Blender, My LX450/FZJ80 + FJ45esk + GM + Land Rover crazy concoction

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Mini-project tonight.....

I had some scrap 1 x 3/4 aluminum bar stock that I turned into a battery hold down. I added a little lightness. Yes, I will trim the all-thread down.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Messing around with the door latches for the #LX45 along with some layout stuff. I am still waiting on my TJ mirrors so I can finish the design for the door hinges.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Tonight's bite.....

With parts trickling in for 3-4 different projects, I need to bounce around a bit to speed things up. I started laying out some of the intake plumbing and the bracket that will hold the filter. I am not 100% sure I dig the bracket for the filter, but I have a goal of not having anything mounted to the fenders. I want to be able to roll the hood back and remove the fenders to work on anything in the engine compartment.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Rough intake layout on the #LX45 is done. Now to make some brackets to hold up everything.....without attaching anything to the fender. I still need to drill and weld in the MAF mount, but it hasn't shown up yet. Eventually I will make a duct from the cowl vent to the front of the donaldson filter. Might have to play with some fiberglass or 3d printing for that!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Today I work on the door project.....

I wanted the hinge to bolt into the stock FJ40 hinge mount slot. The door side needs to use a Jeep TJ mirror. The custom door width changes the offset slightly. I also want the doors to be able to lift out.

If my McMaster order would show up I could add proper bushings and pins.

Hopefully tomorrow I can round up some more fasteners and make the lower hinge. I will also add the holes for the mirror to the upper hinge. The door might even hold it self on tomorrow! Then I can start to mount the paddle handle latch and make the strike plate. If all goes well I will be able to start making the aluminum door next week!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Coming along nicely... I dig all of the details going into this rig. Like the speed holes in the battery box and hold down. No, you don't need to do those, but man do they ever look great!

NCFJ

Adventurer
I truley love this build. Somehow it makes what I do look easy by comparison. Keep it up!!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
2nd hinge done along with a test fit of the Jeep TJ mirror. Overall it all worked out pretty well.....

The next step is to attach the wood door to the hinges and do a final check fit and trim. I can then cut the pocket for the door handle and make the strike plate.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

The mockup door swings and latches. Now to figure out how what the final shape of the window will be and figure out this 2pc door thing is going to work.....

ingtar

Option 3 - It's functional around the mirror, and looks like a design feature. The other two look like the rear of the cab doesn't line up with the front of the cab, so the door tapers to suit. Option 2 is worse than Option 1 at this.

Thanks for the thread, I've been watching this since the start and learnt a lot; mostly tool envy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles