AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

the406

It's pretty intimidating to post photos on here. I don't have anything lifted or fancy modifications. Everything is straight from the factory on my truck, but that is one of the reasons I love our Tacoma and Habitat.

It's pretty much a daily driver overlander. My wife and I share this one vehicle. It's a great off-road camper and daily commuter. It fits (barely) in our townhouse garage in the middle of the city.

We've made a few weekend trips, and we're currently in the middle of a summer adventure in the Rockies. The only issue we have is that the Tacoma bed is not watertight. We get a little water when driving in the rain. Otherwise, it's so awesome.

Inside we have a little fridge and potty. We have our gear in stackable bins that ride on the floor, but stack out of the way to give us some decent floor space. I don't have any cool slides or drawers. I did, however, hang some IKEA shoebox closet organizers from the top. They slide or stack when we're camped. At the moment we have everything pulled out for a good vacuum and scrub.
6781b1440859738c0a041f9f6ff883e4.jpg
05b67b269602ee120ac58f8505693cab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a great looking setup - simple, lightweight, easy. I like the fact too that you have the one vehicle, which is used for basically everything.
I would want the ability to use my truck bed for other things, namely hunting trips in the fall when I would need to carry other gear and potentially coolers with game meat, etc. versus the fully built out versions with sliders/fridge/storage. The Habitat seems to fit the bill.

When you mentioned water getting in the bed, where do you feel the leak is coming from?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Someone put an AT on a ZR2 already!!! Sheeshhh...

Oh and please if your doing the family of 3 or 4 with one especially on a 6ft bed please post some bunking set ups. I can see the AT on a 6ft bed possibly supporting a family pretty well. Especially using the Expedition Overland ladder entry for the parents penthouse after the Rug rats are zonked out on the ground floor.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
It's pretty intimidating to post photos on here. I don't have anything lifted or fancy modifications. Everything is straight from the factory on my truck, but that is one of the reasons I love our Tacoma and Habitat.

It's pretty much a daily driver overlander. My wife and I share this one vehicle. It's a great off-road camper and daily commuter. It fits (barely) in our townhouse garage in the middle of the city.

We've made a few weekend trips, and we're currently in the middle of a summer adventure in the Rockies. The only issue we have is that the Tacoma bed is not watertight. We get a little water when driving in the rain. Otherwise, it's so awesome.

Inside we have a little fridge and potty. We have our gear in stackable bins that ride on the floor, but stack out of the way to give us some decent floor space. I don't have any cool slides or drawers. I did, however, hang some IKEA shoebox closet organizers from the top. They slide or stack when we're camped. At the moment we have everything pulled out for a good vacuum and scrub.
6781b1440859738c0a041f9f6ff883e4.jpg
05b67b269602ee120ac58f8505693cab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am so happy that you posted. Not all overland vehicles have to be a super gonzo build out. The most important thing is to get out there with what you've got. The Ikea closet organizers are a brilliant idea!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

urbikesucks

Very curious about the family trip. Long bed? Bunks on the truck bed for the kids? Parents in the penthouse?

short bed, put kids in ground tent. may try awning room from cvt rtt to enclose back half. habitat does move around a lil when in sleeping area. looking at ways to fix. may air bag we were at 5900lbs loaded with gear and 4people. got 16,5mpg doing speed limit runnin toyo open country at2 load rated e 265 75 16 55psi.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Such a sweet product. I am also interested in accounts from families of four. I can see this on my next vehicle (not sure if it would be a full size or midsize)

Junior83

Observer
I recently stayed in my habitat with my girls. The easy thing for us though is my girls are both under 3 years old, so although we ordered ours with the two drop in panels, for the first night we tried sleeping 4 across. Which it may be obvious to some, but it's a lot narrower than we first imagined. LOL Don't get me wrong though, you can still comfortably sleep two if not three across. Next time we will be using at least one of the drop-in panels and if we use both, we'll utilize a ladder. For now we've been going through the bed.

Here are some pics of my setup.

6DA7AC2F-66CC-4AD9-B5DC-FE1F9E61DF54_zpsqm2boc07.jpg

E2B42A23-9F8B-4002-9329-9E2421693192_zpspzvn8liq.jpg

781F162C-9907-421B-8740-5FAAA9BF1C7A_zpskfzyfjzp.jpg

29018F3C-9797-48F8-956A-AD2BC4072229_zpst5q4pt0z.jpg

39E6C111-C85E-408B-BA12-D6A48BC4A298_zps7l63xiad.jpg

4E096635-6C34-4724-8DED-423184530ED2_zps1yifzj28.jpg

abiker

Question about sleeping in these - it seems less stable than a Flippac - is it pretty noticeable if your partner is moving around? Either in terms of waking the other person up to pee in the night, or just changing while you cook on the tailgate?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Question about sleeping in these - it seems less stable than a Flippac - is it pretty noticeable if your partner is moving around? Either in terms of waking the other person up to pee in the night, or just changing while you cook on the tailgate?

The Flippac had a direct support down to the side of the hood to stabilize the overhang. The supports were placed about 3/4 of the way out on the lid so the force was almost directly downwards and close to over the front axle. The Habitat has more of a cantilever as the supports are closer to the hinge and the attachment point is behind the rear axle. These changes in geometry can result in more movement in the suspension of the truck.

We have the same movement in our trailers when they are fitted with roof top tents. In this case it's due to the active airbag suspension. This can be eliminated by the use of a rear stabilizer. If you want to stop the suspension movement then using something like the stabilizer maybe in order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94