AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

breakfasttaco

I have an issue where the seam glue has gotten in the zippers for some of the side panels, not allowing the zipper to pass all the way to open the panel. Any one with a recommendation for how to fix this?

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I have an issue where the seam glue has gotten in the zippers for some of the side panels, not allowing the zipper to pass all the way to open the panel. Any one with a recommendation for how to fix this?
Denatured alcohol on the zipper teeth works well to release the goop.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

breakfasttaco

I noticed something while folding up my habitat this evening. It looks like the 'right' side of the habitat flares out from vertical a bit more than the left side. I can fit more of the surf wax comb shown in pictures under the right side than the left when fully closed. Has anyone else noticed this on their Habitat? Are things like this normal or is this an issue for me? @elcoyote?IMG_0699.jpgIMG_0701.jpgIMG_0704.jpgIMG_0703.jpg

elcoyote

Not to worry, this is normal. The upper sides have some horizontal flex in them that will show when the gas springs are in their compressed position. The lid still will have proper closure because it is tapered.

elcoyote

ATO do you think it possible to spray these with bed-liner material?
You could if you wanted but you would have to be careful to appropriately mask off areas to avoid interference of moving parts.

breakfasttaco

Anyone have any tips/ideas/recommendations for building out internal storage in the Habitat? I think I will eventually cave ($$$$) and go the Goose Gear route, but want to get some cheaper storage options going in the meantime.

Thanks!

elcoyote

Anyone have any tips/ideas/recommendations for building out internal storage in the Habitat? I think I will eventually cave ($$$$) and go the Goose Gear route, but want to get some cheaper storage options going in the meantime.

Thanks!
I ways suggest that you first mock up the interior with cardboard mock ups of your design. This will give you a sense of the ergonomic space and if your gear is going to fit your storage spaces and be convenient to access. The first storage system I built for myself in the 80's was simply built from 3/4 plywood, Formica, glue and screws. While I'll admit that it was heavy, it survived 10+ years of Baja abuse and lead eventually to the more refined systems we build today. I suggest that you research basic cabinet building techniques, watch a few videos on you tube and have a go at it.

Keyne

Adventurer

Thanks!

This couple built simple wood cabinets and have been living in their Flippac so it can be done cheaply. Also add a floor to the bed and you could build and mount self made cabinets built with 80/20 aluminum rail. Bunch of info out there about 80/20 builds and it is light and looks similar to the Goose Gear stuff.

http://nonurbia.com/project/our-home/

http://nonurbia.com/project/our-home/

Subi_Zed

Hi guys just wondering how big is the opening through the bed with the habitat installed.
I have a 6.5ft bed F150 I daily drive and always haul my tw200 and Wr250r at least twice a week. I see that there’s a Ram with the habitat and damn looks fine. Wondering if my bikes fit through the bed opening.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi guys just wondering how big is the opening through the bed with the habitat installed.
I have a 6.5ft bed F150 I daily drive and always haul my tw200 and Wr250r at least twice a week. I see that there's a Ram with the habitat and damn looks fine. Wondering if my bikes fit through the bed opening.

The full size rear liftgate is 50.75" wide at the top, 63.5" at the bottom, and the top of the liftgate sits 21.5" off the rail of the truck.

There is a 0.75" internal lip top and sides. There are also gas struts and brackets to work with.

Hope that helps.

Keyne

Adventurer
Now that people have had them a while. How are they in high wind when deployed? Seems like a lot of tent high up; interested to hear real world experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles