Death Valley Overlanding

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Funny, I just googled Death Valley Overlanding again and found this thread again. I'm not good at keeping track of my own stuff.

Anyway: The trip last year was awesome! We had 2 3rd gen 4Runners, 3 kids, 2 dogs and 4 adults. We went to Titus, Ubehebe, Racetrack, Lippencott, Saline Hot Springs, Steele Pass and Eureka Dune.

If you're interested, I made a 3-part video series of the trip and you can find that here on YouTube.

We are in the early planning stages of another Death Valley Adventure for this spring, possibly president's day weekend. Any suggestions on things we missed that we should hit this time?

What's your favorite off-the-grid camping spot or destination in Death Valley?

-Mike

Mike, great videos!
I recommend Cottonwood Canyon (north of Stovepipe Wells) which is scenic, a little like Titus, but ends in lush greenery with birds, and the Charcoal kilns (nice camping up in the pines), and Defense Mine / Lookout City in Panamint Valley (technical trails), and maybe

Deep in Cottonwood Canyon
DV-Cottonwood-09-XL.jpg

Charcoal kilns
IMG_3405-1682x1152.jpg

I did a run like that with my son about 10 years ago. Photos are here:
https://nwoods.smugmug.com/Destinations/National-Parks/DeathValley-PreRun-for-RR7/

Abitibi

Explorer
Glad I just found this post as we are heading out in a week from BC to Vegas area. I've never been to death valley so obviously very curious about it, great to get all of your inputs. I'll be taking my ambo which is 4x4 and usually quite capable but some of those trails (Lippincott pass?) might be too tight for our full size vehicle. Suggestions?

We have 2 weeks to drive from Vancouver BC to Vegas and back. We'll probably rush the 1st day as it's easy enough to visit on any given day then slow down on the following 2 or 3 days. We'll hit the strip for a few shows then play around the area. Gotta plan a few days around Zion as my wife has never been before plus the kids will enjoy.

Anyway, any other pointers will be appreciated!

Stryder106

Explorer
We've done Death Valley base camping - but will be going in a few weeks for our first overlanding trip there. Was planning a route that included Mengel, Lippincott, and Steel Pass, but I was hesitant with my Avalanche on Lippincott. However, one of our group can now make the trip, but he has a Raptor - so now I'm replanning the routes as I do not want to chance that truck on Lippincott or Steel Pass given its wide width.
//
DV has both easily reached spots (Salt Creek, 20 Mule Team, Zubriski Pt, Mosaic Canyon, Artist Pallet, Devil's Golf Course, Bad Water, etc) that are literally right on or off the road. Race Track and Grandstand are down a long stretch of the worst washboard in Death Valley, if not North America (it's actually what got me modifying my Avalanche). Then there's more remote stuff to get to. Bring PLENTY of water and fill up every time you see a gas station because there are only a few: Beatty, Furnace Creek, Stove Pipe Wells, and Panamint Springs.
//
Prepare for wind. Last time we were there (Spring 2014) winds were 50-80mph the entire time.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
A Raptor would have no trouble on Lippencott at all. It's not that narrow! If you are a long, long truck, its a PIA, but H1's can handle Lippencott just fine, and they are about the widest thing on the road.

Same for Steele Pass

Stryder106

Explorer
A Raptor would have no trouble on Lippencott at all. It's not that narrow! If you are a long, long truck, its a PIA, but H1's can handle Lippencott just fine, and they are about the widest thing on the road.

Same for Steele Pass

really? That would be awesome if that's the case. The videos I've seen make Steel Pass look REALLY tight and Lippincott look REALLY narrow.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader

Same for Steele Pass

Maybe I'm crazy, but when I ran it in October our 200 series scraped through one portion of lippencott by the hair of its chinny chin chin. The time before it had been fine, but rains had washed out a decent chunk and the wheels were probably inches from the edge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles