how do you know the Rebel was in full lift mode? It has 3 settings on the air suspension. I considered a Rebel but cannot stand the interior..or the huge RAM emblems. That and it is more cost effective to just do bilsteins etc on the '14 Ram I have now. I absolutely love my Ram though.....395hp.....18mpg in stop and go traffic and 22hwy....and rides like a car with the coil suspension.

kojackJKU

Because I asked the owner to crank it up. Lucked out that he was coming out at the same time I was. I was pleasantly surprised. I would run something other than bilstiens. You will be much happier. The rebel is higher than normal with it's air suspension settings. I find all trucks these days in the 1/2 ton area so low, and car like. At least my ole beast is high, and feels like a truck should. I am thinking about adding some hellwig gear and a truck camper to is as well.

p nut

butter
Yeah, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Rebel essentially the same Ram 1500 platfrom, with the same Hemi V8 and some mild trim/appearance mods?

I don't get why people hype up these "special editions."

Yes, pretty much. I hate the tire tread seats, red interior trim (I hate the new PW went this route as well), and big RAM on the tailgate (I don't mind the front grill, though), (OPTIONAL) Limited slip. Factory locker (at least rear) and a winch would have gone a long way on this truck. At least back up some of the big Bark.

kojackJKU

Yep. They are taller than the normal rams tho. Plus, if you goto home depot buy some square plastic stock for like two dollars, you can cheat the air suspension to giving 3" of lift and fit 35s. Neat trick. But the Off road selection is too stiff to be useable then.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I personally like that body style in the 4-door, I used to know a guy who would tow his early Bronco all over Utah and neighboring states behind his 2002 4-door. I could easily pass him with my diesel while towing the Jeep, but he never had any real issues with his f150 other than being a bit underpowered. The hardest thing is finding a 4-door for sale that is in decent condition, I have looked from time to time without much luck.

Marine

Adventurer
Well, today at the local Canadian tire store, I parked the ole girl next to a new rebel (sweet truck). I was happy to see that my truck was just as high, had as much ground clearance and what not as the rebel, on full lift. Since I am running 33's...with no lift on my end, I am super happy. Plus, I saved 50g with the 2003...ha ha ha. I can't wait to take it up in the bush camping and hunting. Just have to add some lighting, power ports out back for the cooler, Monroe reflex shocks, and wheels to give a wider track. Also adding a hidden winch in the front behind the bumper.

Amen. I know how you feel. I love my 03 dodge, nothing to look at but it gets me there. I have a hunting buddy who has all the Gucci kit. To each there own but when your truck payment is the same as my house payment. Well no thanks. What part of Canada you hail from. I have family in soo Ontario, and Alberta

kojackJKU

The only thing I worry about is hitting moose. But having nice bright HID lights mounted on the front negates that fear. I got hit head on in December 1999 in a 96 F150 while towing my Snowmobile to the cabin. It hurt. But i was unscathed. The people in the Hyundai elantra that hit me, after driving way to fast for the slippery/slushy conditions were not so lucky. I think safty has more to do with what the vehicle is made out of than so called features. the Hyundai was like a tin can, the F150 was made out of metal. The impact drove the chasis through the rear bumper of my truck where I had the sled trailer attached.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Surprisingly the same vintage Expedition (1st gen) does much better than the same era (10th gen) F150. 4-5 stars across the board.

That's why I have an Expedition and not a Screw (well, that and wheelbase).

I'm not certain the test parameters in 2001 are as strict as 2015 so it might not be an apples to apples comparison. Crash test footage looks good though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94