Xterra rear axle swap for a Frontier Locker Dana 44

sailorcolin

Observer
I recently aquired a 2005 Frontier 4x2 M226 Locked axle. Going to modify it to fit my 2007 Xterra S 4x4.

First of all, It should be geared at 3.13 from my research and door codes and will confirm tonight. Also the discussion on this matter is here.

I know it needs a new axle seal on the driver side, so I am sourcing parts to replace that. Link here

From there, here is my "To Do" list in prep for getting it installed.
  1. Check that locker works DONE, Works
  2. Check Ratio - Needs to be 3.13 DONE, Confirmed
  3. Change gear oil
  4. Change Axle seal and bearing DONE
  5. Fab and flip Spring Perches DONE
  6. Fab Brake line bracketDONE
  7. Attach brake linesDONE
  8. Attach brakesDONE
  9. Attach absDONE
  10. Bleed BrakesDONE
  11. Attach drive shaftDONE
  12. Wire locker including indicator lightDONE
  13. Figure out Parking BrakeDONE

Last edited:

sailorcolin

Observer
The axle in the back of the Xterra.
m226.png

Last edited:

docwatson

Adventurer
Nice find. I was reading the thread on your first link thinking "why not just go spring over?" and then I got to pages 4 and 5. haha.

jhberria

Adventurer
Interesting project! Good form in picking out the M226 with the 3.13 gear ratio. Can't be too many of those floating around.

sailorcolin

Observer
Only came on the 4x2 Frontier 4.0 AT Off Road Package. So im guessing not too many people bought a 4x2 frontier and then wanted the off road package.... From what I have found they only offered that package for a few years as an option.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
3.13 with locker, you did find the unicorn.

it should have the correct 6-bolt flange for the CV style driveshaft of the Xterra.
The bummer of the 05-late07 locking axles is they are the 2-spider gear version. Very late '07 (early '08 part release) got an improved 4 gear version that is a lot stronger.
Getting the correct spring mounts should be easy enough. They are available aftermarket in generic form. 99% sure you can just abandon the frontier spring mounts and save yourself the effort cutting them off.

RLM975

Wannabe Oberlander
Unless you plan on lifting your front, then put it in as a spring over. I converted my SUA to SOA.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Look for a Frontier lowering kit (axle flip kit). Might be easier to find one of those then to try and building stuff yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94