Blender, My LX450/FZJ80 + FJ45esk + GM + Land Rover crazy concoction

Loubaru

Adventurer
A suckdown winch is used to compress the front suspension when needed. When doing really steep climbs it can help keep the front end from unloading causing front to lift and feel sketchy. You can also use it to help with body lean sometimes. Another neat trick is that when you get turtle'd out on the belly pan in the snow you can suck the front end down which will help compress the snow under the car by adding sprung basically. Then let up on the winch and you can usually drive out backwards.

It's just another tool in the toolbox.

Thanks, thats what I was assuming but I couldn't think of any reason why you'd want to do it other than to get in a garage or something. All makes sense now though.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thanks, thats what I was assuming but I couldn't think of any reason why you'd want to do it other than to get in a garage or something. All makes sense now though.

Yeah, we probably don't see them too often over on Expo. I tend to run my rigs a bit different than most over here.
I like something that has the broadest possible capability. That includes getting out on some very difficult trails far from home.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

Tig welding is done on the #LX45 grill. It's kinda crazy to think about how much I changed on this project. Fun stuff.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
You don't realize how many holes a firewall has until you want to close them up.

I was trying describe your rig to a friend and felt like I was trying to describe an elephant to someone who has never seen one...:sombrero:

Jack

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
You don't realize how many holes a firewall has until you want to close them up.

I was trying describe your rig to a friend and felt like I was trying to describe an elephant to someone who has never seen one...:sombrero:

Jack

That is too funny. Thanks for sharing my story!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Hey look, more TIG welding on the #LX45 tub. No way! I actually enjoy it, so much less drama than mig welding. The other side is gonna be easy compared to this one, it had all the seams from cutting out the fuel tank sump. I also tried tig brazing for the 1st time on another section, that seems to be a neat tool to have for non structural fill.

Hey look, more TIG welding on the #LX45 tub. No way! I actually enjoy it, so much less drama than mig welding. The other side is gonna be easy compared to this one, it had all the seams from cutting out the fuel tank sump. I also tried tig brazing for the 1st time on another section, that seems to be a neat tool to have for non structural fill.

Are you planning on smoothing and filling, or just painting over? I know you don't lean towards the show rig side of things, but can't help thinking how pretty it could be. Either way, amazing vision. Thanks so much for sharing!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Some shop tech, how to make sheetmetal patches for stuff like the firewall...

Cover the area you want to fill in two layers of crossed masking tape. Then cut out the template with an sharp small razor knife.

Transfer you sticky template to some sheetmetal that is close to the same thickness of material as what you are trying to fill.

Cut the shape out roughly. I use my HF 4x6 bandsaw in the vertical position.

Sand it down to the edge of the tape.

Remove the tape, clean off any glue residue, and fit into your hole.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Are you planning on smoothing and filling, or just painting over? I know you don't lean towards the show rig side of things, but can't help thinking how pretty it could be. Either way, amazing vision. Thanks so much for sharing!

Probably not. I honestly don't have the patience to take things that far just for looks. I'm more interested in the function of it. The slightly proud TIG weld is going to be stronger and more fatigue resistant to cracking in the long term.

The floors are going to get custom cut modular thick rubber barn mats over the top to keep the noise and wear down.

Thanks for watching!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Another night of TIG welding on the #LX45 in the books. I tried some tig brazing with silicone bronze for the seal surround at the top of door opening. Kinda fun.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Patching holes on the #LX45 floor. Cutting wafers out of bar stock to match the hole opened up with a step bit is the best way I have found to do this. I use a magnet to hold the wafer in place for the tack weld with the TIG welder.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Trying to get caught up....

More TIG brazing with Silicone Bronze on the upper door seal area. I dig it, but I think I get it a little hot. Always trying to learn.

I did like it much better when the tub was on the chassis. I'm really looking forward to getting it back together.

Experimenting with some soft lower die forming in the press. I needed to make some small tabs to weld on the air cleaner mount to retain the hose clamp a little better. You basically form the part into a piece of rubber using a male upper die out of scrap....it can be square, round, or whatever.

I got all the bolt on brackets from the tear down cleaned up to head off to powder coat.

I have a tubing bender? How do I work this thing again?

I bent up the A to C spreader finally. This was a fun part to bend up and cope. One end was a pretty simple 90. The other end was a wierd cope on the bend transition to square tube.

I can't say I have TIG welded much tubing stuff yet. I rather enjoyed it vs the MIG honestly. There is so much less noise and fuss.

An interesting shot up under the dash. It is kinda neat to see it at this angle with the tub stood up on its back.

cj-10

This thing is awesome. Fab work is top notch. I look forward to the daily updates. Keep up the good work it is very inspiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste