AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Has there been in any feedback as to wind performance on these? Nemo is a excellent tent maker so I assume they can withstand quite a bit. Realistically are we looking at 40-45MPH gusts before you would want to fold it up?
I have spent nights in the desert with wind gusts at 50 mph without issue. It's a tent and it can get noisy but that's about it. Keep in mind that unlike a ground tent or even a fold over RTT, it is secured around it entire perimeter and locked into its open position.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

carbon60

Explorer
Thought of another issue. I have 3 x 100W solar panels mounted above my shell. Anyone mount solar on the habitat yet? Thinking of that hinge point and trying to run my perimeter camera cables, water tank heaters, solar feed wires, comms antenna cables, etc etc. Lots of wires need to go to the roof and I suppose all hinge w the habitat.

Depends on the climate, but I've found that I generally want my rig to be in the shade, while my panels are in the sun. So they must not be permanently attached.

kalieaire

Observer
Depends on the climate, but I've found that I generally want my rig to be in the shade, while my panels are in the sun. So they must not be permanently attached.

That might be the case, but in the past several months of storms in California, staying in the shade from trees has been a terrible idea. Trees have been killing people left and right.

Outbackhack

What is the repairability / serviceability like for the Habitat?

I'm wondering mostly about the tent body itself, say you needed to remove it to repair a tear or something, is it a relatively straightforward process or does it require things like special tools or drilling out rivets, regluing/sealing anything?

Also curious about the composite side panels, are they replaceable or are they welded/bonded to the aluminum frame?

elcoyote

The tent is easy to remove should you have to repair it. The design has changed and the "frame & panel" concept is no more. The sides are now smooth .065 aluminum with composite aluminum panels bonded to that. Stronger and thicker than your truck body. If you damage the Habitat, your truck is at the recycler for crushing.

Rivers2run

Observer
I use Tear Aid or Tenacious Tape for minor field repairs on my tents. Works well, lasts a long time, and leaves no residue. I wonder how it works on the teflon impregnated material?

elcoyote

I use Tear Aid or Tenacious Tape for minor field repairs on my tents. Works well, lasts a long time, and leaves no residue. I wonder how it works on the teflon impregnated material?
I would bet Tear Aid would work fine in a pinch . For what it is worth we have been making the Habitat tent for 5+ years an no one has reported a tear yet. Upside of our design is that the tent can be removed from the base for repairs on a sewing machine.

elcoyote

So about the two rivets put on the side for the label that weren't there previously wo any consent.
There are more than two. Part of normal product update during service.

Last edited:

enicma

I see that the habitat tent uses teflon-impregnated nylon...Would I be correct to assume this is a CPAI-84 compliant flame-retardant fabric? Most tents seem to be so they can be sold in California and a few other markets. I've been trying to avoid retardants wherever possible but waiting for the outdated rules to change could take a lifetime.

I was checking out the iKamper page, they seem to have made two versions of their RTT to address this issue, which is pretty cool.

Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.

Nick

elcoyote

CPAI-84 is a standard that applies to ground tents. There is a different NHTSA fabric flamabilty rule that we must follow that is related fabrics used in camper applications. Our fabric has been tested and is compliant.

enicma

Thanks for the quick response. Do you know if the fabric meets the requirement on its own without the use of retardants? That's what I was trying to figure out.

Thanks

Nick

elcoyote

The fabric doe not have fire retardant added to it post milling. It is specifically milled with fire retardant fibers.

Tacofort

Whenever I purchase a new tent, typically I'll set it up in the backyard and use some sort of waterproofing spray on it. Is there a suggested spray for the Habitat?

elcoyote

No spray needed. Seam sealer for stitching at the overlapping joints only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior