AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

Well, I think I can answer some of my own questions. After looking at your website, I see that you are going to offer a 5.5 foot model for an F-150. I also see that the tent is 15 feet long. That would imply a 2 foot overhang over the cab. Any chance you will ever design one for an 8' bed? This would do two things. Make the 8' bed people happy, and facilitate offering a short bed version with an optional extended overhang.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
We tried to make the Habitat to be as universal a fit as possible. Unfortunately vehicle manufacturers don't play by the same rules. I'd be happy to re-evaluate the fit for your vehicle but I'm guessing Mario has already measured up a Ridgeline and found out it is outside the parameters.

This is correct. I evaluated the dimensions and how the bed is constructed and it is not a fit. The Ridgeline has a very significant taper to the outside edges of the bed, the bed is wider than a Tacoma and shorter. The tailgate as a result is wider than that of a Tacoma. The only way to make a Habitat work for the Ridgeline would to be to design one specifically for it. The Ridgeline has historically been a very low production count vehicle and declining compared to other makes and therefore makes product development a non-starter at this point.

Gen 1 Honda Ridgeline sales
USA Canada
2005 42,593 3,512
2006 50,193 4,988
2007 42,795 4,519
2008 33,875 3,987
2009 16,464 3,546
2010 16,142 3,200
2011 9,759 1,713
2012 14,068 2,226
2013 17,723 2,122
2014 13,389 1,803
2015 520 229

elcoyote

Well, I think I can answer some of my own questions. After looking at your website, I see that you are going to offer a 5.5 foot model for an F-150. I also see that the tent is 15 feet long. That would imply a 2 foot overhang over the cab. Any chance you will ever design one for an 8' bed? This would do two things. Make the 8' bed people happy, and facilitate offering a short bed version with an optional extended overhang.

We already have offer a model for the 5.5 Ford, Tundra, Ram & Chevy, the overhang is approximately 31". To clarify, the tent and the lid do not change in size between models and truck platforms, only the lower section than mates to the truck bed changes.

We will be releasing an 8' model by the end of the year and we are collecting information from interested parties. If you want your 8' truck model to be considered during the design phase, drop me an e-mail at Mario@adventuretrailers.com with some truck specifications.

dcwn.45

Observer
Have you considered a screen door to the sleeping area for those of us who live and camp where there are mosquitoes?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Have you considered a screen door to the sleeping area for those of us who live and camp where there are mosquitoes?

We are currently designing a number of accessories for the Habitat. The rear Mozi net isnt currently on that list, but the net it probably going to be simple to DIY as there are plenty of attachment points in the rear of the Habitat and the rear of the vehicle.

peace

Gentlemen, Thank you for all the informative comments.
I plan on getting a '06 Tundra (6' 2" bed). Will the habitat fit?
Appreciate the help.

elcoyote

The 6' Tacoma Habitat will fit on the Gen1 with an adapter kit.

1st Gen Tundra Habitat.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

elcoyote

Anyone seeing the mounting hardware backing out after a few thousand miles?
Yours seems to be the only one we have heard about. It was removed and then reinstalled. I will be sending you an email about replacing your mounting with our new mounting system. It uses the Toyota cargo restraint track on the bed sidewalls for attachment.

kalieaire

Observer
Yours seems to be the only one we have heard about. It was removed and then reinstalled. I will be sending you an email about replacing your mounting with our new mounting system. It uses the Toyota cargo restraint track on the bed sidewalls for attachment.

Awesome, looking forward to the email!

In other news

After opening and closing a few dozen times I've finally come up with a system that works closing the platform every single time with ease. Since I have a swing out bumper, I can actually climb on top of the bumper, the gas can carrier, the spare tire and I'm on the top of the habitat. I simply walk over to the latches, my body weight counteracts the gas struts, and i just slide the latches in without any abrasion on the rubber.

It's also super cool because I'm standing on top of my truck watching everyone else still struggling with their rooftop tents. :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne