AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

Thanks. I've seen the example on the website, I don't love how far the roof rack bars hang down when the Habitat is open so opted against the roof rack. Seems like I would put my own eye out on one of the corners, but I do need to be able to tie surf/snowboard bags to the roof .

Is it possible to do bars running the length of the habitat, as opposed to the width?

Thanks.
Would some L tracks work for ya. Then you could strap the boards down then remove the hardware easily when not in use

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Thanks. I've seen the example on the website, I don't love how far the roof rack bars hang down when the Habitat is open so opted against the roof rack. Seems like I would put my own eye out on one of the corners, but I do need to be able to tie surf/snowboard bags to the roof .

Is it possible to do bars running the length of the habitat, as opposed to the width?

Thanks.

We run aircraft track the length of the roof on both sides. If you don't want cross bars you could add studs or rings in the track to tie your gear down.

kalieaire

Observer
Thanks! What size L track? 72"?

There are multiple sizes available. There's even recessed L-Track as an option, though this might not work so well with the way the panels are made. The typical models go up to 100", but some of the seating based ones go up to 12'.

But if those lengths don't work, keep in mind, they can always be cut down to a specific size you want.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004

Thanks.
There are cargo track rails the length of the top that are used for mounting the cross bars. You can ask for the track only. Moveable tie down rings can be placed in the track at 1" increments along its length. This may be the solution for your needs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

breakfasttaco

Thats exactly what I'm looking for. I actually have a Habitat on order through Goose Gear right now. Should I reach out to Brian about adding the tracks or send you an email directly?

elcoyote

Thats exactly what I'm looking for. I actually have a Habitat on order through Goose Gear right now. Should I reach out to Brian about adding the tracks or send you an email directly?
Best to reach out to Brian and he will send us a change order.

SBDuller

This morning between 5 and 6 am T was about 25-27 degrees, I was up so to leave camp get on the road. Closing the Habitat up in darkness and low T proved difficult. First noted was inside tent coated in crystal breath, and with quickly chilling fingers getting the support bars off the unit then reattached was near impossible had to get in cab stick fingers in axilla for many minutes then go try again and next the unit would not close up due to fabric being stiffly frozen and gas shocks of no assist, I pushed the pole harder than I've ever had to and finally got it past vertical toward closure. For me, the greatest tool was using the Irwin clamp that Martyn had suggested, to do the final close-up, without which I would have had to wait for hours for the sun to warm things up. The other concern was the rubber latches were frozen and I had no idea what their functional T range is, clamping down I was able to get them closed.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
This morning between 5 and 6 am T was about 25-27 degrees, I was up so to leave camp get on the road. Closing the Habitat up in darkness and low T proved difficult. First noted was inside tent coated in crystal breath, and with quickly chilling fingers getting the support bars off the unit then reattached was near impossible had to get in cab stick fingers in axilla for many minutes then go try again and next the unit would not close up due to fabric being stiffly frozen and gas shocks of no assist, I pushed the pole harder than I've ever had to and finally got it past vertical toward closure. For me, the greatest tool was using the Irwin clamp that Martyn had suggested, to do the final close-up, without which I would have had to wait for hours for the sun to warm things up. The other concern was the rubber latches were frozen and I had no idea what their functional T range is, clamping down I was able to get them closed.

The latches are EPDM and are rated to -50C so you are good there.

The gas struts are 250lbs each and provide assistance in opening and closing. As with all struts their efficiency is reduced by low temperature. There is a balance here in having struts that in temperatures above freezing provide enough support to open the lid and not too much resistance to closing it. Once you go below freezing more effort is required to lift the lid.

We have learnt a lot from owners who have provided feedback to us over the past two years, XOverland opens and closes their Habitat without using a pusher pole. They open the lid from inside the bed of the truck by pushing up on it, and close the lid by standing on the tailgate and pushing up on the lid. In cold conditions I wonder if this may be a better approach as you may have more leverage on the lid, or the leverage point could be increased by having the pusher pole set further back on the lid to aid closing. Food for thought here, we will do testing and ask customers for feedback.

Glad the bar clamp trick came in useful, another customer generated idea we are happy to pass along.

SBDuller

IMG_0245.jpgOK good to know on the latches! I'll have to try the pushing from inside and from the tailgate...advanced manoevers. photo of standard wind force in DV, no problem closing into this breeze

rajacat

Will the tent dry in the stowed position? If the tent is closed while wet, does the water drain to the exterior thus leaving the interior dry?

elcoyote

Will the tent dry in the stowed position? If the tent is closed while wet, does the water drain to the exterior thus leaving the interior dry?
The tent itself absorbs little to no moisture. Any surface moisture present when stowed away will not dry but also will not go inside either. As with any tent, if stowed away wet, it should be aired at the first opportunity to prevent mildew.

Rivers2run

Observer
I go to Death Valley a fair amount and the winds can be a real issue. I had strong winds in Utah and had to take down the window overhang it was just snapping around too much. I use the Irwin clamp to close it I am often solo so the clamp is essential. I have the sleeping board so I have to move it around a bit, I will try the pushing from the inside. I had the truck oriented so it would catch the wind and help me to close it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles