AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Hi guys just wondering how big is the opening through the bed with the habitat installed.
I have a 6.5ft bed F150 I daily drive and always haul my tw200 and Wr250r at least twice a week. I see that there’s a Ram with the habitat and damn looks fine. Wondering if my bikes fit through the bed opening.
I have a 2017 Ram 6.5 bed with a Habitat. The clearance from the bed to the open lift gate is 41".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Now that people have had them a while. How are they in high wind when deployed? Seems like a lot of tent high up; interested to hear real world experience.
I don't carry an anemometer with me camping but I would guesstimate to have had mine in 30ish mph winds with gusts higher than that, perhaps 40-50ish in Death Valley. I sail a Hobiecat so I have a decent sense of wind speed. Like any tent, it can get noisy. In high winds I prefer to close all windows and pull down the window eaves.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

kai38

Explorer
Does anyone have a picture of a double cab Tacoma with a Habitat using a cut down PrInSu Design roof rack?
Thanks

Graton

Anyone have any tips/ideas/recommendations for building out internal storage in the Habitat? I think I will eventually cave ($$$$) and go the Goose Gear route, but want to get some cheaper storage options going in the meantime.

Thanks!

A few thoughts on where we are going for storage with our Habitat. We finally had a chance to have it out for an extended 2+week trip to Joshua Tree and Anza Borrego - prior to that most trips were 2-6 days. our only storage system has been plastic storage boxes, which I find to be a pain, but it gave us a good sense of what we need, frequency of access, and what we can leave behind. While I think the Goose Gear stuff is beautifully engineered, they are expensive and ultimately seem to change the Habitat into more of camper and less of what I love about the habitat - light and open space.

I'm currently experimenting with a few options - from ikea metal cabinets to Home Depot type metal storage systems (e.g. gladiator 3-drawer gearbox). They are all lightweight, cheap, and if they don't work out I can use them in my garage. I'll post pictures in the next few weeks as I try out different layouts and options. I completely agree with elcoyote - it is worth time prototyping with cardboard or foam core (art supply or Staples) to see what layout works and how it feels.

It would be great to share ideas, so let me know what options you are exploring.

kai38

Explorer
gladiator 3-drawer gearbox Looks like a good idea.
I'll have to go check them out in person. Topped off with wood would be nice too

Ark

I don't own a Habitat, but have gone through dozens of various storage setups, and settled on the conclusion that light & modular is the way to go for most storage items. Like you, I also think that having a large, open space in the bed is very beneficial in day to day use.

I plan to eventually get a pop-top camper, and will be doing custom, full-length drawers for the essentials that are always in the truck (recovery gear, cooking stuff, stove, etc.), but otherwise leaving the space above the drawers as free and empty as I can. Cheap, aluminum boxes will be used to transport items for trips - easy to organize and store, easy to remove when not needed. Most importantly, they are LIGHT. Lots of great options on Amazon UK that are way cheaper than the North American offerings.

ESW, happen to have any links for those boxes? How is shipping to North America?

I definitely agree with you. From a daily driver perspective, I also could really use a much more modular design. In addition to various bins and boxes, have you looked at chuck boxes? I like the idea of a fully stocked, relatively accessible camp kitchen that can just be pulled out for daily grocery duty or thrown in the back and strapped down for "expedition mode" in a couple minutes.

breakfasttaco

Has anyone experienced and issue where the bed of the truck is out of alignment with the cab? I noticed my bed is about .5" offset to the drivers side...I'm wondering if this is a result of body/bed flex from wheeling with the habitat on giving the bed a higher center of gravity relative to normal, or if the crooked bed is a general issue people have seen on 3rd gens...thanks

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Not saying the AT didn't contribute to it, but mis-aligned beds have been a common issue on the 3rd gen Tacos. Among mis-alignments in other panels (my hood was way off)...

Take it to your dealer and they'll either direct you to a bodyshop and cover the expense, or will fix it themselves.

When we fit a Tacoma Habitat we do not touch the bolts that hold the bed to the chassis, so I doubt fitting the Habitat would contribute to bed alignment issues.

We have found that Tacoma beds are not longitudinal straight, the sides vary in width from front to back in a wave like form.

We have seen the common spread of width at the tailgate, and other variations of the beds. Even new vehicles have variations of one type or another, when you work with hundreds of vehicles a year it's not surprising an more.

kalieaire

Observer
^^^^^^^^^^^ this.

Toyotas have a good amount of give here and there. One of the reasons why the frame is a C channel is for additional flex when crawling. Looks like crap compared to Ford, Chevy, and Dodge on that full size truck test track, but on the trail it's a different story.

And if you build for LT, you're going to cut off the the entire rear frame, cage it up, 3 Link, and replace the axle.... soooo. It's fine.

I think a lot of people are nitpicking because it's their first truck and they haven't been on a lot of trails so they don't know that they have to deal with things moving, bending, breaking, much less getting pinstripes on their paint.

In 10 years when your truck hasn't completely fallen apart through year after year of trails will y'all'll really appreciate the build quality of everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne