Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New here - just got an Ambulance....

I've never seen one with screens on an ambulance, but I'll bet that they offer them with screens.
    Bob Renz
    Project ID: The Fambulance

I took the back rest off for the bench seat, I found the vertical supports by drilling holes, they are about every 10". They are 2" x 2" aluminum. I know these are way overbuilt and made to withstand a rollover. I'm wondering how many of the supports I can cut out, then weld back in a "header" around for the window, or really I guess my question is how big of a window do I cut in? I could do two or three smaller ones if needed. I'll try to get a picture of where the supports are later today. Here's one of us at the Space center, I thought it was good how we had the same paint scheme as the shuttle!

42435.jpg

I believe the standard on the wall studs is 11"" OC, but that may vary between manufacturers. I have no idea why such an odd measurement, but that is what I have read in several places.

8-5b2cd369be.jpg

My ambulance module has a side window that is about 1' x 3', and was factory installed by Wheeled Coach.

HPIM1135.jpg

And some people have installed even larger windows. This is a picture of 'Tribe of Five Ambo'.

10168124_759280187424545_4004935150073286059_n.jpg
    Patrick (Pat) Ozment
    DoD District Fire Chief/EMT (Retired)
    'Protecting Those Who Defend America'

2004 Ford F250 Super Duty PU, 6.8 L Triton V10
    1993 Ford E350 Wheeled Coach Type III Ambulance to Camper Trailer build.
    My DECKED Truck Bed Storage System Test and Review is Here.

Ambulances are designed to withstand a roll-over accident, and still have the doors open without outside assistance. Since you don't need to comply with ambulance design requirements, you can cut supports to install a window. If you need added support to the outside skin to ensure that the window frame will be rain-proof, you can install cut-to-size pieces of 1x2" aluminum channel or similar between the existing frame elements. These can be held in place with pop rivets, structural epoxy, or even something like 3M 5200 marine adhesive/bedding compound.
    Bob Renz
    Project ID: The Fambulance

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234