DSC05690.jpg

DSC_0869.jpg

DSC05770-e1455780176791.jpg

DSC_0857.jpg

DSC05451.jpg

DSC_0077-e1455780151395.jpg

TacomaAustin

Observer
As others have said, I like having the rear overhang - which acts as an awning over the tailgate. If the weight as advertised is under 400 lbs, that is an impressive accomplishment.

I still like to buck up and down on under maintained dirt roads that jiggle, jiggle, bump everything I've stored in the bed of the truck. With regards to weight, I've been going back and forth over whether or not strap a 700 lb plus FWC on the back of my Tacoma - which with the Finch and Eagle now having been dropped from their line-up are rather bulky as well.

I also like the vestibule design over each side window of the tent. - To me, it's a nice well thought out touch.

Last edited:

Keyne

Adventurer
I like the roof bars on the habitat as well. With the rear deployed it could be very easy to setup a gravity feed water system for use above a tailgate kitchen. Add the optional canvas room and maybe a side awning and this setup is pretty killer IMO. Starting to plan out my Goose Gear style interior now... LOL.

Another advantage of opening to the rear is if you setup a toilet (or bucket) toward the front of the vehicle it is now no longer in the path to access the bed. This way there is now more privacy to the forward end of the camper because it is not part of the flow to the bed.

Last edited:

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Very nice work, great way to improve on the Flip Pac idea! Love the aluminium construction, and that is opens to the rear of the vehicle, it must make better use of the space when set up I'd imagine.

Ultralite

Adventurer
Is there a torsion bar in this design? There was a "rumor thread" before the announcement and I thought I saw someone say there is no torsion bar. A weakness on the flip forward model.

DVexile

Adventurer
Is there a torsion bar in this design? There was a "rumor thread" before the announcement and I thought I saw someone say there is no torsion bar. A weakness on the flip forward model.

No torsion bar, there are fairly standard pneumatic struts on the rear to assist in opening/closing (essentially oversized versions of the little struts that help open/close a hood, screen door or the rear flip up door on a shell. They are mounted externally and you can see them at the rear of the shell. In the picture of the photographer standing on the roof the strut is right below his feet.

Ultralite

Adventurer
No torsion bar, there are fairly standard pneumatic struts on the rear to assist in opening/closing (essentially oversized versions of the little struts that help open/close a hood, screen door or the rear flip up door on a shell. They are mounted externally and you can see them at the rear of the shell. In the picture of the photographer standing on the roof the strut is right below his feet.

So a point of failure eliminated, that's great. Man, with Alu-Cab moving into the US market it's a great time for the adventuring community.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
With base weight at 340 pounds, what would a fully optioned model weigh?

The one in the pictures with front slider glass, interior lighting, power ports, full carpet kit and roof bars came in at 363 lbs. Side windoors and a rear window are about 20 lbs each. A maxed out unit might weigh in about 400 lbs total.

austintaco

Explorer
Priced correctly, could this be the end of the Flippac? How many Flippacs does FRP sell? If this unit is priced correctly, how could or would anyone want a Flippac over this? Don't get me wrong. I love our Flippac, and I like the footprint of the truck being the footprint of camp if need be, but the failures of the torsion bars,etc...looms over me.
From what I am seeing, this will be the only way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles