AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

rajacat

It would great if the Habitat was offered with a barn door option. My F150, with the tailgate down, has very big step to reach the interior. I've never seen the Habitat in person but from the photos, it looks as if this would also increase the relevant headroom for entry. With the F150, It would be much more convenient to use the bumper step for access. Also for short stops such as rest stops and stealth camping, access would be more facile verses having to scale the tailgate and close it to be secure.
In addition, when the tailgate is down, it's a long way down.
While camping, I will be making many trips from the interior to the exterior. Easy access/egress would make the Habitat much more livable.

Last edited:
It would great if the Habitat was offered with a barn door option. My F150, with the tailgate down, has very big step to reach the interior. I've never seen the Habitat in person but from the photos, it looks as if this would also increase the relevant headroom for entry. With the F150, It would be much more convenient to use the bumper step for access. Also for short stops such as rest stops and stealth camping, access would be more facile verses having to scale the tailgate and close it to be secure.
In addition, when the tailgate is down, it's a long way down from the tailgate.
While camping, I will be making many trips from the interior to the exterior. Easy access/egress would make the Habitat much more livable.
I was thinking the same thing. I did a road trip in a new Ford transit and the doors on the back are so nice when you open them up all the way. If something like that was offered for the habitat I was jump on it. If not I may end up building something.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

SBDuller

I go to Death Valley a fair amount and the winds can be a real issue. I had strong winds in Utah and had to take down the window overhang it was just snapping around too much. I use the Irwin clamp to close it I am often solo so the clamp is essential. I have the sleeping board so I have to move it around a bit, I will try the pushing from the inside. I had the truck oriented so it would catch the wind and help me to close it.
perhaps you have seen these small metal ITW G-Hook from mil spec monkey. i got the idea from Moogle, who had his oem clips snapped in high wind DV.IMG_3570.jpg

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
In addition, when the tailgate is down, it's a long way down.
A barn door will not increase access head room bit it does change the angle of approach making access a bit easier. The Habitat has a sloped rear that would make barn doors problematic and because every truck make and model has a different rear profile, adding that many more SKUs would be impractical for us at this time. The newer F150 and Raptor have a slick built in step that makes access really easy as shown on this 2017 Raptor. There are similar aftermarket tailgate step solutions that make access easier.
0b947b0340d42eeece7a21b0dd6198b3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A barn door will not increase access head room bit it does change the angle of approach making access a bit easier. The Habitat has a sloped rear that would make barn doors problematic and because every truck make and model has a different rear profile, adding that many more SKUs would be impractical for us at this time. The newer F150 and Raptor have a slick built in step that makes access really easy as shown on this 2017 Raptor. There are similar aftermarket tailgate step solutions that make access easier.
0b947b0340d42eeece7a21b0dd6198b3.jpg

Do you know of any aftermarket tailgates like that for the RAMs?

elcoyote

Do you know of any aftermarket tailgates like that for the RAMs?

Not a tailgate but fold down steps are available like the Step Daddy and the Truck N Buddy. There are others that will pop up when you Google tail gate ladders

elcoyote

Awesome. Thanks

You're welcome. Personally I prefer to carry a step ladder with my truck. With a 3" lift and 37" tires I find the step ladder comes in handy when I'm tucking in the Habitat fabric or taking the MaxTrax off of the roof. I also like to use it for photography to get that different perspective.
d6df36f87078bee20890c143124c7db0.jpg

You're welcome. Personally I prefer to carry a step ladder with my truck. With a 3" lift and 37" tires I find the step ladder comes in handy when I'm tucking in the Habitat fabric or taking the MaxTrax off of the roof. I also like to use it for photography to get that different perspective.
d6df36f87078bee20890c143124c7db0.jpg

I used that ladder to get in at the expo . I really liked the setup.

kalieaire

Observer
I've been opening my habitat from the inside, I'm too lazy to grab the poles to use them as a pusher especially since I haven't wrapped them in any grip tape. Basically once the latches on either side are popped off, I jump inside and push. I throw my recovery bag into the end as ballast to bring it low enough to install the support beams, but tbh, I can sleep inside solo without putting the supports in since the struts are strong enough to keep me from bottoming out.

But yeah, even in the cold (wyoming/colorado above 8,000 feet) I've never had a problem and the habitat has been through below freezing weather.

As far as closing, I close from the inside by pulling on the support poles. I stuff the tent in at the edges, then I use a ball bungee to keep it from extending out too far. Lastly to close, I just climb up on top of the Habitat and my body weight does the rest. The latches goes right in. Same as what Moogle does.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/tacoma-habitat-at.471441/page-5#post-15026499

Mountain Glamper also uses the plant hanger rope cam ratchet straps w/ the ball at one end. This way he just needs to pull on the ratchet until it's close enough and these cams have between 75-150lbs of load capacity on the models which is enough.

At some point I'll just install some anchor points so I can just use lashing straps.

ohanacrusader

Adventurer
I am in the process of working with Mario on ordering our Habitat for the family but have a few questions after reading some threads and reviews. How easy is the Habitat to remove and reinstall after Adventure trailer does the first installation (wiring connect and disconnect and weather sealing)? Is the top of the bed caulked on the truck it self that would leave either a mess every time removed or permanent caulking? I have read a few reviews where the Nemo tent has a few leaks has anybody experienced this or have further knowledge of this happening?

Also I know there aren't as many Ram Habitat's out there yet but would any one have pictures of the mounting brackets to the Ram bed or the connection points for the brackets and the wiring? Are those brackets in the way when the Habitat is removed for utilizing the truck bed? Do any Ram owners have any leaks where the Habitat mates with the truck bed?

I have looked at every picture and video probably a few hundred times but cant seem to find the above information, I would appreciate any feed back. I know Mario and the guys do excellent work and we really look forward to enjoying our Habitat once we pick it up next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94