Freelander Trailer conversion

roverpat

Observer
Anyone done or attempted this? I have gotten this vehicle as a result of PO not wanting to put engine in it. So far I have gutted interior and removed driveline. Plan is to cut at a-pillar and firewall and use as a trailer to haul of my camping gear and tow with disco 2.
9904db454d90cecc26de0c0a3bb6ec28.jpg

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

roverpat

Observer
Thanks guys. Being done on a budget. Happen to have an LR2 fuse block with relays and fuses and fusible links so I have power for whatever. Also have a 13 pin trailer harnes coming from the UK so all lights will work and constant 12v will be supplied to onboard batteries while connected to the D2

roverpat

Observer
95 percent of all freelanders produced are still on the road. The other 5 percent actually made it home

rokrawlr

Observer
There is a guy in the expedition trailer section who is detailing his build of a trailer from a GMC Jimmy, might be worth checking out for potential hiccups.

roverpat

Observer
I plan to cut at firewall/a-pillar to cut down on fabrication. Water tank will go under behind rear axle to minimize tongue weight and offset batteries and controller which will be located on firewall. 2 blue tops with chargers. Will be bracing roof to accept an RTT. Just for the fun factor the wipers and power windows will stay working.

A.J.M

Explorer
This has been done a few times.
Both with 3 and 5 door models.

Check google images for some of the pictures, it may take you to a build thread.

Bigplum

Observer
It's going to be very heavy on the hitch with axle so far back and a heavy trailer for its size , a cut at the B pillar would make it a lot easier to manage

roverpat

Observer
I have thought about that fact. At the moment i plan to put all of my heavy gear over the rear axle and the water tank behind it to keep tongue weight low. I will put the lighter gear uo front. In all honesty i cant afford the additional fabrication costs to cut at bpillar. It may happen in the future

djaraceandrally

Adventuring somewhere...
Crazy as it may seem, I have soft spot for these. I had a major crash in early 2000 where I was forced off the road by a lorry who came into my lane before fully passing me. I went off the motorway and flew off the embankment, end over end several times. Not a straight panel on it and the trunk area was flat to the back seat. The strengthening cage did its job and I lived. The police said I shouldn't have made. It was 7 weeks old at the time I destroyed it, I ordered my replacement one whilst still in my hospital bed (in a brighter colour!)

They are much ridiculed over here but I think of all the soft roaders I see now (Nissan juke, x1, q1,q3 and the like), they are so popular at the moment, the freelander did it first, 19 years ago. Ok, no low box and plastic four wheel drive but they could excel on wet fields and in icey conditions. Far more likely scenarios that most will take them.

So the trailer to me is a great idea, It's good to see at least half of one on the road (the better half if you had the 1.8k series engine version tbh!!)

Keep up the good work, there v cheap over here now and it's set my mind thinking about it. Look forward to following the build.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles