AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

To the Overland Expo East in Asheville NC Sept 29 through Oct 1...YES!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

:wings::wings::wings:
Can't wait to see it in person. I have already started planning the interior but have to sell the wife on getting the habitat so seeing it in person will be extra helpful. Also looking forward to seeing how much room is in the bed with that massive spare mounted back there.

shark31

The Habitat did fine work as a mobile search and rescue vehicle in Houston after Harvey. It allowed me to stay in badly flooded areas without worry of high ground.
IMG_3731.jpg
IMG_3732.jpg
IMG_3728.jpg
IMG_3727.jpg
IMG_3706.jpg
IMG_3698.jpg

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Wow! That is wonderful that you're out there helping. You're a role model for the rest of us. We're glad to know that the Habitat provided you with a high and dry base camp.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

kalieaire

Observer
The Habitat did fine work as a mobile search and rescue vehicle in Houston after Harvey. It allowed me to stay in badly flooded areas without worry of high ground.

That's pretty sweet. I'm actually building out my truck with Disaster Response in mind since I participate in ARES/RACES for my local area. I already have deployable antenna mast for a second radio to be used as a cross band repeater. It's going to be really interesting to compare builds!

kalieaire

Observer
It's kinda funny, but I didn't start having issues at rest until 12,000 amsl, not a place i wanted to be at the end of an already long day. Though, rest at 8k and then ascending to 13.8 wasn't so bad. Rest makes all the difference! I'm looking at an oxygen concentrator for those crazy colorado trails.

_SL_0504-fb_cover.jpg

SBDuller

It's kinda funny, but I didn't start having issues at rest until 12,000 amsl, not a place i wanted to be at the end of an already long day. Though, rest at 8k and then ascending to 13.8 wasn't so bad. Rest makes all the difference! I'm looking at an oxygen concentrator for those crazy colorado trails.

View attachment 418480

coming from 17feet amsl, i really need an overnight at 8500 amsl to be comfortable at 10k and above. the previous page foto at 10.5k i woke up with a headache. the wind blew all night and was stronger in the morning, I was still able to close the Habitat. I'd planned to stay at 7.5k just down the road, but it was too hot at 1400hrs, so drove to the top to the site pictured, much cooler with passing thunder showers and increasing wind.
I can't imagine an oxygen concentrator doing any concentrating at high colorado altitudes

SBDuller

How much does the tent move in the wind? I hated my rtt in wind. So loud.

I can not say how much the Habitat moves in the wind, not enough time in it yet..the first night spent was at elevation with increasing windy condition. I slept well despite the wind and headache. previously I can say I hated my RTT due to the noise level as well as the design not having guylines, nor adequate tensioning straps. The RTT had a convertible rainfly to enable sky viewing, but entirely inadequate means of holding the fly in place, it quickly came loose in the wind and created inconsolable havoc all night long. the Habitat will be subjected to the grit laden wind and the expectation is that it will withstand.

kalieaire

Observer
coming from 17feet amsl, i really need an overnight at 8500 amsl to be comfortable at 10k and above. the previous page foto at 10.5k i woke up with a headache. the wind blew all night and was stronger in the morning, I was still able to close the Habitat. I'd planned to stay at 7.5k just down the road, but it was too hot at 1400hrs, so drove to the top to the site pictured, much cooler with passing thunder showers and increasing wind.
I can't imagine an oxygen concentrator doing any concentrating at high colorado altitudes

There are portable oxygen concentrators rated to up to 13,123, or 4,000 meters. That's a pretty specific altitude.

So a little more on how most oxygen concentrators actually work. They typically use the method of adsorption, think of a sieve but for Earth's nitrogen/oxygen atmosphere. Practically all oxygen concentrators use this method. Back to the mechanics, a typical oxygen concentrator uses an air compressor, two cylinders filled with zeolite (the adsorbent), some tubes, some valves, some nozzles, a casing, a power supply, and some fittings for a canula.

Literally that's all it is in that package.

So what's the secret sauce inside an O2 Concentrator? The Zeolite. This Adsorption media basically attracts all the nitrogen out of the air, it's similar to how a sponge sucks up water in our atmosphere. But wait a second, what happens when it sucks up so much nitrogen that all the pores are full? This is why there are two cylinders.

As the compressor runs and brings the pressure to about 2 atmospheres, the pressurised air is directed towards one cylinder. Atmospheric Oxygen passes through the cylinder leaving behind the Nitrogen trapped in the zeolite until the zeolite adsorber is saturated with Nitrogen and no longer lets out pure O2. When this happens, after a few seconds, a valve redirects the pressurised air from the compressor it to a secondary cylinder. During these few seconds that the secondary cylinder is utilized, the first cylinder's adsorbent is being purged of nitrogen when it is vented and returned to ambient atmospheric pressure.

The effectiveness and efficiency of this type of oxygen concentrator depends heavily on a clean source of consistently pressurised air. In higher altitudes, due to lower pressure and small compressor, the companies cannot guarantee that the output will be 91% pure O2 and the batteries won't last long because the compressor is running continuously. But hey, we're tied to our trucks, and we have tons of power and we just need more O2 than what's available at say... 18,000 feet where the Guallatiri Volcano is in the Atacama Desert. :snorkel:

Reading on air compressors, compressor effectiveness is degraded roughly between 4-4.5% per 1,000 feet. at 20,000 feet, that's losing like 80% of the compressor's effectiveness.

I bet an Air Zenith OB2 connected to a 2.5 gallon tank and a oil/water separator should be able to do the job.

breakfasttaco

Thanks. I've seen the example on the website, I don't love how far the roof rack bars hang down when the Habitat is open so opted against the roof rack. Seems like I would put my own eye out on one of the corners, but I do need to be able to tie surf/snowboard bags to the roof .

Is it possible to do bars running the length of the habitat, as opposed to the width?

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke