Blender, My LX450/FZJ80 + FJ45esk + GM + Land Rover crazy concoction

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Details details. This is the start of the latch mount and cable system for the #LX45. The tailgate was drilled and countersunk for the screws from the back side. The little bracket for the cable is drilled and tapped to ease assembly. The locking toggle clamp bolts on top and reaches around the bed post. The cable bracket also has a counter sunk hole for the cable mount and the fastener is tig welded on the back side. I will be welding a hook latch tab to the bed post for the bail to work with....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

I finished the latches for the tailgate. I made a block out of bar stock and TIG welded it to the bed post. I also got the P-side caught up to the same spot. The tailgate now holds itself up and locks in place.

I need to make the small cables that will hold the tailgate at 90 degrees when down next....

Overall, pretty happy with how it turned out.

synonymous

My pay plan is still current for a bit more. The problem is that I host about 9000 images and I am not sure if they will fit in a 'free' account. I am still looking into options.

I HOST my own for ~$100/yr. I get infinite flexibility. Look into hosting your own site.

synonymous

BTW, if I happened to miss it in this thread, where did you get your press-brake tooling from? Readi-made, or did you have it burned out custom?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
BTW, if I happened to miss it in this thread, where did you get your press-brake tooling from? Readi-made, or did you have it burned out custom?

I designed it and had it laser cut for me. It is the largest cost in the press brake, but is VERY handy because it is modular and you can do some interesting transitions. I would probably do it slightly different if I was to do it again. A gooseneck upper would be really nice for U-shaped flanges. The tooling is all modular so I can make whatever I want as needed.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
My OCD is kicking in a little....

I added some neodymium magnets in a piece of heat shrink tubing to the tailgate cables. This makes them stick to the bed post. I hope they won't flap in the wind on the highway.....

Thinking about adding this light to the C-pillar. It mostly has white LED lights that I can wire up to be a bed work light or backup light. There are also 3 red LEDs I can use for a 3rd brake light.

I am also still trying to figure out what to do with this area. I just don't like that little gap between the fender and cowl which I guess is 'stock'. I think I am going to make a little fill panel that fills in this area completely?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
You could build that filler panel into the fender. Less fasteners.

That is a thought. Weld only the back side of the seam to make paint easier.

I might eventually dream up a use for this space....might be better to just make it a bolt on part.

I'm still trying to figure out the shape.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
More questions than answers....

Should the plate go here?

Should I make this hole into the air cleaner inlet?

The FJ60's use a vent on either side for engine bay venting. And with a V8 in there, there's going to be a lot of heat, so either yes, use it for cold air inlet, or no, use it for engine bay heat extraction.

The obvious spot for the license plate is right in the middle, where you have it. Symmetry for symmetry sake? Or be different. Hmmm.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The FJ60's use a vent on either side for engine bay venting. And with a V8 in there, there's going to be a lot of heat, so either yes, use it for cold air inlet, or no, use it for engine bay heat extraction.

The obvious spot for the license plate is right in the middle, where you have it. Symmetry for symmetry sake? Or be different. Hmmm.

There are the big louvers in the hood. I hope that extracts some heat. I am definitely leaning toward using it to get cool air to the engine. It seems high enough it should work well for most everything I do. Maybe make a little adapter plate that could screw on that would let you stick a section of pvc pipe on for an emergency snorkel. Use the pipe to store the spare axle shafts when not being used as a snorkel.....

Details.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz