New here - just got an Ambulance....

rlrenz

Explorer
I've never seen one with screens on an ambulance, but I'll bet that they offer them with screens.

Dirtfarmer515

I took the back rest off for the bench seat, I found the vertical supports by drilling holes, they are about every 10". They are 2" x 2" aluminum. I know these are way overbuilt and made to withstand a rollover. I'm wondering how many of the supports I can cut out, then weld back in a "header" around for the window, or really I guess my question is how big of a window do I cut in? I could do two or three smaller ones if needed. I'll try to get a picture of where the supports are later today. Here's one of us at the Space center, I thought it was good how we had the same paint scheme as the shuttle!

42435.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
I believe the standard on the wall studs is 11"" OC, but that may vary between manufacturers. I have no idea why such an odd measurement, but that is what I have read in several places.

8-5b2cd369be.jpg

My ambulance module has a side window that is about 1' x 3', and was factory installed by Wheeled Coach.

HPIM1135.jpg

And some people have installed even larger windows. This is a picture of 'Tribe of Five Ambo'.

10168124_759280187424545_4004935150073286059_n.jpg

rlrenz

Explorer
Ambulances are designed to withstand a roll-over accident, and still have the doors open without outside assistance. Since you don't need to comply with ambulance design requirements, you can cut supports to install a window. If you need added support to the outside skin to ensure that the window frame will be rain-proof, you can install cut-to-size pieces of 1x2" aluminum channel or similar between the existing frame elements. These can be held in place with pop rivets, structural epoxy, or even something like 3M 5200 marine adhesive/bedding compound.

Dirtfarmer515

Alright, time for some updates, sorry for the long absence! The rig rode like a lumber wagon, I put a Kelderman air ride on the front and the difference is night and day. Those guys are great to work with, I'm only a couple od hours away from them, they really helped me make it ride great. Before I had to have both hands white knuckle on the wheel, after just one white knuckle will do it :)

I did open the wall between the cab and the module up, that made a big difference on the view from the back and has helped with passenger car sickness. The air ride has help with the sickness to as it has made it a better ride.

I bought a wheel chair lift from VanderHaag's salvage truck parts. It was in a city transit bus, went in pretty good, just a little head scratching, but got it figured out.

We just got back from a trip to Yellowstone. Stopped on the way out at Mt. Rushmore, hit the Big Horns and stayed on the NE side of Yellowstone at Silver Gate, MT. Did the park for a few days, then left via Beartooth pass. Caught the Badlands on the way home. It was a great trip with no breakdowns!

15027679602940.jpg
15027680757873.jpg

Attachments

• 20170719_173917.jpg
    20170719_173917.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 45

patoz

Expedition Leader
Any updates? We would love to hear if this vehicle worked out for you and your daughter.

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
nice truck glad you're enjoying it - i know you posted a while ago ... but my c4500 had two plug-ins for 15a and 30a shore power. one was to run the hvac in the box (30a), the other was just to keep the battery charger going.

i wonder if it had the 2 double doors on the side for wheelchairs? havent seen that - my rig is a similar setup to yours but that side door is just a single, then there is a big door next to it that is separate (the HVAC used to be at the top of that compartment, but now it's my lavatory with composting toilet)

hope all is well and you are enjoying more adventures with your rig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles