SAS 2005 Xterra

articulate

Expedition Leader
In my travels along the information highway, I came upon this crazy dude who performed a solid axle swap in the late model Xterra:
P1010196.sized.jpg

P1010175.sized.jpg

It's pretty insane, huh? Those tires are 36" tall. While a solid axle swap may not be entirely appropriate for a vehicle built for expedition travel (a violation of the keep-it-serviceable "rule"), but this is good stuff for a hardcore trail rig. He appears to have scored the axles economically at about $60 each. Both came out of a late 70s Ford Bronco (9" and D44).

If you're interested to see more, there is a forum thread here:
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=189&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=225
It opens to a page in the middle of the discussion where he posts pictures of the final product.

Here's his webapge:
http://ponyboy.alpinetribe.com/index.php

Raise your glass to the pioneers :beer:

Mark

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Nice find Mark......!:shakin:

When the "WonderRunner" grows up....I want her to look like that! Check out his Moab Pics!.....pretty Kewl alright!

P1010161.sized.jpg

There is a guy over at 4wdtrips.net that goes by the name "Alpine Spirit" that has a SAS and his truck looks just like that except for some red paint on the skid and sliders. I wonder if it's the same guy. (nope!....upon closer inspection....it's a different year XTerra.)

Here is "Alpine Spirit"

100_2041.sized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

+ d

Adventurer
I've always kinda liked the Xterra, but that one is straight ************!

On a sidenote lets hope the new Xterra redesign is in the 'right' direction.

The original Xterra, born in san diego = :D

The last face lift, a heavy handed Japanese number = :smilies27

The new redesign, supposedly another san diego effort = :elkgrin: ?

articulate

Expedition Leader
flyingwil said:
Cool find! That's my wife's dream car!
:ylsmoke:
Does she prefer IFS or straight axle? Looks like you can have either one (with a little sweat).

It takes some serious dedication to be one of the first people to do something significant to a new model vehicle. I thought you guys might like it.

Mark

blaze one

Adventurer
Very cool xterra for sue , there a few SAS x's out there
And it is much easier since Calamini Has a SAS kit made for them too

I am curious as to why a SAS rig would not be a good choice for a expedition rig
I could see it being a bad choice if you had to make a lot of custom parts , but what if a person used a common axle/spring setup instead , suchas a Jeep or toyota . Parts are easily attainable for those .
I guess it may be hard to find replacements for custom brackets though , but you could always make spares and carry them in the spare parts box.

Doin_It

Adventurer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cool find! That's my wife's dream car!
I'm not sure Wil if you mean your wife wants an Xterra, or if you meant she wants one all done up like this one. Cause if thats her dream........ you've got a "cool" wife.

Bergger

Explorer
Thats awesome. My wife just got an Xterra and it's even the same color as this one. Hmm? I wonder if she'd let me do that to hers? I doubt it, but she is letting me put some sliders on it so I guess thats a start.

2265461620068136811jTGBpe_th.jpg

david despain

Adventurer
Scenic WonderRunner said:
Nice find Mark......!:shakin:

When the "WonderRunner" grows up....I want her to look like that!
P1010161.sized.jpg

/QUOTE]

if you want the runner to look like that its going to need a whole lot more than a dana 44. for instance different sheet metal, different interior, different drive train, different auto manufacturer badge on the tailgate :hehe: oh u just meant the sas. yeah that would be cool

ZooJunkie

Explorer
My coworker here has a SAS Xterra and he resides in SoCal. It's a white X that was used by Calmini as their prototype vehicle. Very nicely done. Sorry, no pics. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94