Blender, My LX450/FZJ80 + FJ45esk + GM + Land Rover crazy concoction

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Clecos are great! I use them a lot in my Airstream resto-mods.

Attachments

• D7543EB7-E55F-498F-968A-8B617FE915E1.jpg
    D7543EB7-E55F-498F-968A-8B617FE915E1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 45

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Continuing the work on the lower rear bed panel...

I made some templates of the tail lights with center marked holes and played with the layout till I was happy. The lights have to be spaced down slightly to clear the hinge locations.

Once I was happy with the layout I pulled the rear panel off for final welding. I also have to tap all the holes for the fasteners since they are blind because of gas tank clearance.

Nothing too exciting, but it feels good to be making some progress....

borison

Adventurer
Things are coming along really well. Looks great. I was wondering about fender coverage. I thought I had read that pavement travel to your destinations would be a priority. Will they cover enough for regular road and highway/freeway travel?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Things are coming along really well. Looks great. I was wondering about fender coverage. I thought I had read that pavement travel to your destinations would be a priority. Will they cover enough for regular road and highway/freeway travel?

Performance on the road, specifically the interstate, is a key goal......basically the ability to go 80mph with cruise control.

Tire coverage. Luckily I live in a state that doesn't require it. I haven't had issues with traveling and my flat fender either. I'm sure at some point I will get hassled, but I take a 'legal in my home state of registration' stance, it isn't a commercial vehicle. For what I want to do on the trail it just isn't practical to cover the tires. I would be replacing the fenders after every run. The narrowed body and wider axles further complicate the issue.

That said, if it was an issue for some reason, it would be pretty easy to make wider fenders for a future owner or whatever. I think they would look like big dumbo ears though with a 56" wide body and an 80" overall width to the outside of the tires....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

Lights mounted. I am waiting on some press in studs to use for the tailgate hinge mounts, but I will start bending up the tailgate tomorrow.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Baby steps for the #LX45 . Studs for the tailgate hinges are pressed into place and the panel is now tack welded in its final home. Now to make the tailgate.....

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Looking great. What taillights are those? I like that they are a flush mount as opposed to having to cut the whole light out.
Jack

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Looking great. What taillights are those? I like that they are a flush mount as opposed to having to cut the whole light out.
Jack

Thanks. I really like them too. The surface mount with a thin all in one stop-turn-tail- reverse took a bit to find....

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Optronics/STL68RB.html

With the way I have them mounted they are behind the bumper about 2" also so they are well protected which was another key design feature I wanted to include.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

The tailgate is roughed in. It still needs a trim on the passenger and some clean up. The hinges are all mounted up and it function well. Next I need to mount up the hinges and figure out the cable system.

Only one small garage tip....

Sometimes it is worth planning ahead. I had to make a 1/2" flange for the top edge ( 1st bend ) before moving on. My press needs a flange width of about 1.25" for a 90 bend so I had to make a cut down after the bend. In order to clamp that flange I had to make it a little longer so I could get it on the edge of the table. It cost an extra inch or two of material, but it made the cut very easy to do with the jigsaw. Small win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles