AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

SLO_California

The truck in the article has a 2" lift on 285/75R16 tires. This gave 81" of clearance underneath the deployed cantilever bed platform.

measured on pavement. 73.5 to 74 inches when tent is opened. with that I can walk under entire platform surface

Just skimmed back through the thread to see if I missed any more info. Right near the launch announcement, Mario said 81 inch clearance with a build similar to my plan. Perhaps this changed a bit from prototype to production. That height would probably work for me. 74 inches probably wouldn't work. It would probably require parking on risers any time I wanted to stand back there.

Here's that article:
http://expeditionportal.com/news-at-overland-announces-new-tacoma-habitat/

SBDuller

Just skimmed back through the thread to see if I missed any more info. Right near the launch announcement, Mario said 81 inch clearance with a build similar to my plan. Perhaps this changed a bit from prototype to production. That height would probably work for me. 74 inches probably wouldn't work. It would probably require parking on risers any time I wanted to stand back there.

Here's that article:
I do not think they are talking about the vertical space between the ground and the open platform surface. There is lots of vertical space inside the bed of the truck with the tent opened.

edit: i missed that first quoted line about 81" of clearance under the platform. I honestly do not see that as a possibility.

Last edited:

GreatEscapes1

With my 3rd Gen Tacoma on OME Lift with 32” tires. The awning sits at around 74” on level ground. Usually when camping it sits a couple inches higher with the truck sitting on maxtrax or rocks to get level. AT also recommends the vehicle sits nose down a few degrees when the possibility of rain exist.

SLO_California

Here's that article:

Closing out the height discussion: Clearance under the awning (deployed bed) is about 75" (6'3") on Gen 2/3 Tacoma with 33" tires and 2" lift. Thanks for your measurements! It was also pointed out that unlevel ground could reduce this clearance. I also sent a message to AT because their promotional post said 81" from the ground. Janine says "I think with a Tacoma and a Habitat with a 2”-3” lift you are going to be right around 6’3”. We have one here and that’s exactly what it measures to. I think you would either have to do a bigger lift or purchase a taller truck lol."

What you guys all running for heaters in your AT toppers? Propex, Truma, Webasto, Mr Buddy or espar? I'm in the making of ordering a Atlas and I want a heater. Wanna know what has been tried and true and worked good for ya'll.

I believe AT has the option to install a Truma Varioheat on it's build-page. Pricey at $2500, but I've read good things about it. There's even couple pics of one installed! Pretty sure you'll need a house battery also for power.

I've used a Mr Buddy in the past and that's probably what I'll start out with to get the chill knocked-down in the morning and before bed(with proper ventilation).

I ordered my Summit with the insulated liner. Hopefully that- in combination with the insulated walls of the camper(I skipped all windows), Mr Buddy, and a warm sleeping bag- will do the trick.

clayinho

Has anyone put a 6.5' Habitat on a 04-06 Tundra Double Cab?

What I'm really wondering is if the 1" overhang on each side would look odd or out of place. AT Overland recommends the 6.0' Habitat for the First Gen DC Tundra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles