AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
^^^^^^^^^^^ this.

Toyotas have a good amount of give here and there. One of the reasons why the frame is a C channel is for additional flex when crawling. Looks like crap compared to Ford, Chevy, and Dodge on that full size truck test track, but on the trail it's a different story.

And if you build for LT, you're going to cut off the the entire rear frame, cage it up, 3 Link, and replace the axle.... soooo. It's fine.

I think a lot of people are nitpicking because it's their first truck and they haven't been on a lot of trails so they don't know that they have to deal with things moving, bending, breaking, much less getting pinstripes on their paint.

In 10 years when your truck hasn't completely fallen apart through year after year of trails will y'all really appreciate the build quality of everything.

Personal opinion here;

The Tacoma chassis is a real noodle. If you have a single pivot rear swing away and you open it the chassis will move 2-3". It was a real problem when we were working with FlipPacs as you couldn't latch the lid with the swing away out.

Combine that with a very weak stock rear suspension that can not cope with much of a load and you have a limited use vehicle. Unless of course you upgrade the suspension or add air bags.

These were all considerations when we developed the Habitat as we wanted a camper shell that would work with a stock Tacoma as well as a modified Tacoma. So while I agree the chassis flex on the Tacoma may be good for crawling it's not ideal for " Overlanding" or "Outdoor" use.

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
Personal opinion here;

The Tacoma chassis is a real noodle. If you have a single pivot rear swing away and you open it the chassis will move 2-3". It was a real problem when we were working with FlipPacs as you couldn't latch the lid with the swing away out.

Combine that with a very weak stock rear suspension that can not cope with much of a load and you have a limited use vehicle. Unless of course you upgrade the suspension or add air bags.

These were all considerations when we developed the Habitat as we wanted a camper shell that would work with a stock Tacoma as well as a modified Tacoma. So while I agree the chassis flex on the Tacoma may be good for crawling it's not ideal for " Overlanding" or "Outdoor" use.

This is very true, the first time I tried using my flippac I couldn't get it to close and it took a while before I realized it was because my swingout was open, no amount of bed stiffiners will fix that our chassis are like you say noodles.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Can anyone provide some instructions/tips on mounting maxtrax to the side of a habitat?
The MaxTrax holding pin bolts are long enough to go through the sides, we put SS fender washers on each side of the thread and use a nylock nut. Put Type II silicone in the holes to provide sealing against weather.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

frstnflt

Just ordered for Tacoma DCSB! psyched. The FWC was everything it was supposed to be but even with airbags made for a lumbering driver(got rid of the ram 1500 and Hawk).
1. Also ordered goose gear's nifty folding benches. Does anyone have experience with those yet? Good or is there something better?
2. My dealer is over 4 hours away. Anything else I should get or have done before or during installation?
3. Was also thinking a bedrug full carpet bedliner would make it cozy in there. any thoughts?
4. Not sure what to do for heat. Buddy heater in my FWC was a soggy experience and dont want a propane tank hanging off the back.
Also ordered a folding sleeping platform.
Appreciate any input

chet6.7

Explorer
4. Not sure what to do for heat. Buddy heater in my FWC was a soggy experience and dont want a propane tank hanging off the back.

Appreciate any input
I read a post today about the gas version of the Espar,maybe the van @ -40 thread.It is expensive,but so is your new camper.Good luck,looking forward to the pictures.

Martyn

Just ordered for Tacoma DCSB! psyched. The FWC was everything it was supposed to be but even with airbags made for a lumbering driver(got rid of the ram 1500 and Hawk).
1. Also ordered goose gear's nifty folding benches. Does anyone have experience with those yet? Good or is there something better?
2. My dealer is over 4 hours away. Anything else I should get or have done before or during installation?
3. Was also thinking a bedrug full carpet bedliner would make it cozy in there. any thoughts?
Also ordered a folding sleeping platform.
Appreciate any input

The Propex heater is a very good choice. We have units that fit inside the camper (about the size of a shoe box), and sealed units that can fit under the floor tucked up next to the chassis.

breakfasttaco

The Propex heater is a very good choice. We have units that fit inside the camper (about the size of a shoe box), and sealed units that can fit under the floor tucked up next to the chassis.

Can you give a bit more detail on how Propex heater setup with the Habitat?

Been using a Mr. Buddy at night this winter which is fine for most things in California...but I'd like to start camping out in ski area parking lots in the future and will need something toastier

Martyn

Can you give a bit more detail on how Propex heater setup with the Habitat?

Been using a Mr. Buddy at night this winter which is fine for most things in California...but I'd like to start camping out in ski area parking lots in the future and will need something toastier

The heater is roughly the size of a shoe box, we can fit it into a cabinet or under a slide, or just bolted to the floor (we can put a protective cover over it if it's just mounted to the floor). The air out put and return is direct from the inside of the Habitat, the exhaust and air intake for combustion comes from under the vehicle. We run a propane line to the exterior and cap it with a fast disconnect fitting.

We also have units that are sealed and fit under the bed. It sdaves some room but you have to cut some 3" holes into the bed for hot air output and cold air return.

Graton

The heater is roughly the size of a shoe box, we can fit it into a cabinet or under a slide, or just bolted to the floor (we can put a protective cover over it if it's just mounted to the floor). The air out put and return is direct from the inside of the Habitat, the exhaust and air intake for combustion comes from under the vehicle. We run a propane line to the exterior and cap it with a fast disconnect fitting.

We also have units that are sealed and fit under the bed. It sdaves some room but you have to cut some 3" holes into the bed for hot air output and cold air return.

In either case, you have to cut holes into the bed - but in the former the holes are under the heater? I love my Habitat and thought about the heater, but didn't really want something fixed in the truck bed. But after a few really cold nights in Anza Borrego in December, I'm rethinking my needs. I saw that you have a portable unit - looks like Propex in a box, but wondering how easy that would be vent into the Habitat.

Martyn

In either case, you have to cut holes into the bed - but in the former the holes are under the heater? I love my Habitat and thought about the heater, but didn't really want something fixed in the truck bed. But after a few really cold nights in Anza Borrego in December, I'm rethinking my needs. I saw that you have a portable unit - looks like Propex in a box, but wondering how easy that would be vent into the Habitat.

Similar issues with the portable, you need to get at least one 3” hose into the Habitat, two if you want to recirculate the air through the heater. Potential paths could be via the side doors on the tent, or through a window in the side of the Habitat using a template with one or two holes for the vents.

If the Propex is fitted inside the Habitat you are looking at two one inch holes for the air intake and exhaust and a 3/16 hole for the propane line. The heater is small and could occupy one of the corners or where ever there is clearance to run the pipes. It's very do able and inconspicuous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles