Enjoying the VUE

balexander87

Observer
by the way the vue has a honda engine right ?

For the 2008-2010 models, the Honda 3.5 engine was an option on the base XE trim. The XR and Redline trims got the GM 3.6L V6 (and a 6spd trans).

Not quite the reputation of the Honda engine, but GM uses the motor in tons of different vehicles in various forms. So far, it has been dead reliable and plenty powerful. Day to day I get around 17-18mpg. On the highway, it'll do 26-27mpg. So can't complain much there either.

justcuz

Explorer
Exploring is like an addiction, eventually you will reach a plateau with your current dosage and require more to be satisfied.
Many people do this in stages, buying multiple vehicles along the way.
I would suggest that you skip the evolutionary stages and assess what your future needs will be and build on that.
As an example I started with a VW Baja Bug, then a Jeep CJ, 4x4 shortbed truck, 4x4 long bed truck, 74 Jeep Cherokee and finally a Suburban. I have been driving Suburbans for the last 30 years or more. As my lifestyle and family situation changed so did my vehicle requirements. Try to plan ahead 5-10 years in your lifestyle and skip a few vehicle purchase cycles to save a few dollars.

Recovery gear, can be transferred to different vehicles. Realistically most any vehicle with a couple inches of lift, tires 2 sizes bigger than stock and traction devices or integrated systems like your Vue, will get you 90% of the places you'll ever want to go.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Exploring is like an addiction, eventually you will reach a plateau with your current dosage and require more to be satisfied.
Many people do this in stages, buying multiple vehicles along the way.
I would suggest that you skip the evolutionary stages and assess what your future needs will be and build on that.
As an example I started with a VW Baja Bug, then a Jeep CJ, 4x4 shortbed truck, 4x4 long bed truck, 74 Jeep Cherokee and finally a Suburban. I have been driving Suburbans for the last 30 years or more. As my lifestyle and family situation changed so did my vehicle requirements. Try to plan ahead 5-10 years in your lifestyle and skip a few vehicle purchase cycles to save a few dollars.

Recovery gear, can be transferred to different vehicles. Realistically most any vehicle with a couple inches of lift, tires 2 sizes bigger than stock and traction devices or integrated systems like your Vue, will get you 90% of the places you'll ever want to go.

Here in lies the bullet point of what I am saying. 90% is a very high percentage. and the other 10% you will use your head and not go there!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have to admit I've been toying with the idea of picking up a 1st gen FWD Vue as a DD. I'd be looking for one with the 5 speed manual trans, surprisingly not that difficult to find.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Martin, get a first gen redline if you can find it....actually quite a nice ride....has a Honda v6 too....VEEEETTTTECCCCCCC pooooowwwaaaaaa ha ha ha!

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I have to admit I've been toying with the idea of picking up a 1st gen FWD Vue as a DD. I'd be looking for one with the 5 speed manual trans, surprisingly not that difficult to find.

I had one. In this altitude they struggle to get out of their own way. Decent mileage though: mid 20s.

balexander87

Observer
The GM 3.6 in mine will do mid-20s on the highway. And it has plenty of get up and go.

Just became aware of a potential transmission issue with the early second gens. 3-5-R waveplate has a tendency to explode. Something about not being properly stress relieved. Thankfully, I still have another 2 years under an extended warranty GM has for this specific issue. Fingers crossed that if it decides to go, it does it before the warranty is up!

balexander87

Observer
Found this obscure video. Not technically a VUE, but the Captiva is basically the same thing. I really, really need to find somewhere to safely explore this vehicle's limits!!

(If the time stamp doesn't stick, skip to final 30 seconds)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

balexander87

Observer
Looks like you have no reason to look for anything else...
Great setup...

Thanks. I had to drive 600 miles in a day last Saturday. That was by far the most time I've spent in it in one go and I was pleased with how comfortable I was.

Was looking through the local ads this evening checking the car lot listings for the heck of it. Lots of sweet trucks out there, but I think I like the whole "paid for thing" more right now tho!

I just keep finding reasons to love this thing!

ihatemybike

Explorer
Maybe this will blow yer mind.

This 2002 Saturn Vue was built for Saturn of Anaheim as a promotional vehicle for the first production year of the SUV. It was completely modified by GT Motorsports of Anaheim, and had several sponsors such as Pro-Comp Tires, Sway-A-Way shocks and Mastercraft seats. It was also featured at the 2003 SEMA show in Las Vegas. Still street legal, smog legal, and ready to race or drive daily.

ï Custom built Sway-A-Way Suspension
ï TIG welded roll cage
ï Mastercraft race seats
ï Pro-Comp mud terrain tires
ï American Racing wheels
ï Momo quick release steering wheel

SaturnVue.jpg

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/3226

balexander87

Observer
Ha! That thing is sweet. I seem to recall seeing it at some point. Most likely in a Google Image search, but never saw the whole album! Thanks for the link!

How fun would that thing be?!

balexander87

Observer
Made a couple of small additions to the VUE that I expect will really help me to enjoy it even more!

Got a Class III Curt hitch and a sweeeeet new bike carrier. Will be nice not having to stuff a muddy bike inside anymore!

5TJfKFR.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke