Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354

Thread: Blender, My LX450/FZJ80 + FJ45esk + GM + Land Rover crazy concoction

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffregen Motorsports View Post
    When most of the work is one off, it's hard to justify spending the time to design things on paper. By the time I get the design going, I can usually have something roughed out of metal and be well on the way to getting it done.

There is a balance for sure, but I do this stuff because I like it.
    I think it depends on the project. I can see that storing information for certain projects, but not for others.

I to like fabbing stuff....

Wow, it is looking like a beast from that angle, love it! Can't wait to see it in it's finished form.

Ward
    2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (LJ)
    2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with AT Habitat #17
    2015 Dodge 5500 Motorhome finished and on the road (and off the road) (For Sale)
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...5500-motorhome

I'm really liking the proportions. It's not too wide, the front end is clipped for a compact approach, and the ride height is perfect. It reminds me of an old Power Wagon, but scaled down.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffregen Motorsports View Post
    I'm really liking the proportions. It's not too wide, the front end is clipped for a compact approach, and the ride height is perfect. It reminds me of an old Power Wagon, but scaled down.
    Thank you. With the doors pinched it gives it a bit of different proportions since the cabin is only 56" wide now.
    I can't wait to roll it outside to get more than a few feet away from it.

Phase one of making the top.

I don't know about this non-metallic stuff. It's all warm and full of life. Ew.
    These ribs will come in handy to help define the shape of the main top panel to the same arch as the top of the windshield.

I also knocked up a new top die for my experimental project with a larger radius. This is 1" heavy wall tubing for a 1/2" radius. With the way the top is designed I can weld anything to a 1" thick tang and it can be held in the top of the press by the clamp plates.

The front wall of the top will wrap around the front of the windshield frame where there is two 6mm fasteners stock. I will be using the spine on the top of the windshield frame for a bulb seal I think.

The rear wall of the top is at the same angle as the front windshield part, but also has to transition around the rear corners. I had to do this in a few parts. This will also be trimmed to the top profile using the wooden bucks as a guide.

There was a slight learning curve with how to form the top panels. The 1st test part I did I bent from the tight end to the loose end....which would be 6 towards 1 in this pic. That just didn't work as well as I wanted. I ended up reversing that so I started on the 1 side and bent things tighter and tighter towards the edge of the panel. This ended up working a lot better.

This is what the top panels looked like after a little tweaking of the press brake. I ended up needing to add a decent amount of top truss tension to the press to keep the bend angle consistent across length of the part. 43" of 1/8" 5052-H32 aluminum does cause a workout on the top truss design.

This bend is basically a bump-formed shape where the radius is variable or larger than the top die radius.

Now to spend the next week trimming all this stuff to fit and tacking it into an assembly....

I will follow this up with some shop tip stuff. Photobucket is giving me fits.

Badass!

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354