Tuff Stuff RTT review

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Ya I have the TuffStuff ladder and it seems telescopic to me. It's just way to short. My tent base is at 7'6" and I believe the ladder itself is 7'. I need another 18" to be at the proper angle so 8'6" Tepui ladder may work. I'll have to look into it. How long are the extensions? How much useable extension do they offer. I'll also need to find an annex extension.

bfa4f29258439ac22db422572ffa6567.jpg

494c15919b15cdee7070e34091632068.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

offthepath

Adventurer
Negative Review of Tuff Stuff Tent

After getting several nights in ourTuff Stuff tent and seeing some awful weather I finished my review of the Tent. The full review and pictures are HERE at our website, offthepathadventures.com.

The intro the the article....

Roof top tents are becoming the new trend in camping and overland travel, offering many great features. But make no mistake there is a price to pay for that chic new piece of hardware with many tents climbing into the $2000 plus price range. Enter the budget contender, Tuff Stuff Roof Top Tent, which has a proven layout and a price tag positioning it as one of the most affordable roof top tents on the market. However the question is, what do you get for that budget price from Tuff Stuff? I think both sides of the coin could be argued, but ultimately I'm not sure you get your money's worth and I question if as a whole the design of roof top tents are lacking when compared to their ground counterparts. Read more.........

IMG_0747-600x450.jpg

IMG_0868-600x450.jpg

If after reading the article any owners of Tepui, CVT, etc could post feed back I'd love to hear if any of the issues I mentioned are addressed in a higher end tent.

Thanks

BTW...
lacofd, cool trailer!!

Box Rocket

Ya I have the TuffStuff ladder and it seems telescopic to me. It's just way to short. My tent base is at 7'6" and I believe the ladder itself is 7'. I need another 18" to be at the proper angle so 8'6" Tepui ladder may work. I'll have to look into it. How long are the extensions? How much useable extension do they offer. I'll also need to find an annex extension.

bfa4f29258439ac22db422572ffa6567.jpg

494c15919b15cdee7070e34091632068.jpg

Yeah that ladder is the sliding style ladder. I guess you could still call it "telescopic" since it extends to get longer, but generally when people refer to the telescopic ladders they are talking about this style that is used on all Tepui tents.

Tuff Stuff 4x4

Tuff Stuff does sell a ladder & annex extension combo. You cannot use the ladder extension & annex in unison without having the annex extension on.
How does the tepui ladder extension hook up to the TuffStuff ladder. I just bought there RTT and my ladder is to short. My tent floor height is about 7'3". Is the Tupui ladder extension enough? Did you order direct or from someone else. I need one for the Overland show in just over a week. Just need to know if it will work or not.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
I ended up just buying an additional ladder. So now instead of a 2 sections of ladder I have 3. The extensions were just not long enough. It only cost like $20 or so more for then entire ladder. I also drilled out holes at different areas for the drop in pins so I can basically use it anywhere.

spikemd

Explorer
Tuff Stuff does sell a ladder & annex extension combo. You cannot use the ladder extension & annex in unison without having the annex extension on.

TuffStuff sells the extension ladder and extension annex the cheapest anywhere. I definitely need it on my lifted range rover and lr3.

I looked into replacing the ladder with the extended ladder from Tepui, but I have friends with the tepui and the ladder sux. It hurts your feet and takes forever to adjust since the rings are different spaced. I found the plain fixed ladder much easier to use and easier on the feet.

As far as the long review posted up further, his main issue was rain and water influx and the loud rain fly. You will have all of those same issues with a CVT or Tepui. Its the same fabric and same desogn as the Autana. In fact, yiu might have more water issues with their 'sky' version since it is more of a window than fabric. These tents ate bot meant to be 4 season compatible and i have stayed dry in freezing rain and snow. In extreme wind with no rain, I actually remove the rain fly and it is much quieter.

sternebrau

I got my Tuff Stuff a couple weeks ago, picked it up locally for $1000 Cash. How can you turn that down! I ordered a Tepui ladder extension and a CVT accessory channel so I can install the annex without removing the travel cover. All works well. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't see how these don't come right out of the same factory in China. I'm not arguing that Tepui has someone who is full time QC, but it's hard to see any issued with my $1000 Tuff Stuff.

Looks like Ocotillo, down Fish Creek? Either way, great photos! Did you pick the tent up from Orange County? I see a few CL posts for local pickup in OC. Did they install the tent for you on site? Did you get the awning from the same dealer, and if so, how much? (Sorry for all the Questions...)

CMARJEEP

Observer
I just ordered a Tuff Stuff scout yesterday. Can't wait to get it and mount it to the truck. Extremely impressed with their customer service so far. 10 minutes after I ordered Amador called me to setup shipping. Then he followed up again this morning to let me know that it was being shipped out today. Plus you can't beat the price and free shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior