AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

james_az

James, where are the puddles forming to be exact? We're happy to get it sorted out for you.
Sorry for the delay in reply. Is rare I end up in rain, been mostly in AZ with the habitat, had a trip planned to the Pacific NW but ended up aborting as the apocalypse set in. So just the one trip where we got soaked.

The poles at the end of the tent create little troughs(red arrows below), as the tent soaks (multiple days of rain) little puddles form and it starts to drip on the inside.
I was thinking of maybe shortening the poles a bit, my poles on the inside are running under the end seam and not above it.
1590872836645.png

Last edited:

kklasman

Does anyone in New England have an AT Habitat I could look at? Might even want to rent the truck and Habitat for a weekend if something could be worked out. I'm in southern NH.

Graton

Does anyone in New England have an AT Habitat I could look at? Might even want to rent the truck and Habitat for a weekend if something could be worked out. I'm in southern NH.

I have one in Western Massachusetts, may be too far, but I was thinking of going up to Sig Academy in mid to late June. How far are you from Epping, NH?

Graton

Close enough. I'm in Nashua. I'd love to work out a meeting. Got any pics in the meantime?

I've been thinking of selling since we moved back east - looking into getting something I can more easily heat (that's a propex heater on top, when we were camping in Anza Borrego in the winter to keep the old corgi warm).

IMG_1513.jpg

Graton

Your Taco is a long bed, right? Mine's a short bed.
Yes, access cab with 6 foot bed. Thinking of getting an Alu-Cab, but I do love the room in Habitat. Also thinking of 4wd Sprinter, but need to get out in the habitat, haven’t camped in a while.

SLO_California

Are any of you habitat owners tall? I'm curious about the space under the awning. I haven't seen one in person yet, but like what I've seen and read. I would like to be able to cook, work, and hang out under the awning. At the very least, I just need to not hit my head, but I would like a bit of clearance so it doesn't feel too cramped. (I've read a bunch of this thread and appreciated the info shared and done some basic web searching but haven't found anything on this)

I'm about 6'3" and would plan to put on 2nd or 3rd gen Tacoma with ~2" lift and ~33" tires.

I've estimated the clearance underneath at 76 3/4 inches. (70.6" Tacoma roof height spec + 2" lift + 1.25" tire radius increase + about 3" clearance over roof guessed from photos). Has anyone measured this with a similar setup?

Any experiences or subjective guesses welcome. Thanks!

SBDuller

I'm not as tall as you. I have scraped the lid at times. I try to site the truck so there is a downslope. You definitely need a stiff spring to prevent rear sag. You can carry 'maxtrax' type objects to drive onto. I occasionally use short 2x6 plank pieces to park on. under no circumstance would I ever place a rack top side. Most of the time I can cook on my swing gate drop down table, but sometimes not enough comfortable vertical space. variations in sites, go with the flow. I can always sit under the lid, I can always crawl over the dropped tailgate, but on occasion I can not stand comfortably under the lid.

SBDuller

Thanks! Can you share your height and vehicle set up (just for height)?
OK. I've been shrinking a bit, I'm previously six foot. I'll try to open the shell on the street tomorrow and measure. Here is a photo a few weeks ago where I parked just right, platform near level, and downslope below the tailgate, had plenty of vertical space. looks easy but actually took time to get it just right, that trail I parked on undulated considerably. I carry a level.

IMG_0445.JPG

SLO_California

OK. I've been shrinking a bit, I'm previously six foot. I'll try to open the shell on the street tomorrow and measure. Here is a photo a few weeks ago where I parked just right, platform near level, and downslope below the tailgate, had plenty of vertical space. looks easy but actually took time to get it just right, that trail I parked on undulated considerably. I carry a level.

View attachment 622208

Appreciate the extra effort to measure!

I’ve been planning for a while to get a little bubble level for the cab so this could be figured out from the drivers seat. I’d get the bed set up level then look for places in the cab to put the level. If there isn’t a good spot I might stick it down with a little dot of JB weld. That way it can be leveled in the formable putty and cured perfectly aligned. Or maybe an insert for a cup holder so it’s temporary. ex circle cut of plywood with the level stuck on it.That insert can live in the glovebox to keep the cup holder open when not needed. Current vehicle (1992 Cherokee) sadly has no cup holders. I hope this idea might help or inspire someone else.

44771E58-78A0-4ABB-A39E-410B2560BA33.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles