AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

YF_Ryan

Any idea if an ARB Type awning could be mounted upside down on the roof rack, so when the Habitat is flipped open it would be rightside up? My wife and I really like the Deluxe ARB room we saw setup recently and would like to try and make it work on the Habitat.

Ordered Habitat through Equipt last month and starting to think about how I want to outfit it once I pick it up!

kalieaire

Observer
I would imagine mounting on the lid would be inadvisable due to clearance with the top of the shell.

Ideally you'd use a low profile plate to distribute the load of the awning and likewise use flush mounted hardware on the inside to avoid a clearance issue on the upper most lip of the cap.

YF_Ryan

I was thinking more along the lines of mounting the awning to the roof rack cross bars that are on top of the habitat. Not directly mounted to the lid.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Love the product.

Is there anyway to actually mount it to a Toyota Hilux?

I am based in Europe.

Contact Jens in Germany info@wohnkabinencenter.de we are working with him for European deliveries.

We would be interested in the measurements of your Hilux bed. Can you send me the bed outside and inside measurements for:

Width, front middle and rear
Length, left middle and right
Height from the bed to the top of the cab.

Year of the truck.

E mail me at Martyn@adventuretrailers.com thank you in advance.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I was thinking more along the lines of mounting the awning to the roof rack cross bars that are on top of the habitat. Not directly mounted to the lid.
That should work just fine

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

YF_Ryan

That should work just fine

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks.

As popular as the Habitat seems to be, i've been surprised how little people talk about them online. I guess the owners are just too busy out enjoying their Habitats to keep us all posted on their setups. I'll try and do my part starting as soon as I pick mine up!

Martyn

Thanks.

As popular as the Habitat seems to be, i've been surprised how little people talk about them online. I guess the owners are just too busy out enjoying their Habitats to keep us all posted on their setups. I'll try and do my part starting as soon as I pick mine up!

Word is slowly getting out there about the Habitat, many of our customers buy the Habitat so they can get away from the madness of daily life so I can understand their reluctance to post. We ask customers to send us pictures of them using their Habitats and we post up on our Facebook and Instagram pages.

I really like the pictures with the Habitat framed by beautiful scenery and the owners relaxing enjoying the view, which I think is everyone’s goal.

Production and sales are very strong, we are producing new models and versions, and expanding sales into Europe. So it’s exciting times. Seeing a Habitat on a truck driving down the road is becoming more frequent, and word of mouth is reaching a tipping point to where interest in the product is growing bigger everyday.

The Facebook group is open for membership just visit the page and ask for approval, it’s a quick and easy process.

Subi_Zed

Similar issues with the portable, you need to get at least one 3” hose into the Habitat, two if you want to recirculate the air through the heater. Potential paths could be via the side doors on the tent, or through a window in the side of the Habitat using a template with one or two holes for the vents.

If the Propex is fitted inside the Habitat you are looking at two one inch holes for the air intake and exhaust and a 3/16 hole for the propane line. The heater is small and could occupy one of the corners or where ever there is clearance to run the pipes. It’s very do able and inconspicuous.

Do you have a diagram or picture of your set up? I’m curious how it would look like in a goosegear drawer kit

Martyn

Do you have a diagram or picture of your set up? I'm curious how it would look like in a goosegear drawer kit

Most of the fitments are custom due to the different vehicles or where owners have located storage, fidgets, stoves etc.

Brian from Goose Gear has an under chassis unit on his own personal truck, but basically the heater will fit anywhere a box 14”L x 7”W x 4.5”H will fit with an inch or so all the way around for clearance. The exhaust and air intake tubes are 1” in diameter and come out of the bottom of the heater, you would need to work out where they would best be placed taking into account what's under your truck.

We have placed them under fridge slides, mounted in the bottom of a cabinet, on the floor of the bed with a thin metal protective cover. The possibilities are endless.

Next time we do a fitment I'll take pictures.

czukie

Anyone in the Denver area have a habitat they would be willing to show off/let me check out? Thanks

Paris0514

Just ordered mine from Rocky Mountain Four Wheel Campers. CHRIS has one on his personal vehicle. Juniper Overland is the outfitting company of RMFWC.

Great business and support from them thus far. Highly recommend.

uglybaby

Observer
Well, I’ve read all 52 pages of this thread, so I feel like I have a pretty good idea about how these things work, but here’s a question I didn’t see (maybe missed it): would anyone discourage using a Habitat with a bedslide?

When I had a cap on my Tacoma I always wanted a slide so that I didn’t have to crawl up into the bed to reach stuff. Windoors were helpful but didn’t solve the problem as well as a slide would.

I think you would lose 3-4 in of vertical space in the bed but the Habitat is so tall that it doesn’t seem like a problem.

There are slides rated for 1k lbs or more so I don’t think walking or standing on it would be a problem. I’m thinking about installing this combo on an F150, so I don’t think the extra weight will be a big problem.

If anyone else has considered this, I would appreciate your thoughts.

NH4Runner

Well, I’ve read all 52 pages of this thread, so I feel like I have a pretty good idea about how these things work, but here’s a question I didn’t see (maybe missed it): would anyone discourage using a Habitat with a bedslide?

When I had a cap on my Tacoma I always wanted a slide so that I didn’t have to crawl up into the bed to reach stuff. Windoors were helpful but didn’t solve the problem as well as a slide would.

I think you would lose 3-4 in of vertical space in the bed but the Habitat is so tall that it doesn’t seem like a problem.

There are slides rated for 1k lbs or more so I don’t think walking or standing on it would be a problem. I’m thinking about installing this combo on an F150, so I don’t think the extra weight will be a big problem.

If anyone else has considered this, I would appreciate your thoughts.

I've got a platform in the bed of my 2005 Tacoma that is probably around nine inches high. There is more than enough room in the Habitat when standing on the platform. AT's website lists 81" in the very front of the truck bed as the lowest height (http://adventuretrailers.com/campers/toyota-habitat/habitat-specifications/). You should be good to go with your bedslides.

uglybaby

Observer
I've got a platform in the bed of my 2005 Tacoma that is probably around nine inches high. There is more than enough room in the Habitat when standing on the platform. AT's website lists 81" in the very front of the truck bed as the lowest height (http://adventuretrailers.com/campers/toyota-habitat/habitat-specifications/). You should be good to go with your bedslides.

That's good info- thanks. It sounds like it will work out fine. I appreciate the feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles